Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was just reading about this and how some riders have went to the "Dark side" so they can get tires that last a lot longer.

I was shocked by this. Motorcycle and car tires are shaped vastly different. I just wouldn't do it.

What do you all think?

·
Registered
248 Posts
After 10k miles on it, I would do it again.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3

·
Registered
248 Posts
What tire are you running and why? How does it affect ride/handling?
Running a General Altimax HP (now discontinued) 195/65R15. I checked on Darkside Data Base to see what everyone else was running, this way I know what fits. I was concerned on my first ride after mounting it not knowing what to expect. Going into a turn, it seemed like a heavier bike, had to lean into it more. After riding about 10 miles, it felt normal. Where I find the biggest improvement is when I have to ride on tar snakes and chain link bridges (have a lot around my area). I used to try to avoid them, now I hardly notice. It's so funny when I ride with friends on the bridges and they try their best to keep straight and I have no problem. I can still have fun on the twisties grinding the pegs. I've taken it up to 100 mph (not on a regular basis) without any concerns or issues. My tire is currently at 6/32, so I guess in another 10k I'll need to look for another car tire to mount up.

Attachments

·
Registered
62 Posts
I would NEVER do it !
Car tires are not made for bikes. A car has no leaning angle, the tires cannot handle that.
O.k. cruisers don't have much leaning angle, but at least I use whats available. With a car tire,
the bike could suddely flip to the inner side. Some folks just want to save money, I'm sorry, my
life is more valuable than a set of good tires.

·
Registered
248 Posts
....... A car has no leaning angle, the tires cannot handle that........
A car can slide sideways without a tire failure unless it hits something. How much force is there?

........With a car tire, the bike could suddely flip to the inner side......
Have you ever seen that happen? If that happened, the sudden change would cause an accident. Have there ever been an accident attributed to car tires on bikes? Plenty of Youtube videos showing car tires on bikes in turns....It doesn't happen.

If it's not for you, fine. Don't make up your own facts to support your argument. Show proof not conjecture and I'll listen.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
Not me. I'll stick with motorcycle tires.

·
Registered
121 Posts
No thanks. I wouldn't feel comfortable with or trust a car tire on my bike. Especially since my rides typically involve a lot of twisties along with heavy acceleration/decel (ex. up/down and around small mountain ridges and hills).

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Many, many, people use Darkside on their cruisers, baggers, and touring bikes. Despite years of reading dire warnings and watching the finger-wagging, and extensive searching, I've yet to read about any accident confirmed directly caused by using a car tire. Frankly, any accident even alluded to as possibly caused by a car tire seems to be a mythical beast.

I have roughly 15k miles on Darkside on my VN2K. That's almost 4x more miles, and still going, than the normal MC tire and I have yet to encounter a situation where I felt unsafe because of the car tire. Yes, I was incredulous too. Then I tried it for myself just to separate the wheat from the chaff, so to speak.

But, as someone else said, if you are afraid of it don't do it. One must always respect the bike no matter what tire or whatever; but being afraid of your bike, no matter what reason, is not a good place to be.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have roughly 15k miles on Darkside on my VN2K. That's almost 4x more miles, and still going, than the normal MC tire and I have yet to encounter a situation where I felt unsafe because of the car tire..
So have you noticed a handling difference?
Ride quality/noise?
Worse cornering ability or confidence in cornering?

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
Of course I notice a difference. Anyone saying there is no difference hasn't drove on regular MC tires for long enough to forget how they are, or they're pretty liberal in their opinion of "no difference".

General ride quality is as good or better, noise is minimal to non-existent except if there is a big groove or raised seam in the road. Occasionally I will hear a "slap" going over of those as you do in a car too.

Turn-in requires a bit more effort but I never really noticed much of the "stand up" effect some report. That may be somewhat related to the specific tire or tire profile as some go fair bit wider while mine is a 205 vs the stock 200 MC tire.

I don't make a habit of dragging the floorboards through the curves, but I have on occasion, and never felt at risk or out of control.

·
Registered
2,080 Posts
I did it! For over 75,000 miles I did it! I rode twisties (western Colorado and Tail of the Dragon), I rode Super-slab, I rode everywhere. Not once did I consider the car tire have a handling deficit when leaning. It does handle 'differently' though and it took me a few hundred miles to get used to its feel.

I did change back to a M/C tire though after changing the wheel from spoked to cast. Because the inner-tube is no longer present and giving sidewall support the handling was not as 'crisp' as before. That and treadwear was not at long as I hoped it would be.

I may search for a care tire with a stiffer sidewall for future use and return to the Darkside.

·
Registered
3,029 Posts
the vn2000 I just bought has a new 205 car tire on the back. sure felt strange on the ride home. will most likely be swapping it for a bike tire soon. how do you guys run these?
Very easily. Give it a while and be sure the pressure isn't too high or too low. Should be able to find plenty of info what people are running in the same tire (if you mention the specific make & model).

For me on the VN2000 just eats way too many tires to consider a MC tire on the rear ever again. A new rear every year or more often at the price for a 200/60-16 MC tire and installation is absurd.

·
Registered
26 Posts
10yrs back when I worked for a motorcycle dealer, we got sent to tire training. They told us car tires are not made to be on bikes, and doing so could break down the sides of the car tires, possibly causing a very unsafe situation. Now they also said you don't hear about failure because most didn't know problems came from the car tire, or they died in the crash. Now weather that is all true or not, I am not risking the life of my wife, or my self just because I was a cheap _ss on tires. I have many friends who do the car tires and love them. Still my personal opinion is ( no way ) .

·
Registered
26 Posts
https://forum.ironbutt.org/index.php?threads/examining-the-“dark-side”.9/
A quick search for (reasons not to put a car tire on a motorcycle) came up with a few professional results. I liked the link above because it shows some of the differences in how they are made different its a good read for those interested.
Thanks for posting that. Weather you want or don't want to use a CT on your bike, that is one of the best reads I have ever seen.
I am very happy I never did a CT on my bike even though it sucks I have to put new tires on almost every season.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Me too a new rear ever year and a new front every 2 years and the worst part is the rear has some life in it but it will not make it through our annual vacation of about 3 thousand plus miles so i start with a new tire. I know some brands last a lot longer than what i use but Ive been caught in some horrible rain 2 up pulling a trailer and that's when i'm glade i have a soft tire with a little more grip.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Ouch, This is only my personal opinion I have over 25k miles on my CT and expect to get another 10k out of it, as far as the wife goes it was the happiest day of my life the day she ran off with her boy friend now I do as I choose there are lots of single ladies around to socialize with, life can be take at any moment I dont live in fear.

This is not intended offend or irritate anyone just what I believe Ride safe

·
Registered
26 Posts
Ouch, This is only my personal opinion I have over 25k miles on my CT and expect to get another 10k out of it, as far as the wife goes it was the happiest day of my life the day she ran off with her boy friend now I do as I choose there are lots of single ladies around to socialize with, life can be take at any moment I dont live in fear.

Man I'm so sorry that sucks, my wife is my soulmate, and it's so exciting to always have her with me, weather she is riding her own bike, or decided to ride with me. It's a very satisfying and amazing relationship. I spent most of my life hooking up with woman and living that life, I would never trade. My wife and my life are worth the extra money. I do not mean this as a slam to anyone's life style.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.