Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Premium Member
467 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Facts:

1. Had two pulleys installed and told the tech to put the belt at the loose end of spec (1.5mm to 4mm deflection at 10lbs, so 4mm is the loose end of the spectrum).

2. Rode about 50 miles to a fun new gearing and NO belt noise. Don't know the tension, but it was supposed to be 4mm

3. Next day, belt chirp squeak starts up and is pretty bad. Its bad even rolling the bike without the engine running. Belt feels very tight to me, but I didn't have a tool to test it.

4. Take the bike back that day, and they say the tension was 3mm at 10 lbs. (It felt a lot tighter to me, but I didn't measure it.) They loosened it to 5mm. It felt significantly looser to me. No noise over maybe 250-300 miles over the next week.

5. Then today the same chirp squeak starts up again, and once again the belt feels very tight. (I need to get a tool.) I KNOW it is now too tight again --- I can feel it.

My question: how in the world can the belt tighten like this over the course of riding the bike? This suggests that **something** is moving, right? The rear tire or the pulleys? Suspension? What?

Thems my questions. I'll get a tool hopefully tomorrow and check the actual tension, but this is a bit frustrating and puzzling to me. There shouldn't be this much change, should there?

I think its time I read Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance and resign myself to the art of personal belt tensioning. It's time. :smile2:

Thanks much,
Dan

·
Registered
1,642 Posts
I read Zen. It's not going to help you with your belt tension, but you might feel better about it.

This sounds like your axle is moving back but the physics don't make sense to me. After setting the tension try brushing a small line of paint from the axle head to the frame. If the axle moves, the paint line will be broken and you'll be able see the movement.

·
BOTM Winner, June 2015
842 Posts
Sounds to me that the axle nuts weren't torqued properly and the axle is moving, as Steve suggests. If you have them reset the tension, ride for about 60 miles and then check the torque on the axle. After that, if the torque is at spec, then as Steve suggests, get a paint pen and mark the axle nut and axle so if it happens again, you can see if that's the culprit. Also check the torque on the front pulley nut too.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts