Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Carb issue?: VN800 Dies on Highway

Been reading through some of the carb posts but I don't really see anything specifically like what I'm experiencing so I thought I'd take a shot at it here and see what you guys think.

95 VN800 Stock Intake, Carb (as far as I know), V&H Straight Pipes, 12,500 miles total. This bike is pretty much bone stock except the exhaust as far as I can tell. I just picked it up locally for 1k. My intent is to convert it to a classic but before I do that I need to work out the mechanical bugs and get rid of the dirty air recirculate system.

So, if I drive it on the highway at sustained speed for 10-15 minutes, it acts like its running out of gas. If I stay in the throttle it dies. I pull over, wait 20 seconds, it fires right back up and away I go.

If I pull the clutch and coast it for 100 yards or so, it eventually evens out and continues running until the next time it tries to die.

My initial feeling is the fuel bowl is running dry. Maybe a incorrectly configured float or sticky needle?

Second feeling is something to do with delivery to the carb, possibly the fuel line clogged or the Petcock. I can see that it's run by vacuum, has anyone experienced a vacuum issue causing this?

Any thoughts or suggestions are welcome.

Thanks!

·
Registered
28 Posts

Been reading through some of the carb posts but I don't really see anything specifically like what I'm experiencing so I thought I'd take a shot at it here and see what you guys think.

95 VN800 Stock Intake, Carb (as far as I know), V&H Straight Pipes, 12,500 miles total. This bike is pretty much bone stock except the exhaust as far as I can tell. I just picked it up locally for 1k. My intent is to convert it to a classic but before I do that I need to work out the mechanical bugs and get rid of the dirty air recirculate system.

So, if I drive it on the highway at sustained speed for 10-15 minutes, it acts like its running out of gas. If I stay in the throttle it dies. I pull over, wait 20 seconds, it fires right back up and away I go.

If I pull the clutch and coast it for 100 yards or so, it eventually evens out and continues running until the next time it tries to die.

My initial feeling is the fuel bowl is running dry. Maybe a incorrectly configured float or sticky needle?

Second feeling is something to do with delivery to the carb, possibly the fuel line clogged or the Petcock. I can see that it's run by vacuum, has anyone experienced a vacuum issue causing this?

Thanks!
I hope someone else knows about this as i am having the exact same issue.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had same problem. remove the cap and put a cup coaster over the petrol tank hole to stop fumes. try blowing into the cap vent hole. You should be able able to blow into cap. If not undo the screws and check the small plastic one way rubbers . If faulty you may need to replace the cap.

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
a possible cause is sometimes when filling up the gas tank too high some fuel will get into the gas tank air vent line at the top of the gas cap opening, so if gas gets in that air vent line and when you're on the highway for a few minutes the engine will die because there's a vacuum in the gas tank which is shutting off the flow of fuel to the petcock, the fix is to blow out that gas tank air vent line at the gas cap of any gasoline in there that is plugging the air vent line to the tank

·
Premium Member
1,127 Posts
Most likely a venting problem as mentioned, but if you find that it is not a venting or fuel issue, you might want to do a diagnostic on the ignition coils. Sometimes you get similar symptoms when they are going bad. It seems like a fuel issue, but it is the coils not firing when they get too hot.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Have you opened the carb drain screw and emptied the float bowl,could be water in there,my bike once died on me,I took the float bowl of and it contained what looked like the plastic wrapper of a box of cigarettes, the bike was brand new and it had an air filter so it must have been some sort of petrol build up,does this happen only in cold weather,if it's cold enough petrol can freeze in the main jet,the bike will tick over but that's all ,

·
Registered
16 Posts
I had same problem. remove the cap and put a cup coaster over the petrol tank hole to stop fumes. try blowing into the cap vent hole. You should be able able to blow into cap. If not undo the screws and check the small plastic one way rubbers . If faulty you may need to replace the cap.
I fixed my problem by removing the two little plastic pieces in the fuel cap with the small valve rubbers to inspect. As my bike was 3rd hand when i got it. Some one had turned the bottom valve up side down. ( it can go either way) so it was blowing not sucking air and causing a air lock. I reversed the lower plastic vave and fixed the problem..Before the bike kept feeling that i was being blown by wind and slowing.
All works fine now.

·
Registered
1 Posts

Thanks!
theres a vacuum actuated pump so to speak on the fuel petcock that goes bad or the vacuum line going to it might be bad also, if your running kurkuran ram intake theres some mods you have to do like i encountered with those symtoms and the pressure of the ram air intake causes the floats to shut off at highway speeds, the air vent on the carb is moved to a port you drill on the side of the air cleaner to attached that hose there to equalize the air pressure scootworks explained this on their site! hope this helps!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts