Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have fuel leaking out of my carbs. I dont know when they were last cleaned, so i am going to take them apart and clean them.
For my old bike ( 82 Yamaha Vision ) i would take it apart, and then put the pieces in an ultrasonic cleaner with pine-sol in it.
That should be ok here as well right? I dont think the carbs are made out of any different materials.

Also, anything in particular i should look at when i clean?

Thanks !

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hi!
Actually, different manufacturers use different metal alloys. And it means that the aluminum in most cases is not the same! There could be some difference even on same manufacturer different carb models! Ultrasonic cleaner would be OK but be careful with any chemical products. I'm using only a soapy water.

·
Registered
101 Posts
My recommendation would be to just use carb cleaner. You can soak the jets in some for a while, and blast the carb body in all the little passages. Then use compressed air to blow out the passages, then repeat once or twice more just to be sure everything is clean.

If you have fuel leaking from your carbs you probably have two issues. Firstly, your float may be stuck, or not adjusted to the proper level, or your float valve is worn. Secondly, the petcock on our bikes is diaphragm operated, meaning fuel should not flow in the "ON" position unless the bike is running.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The petcock is leaking, so i know i need to work on that. I've seen numerous posts on that , so i'm going to dig into them.

The bike sat for close to a year, thats the primary reason for cleaning. That and the fact the bike idles fine, but dies with anything but the slightest touch of throttle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts