Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

And the Parenting failure of the year award goes to...........scooterman in the white batting cap!

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Wow!

Definitely strikes a nerve with me when I get cut off by some lady with her face stuck in her cellphone with occupied car seats in the back, or I'm already exceeding the speed limit and a minivan full of kids blasts by me... but this one is just beyond me...

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Leaving the kid out of this because that is the OBVIOUSLY STUPID thing. When he pulls out he doesn't even look. He is looking straight forward and pulls right out and hits the corner of the other vehicles bumper. I mean LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Leaving the kid out of this because that is the OBVIOUSLY STUPID thing. When he pulls out he doesn't even look. He is looking straight forward and pulls right out and hits the corner of the other vehicles bumper. I mean LOOK WHERE YOU ARE GOING.
Yea; I think there is a lot of stupid going on here.

It looks to me like the little taxi trike thing is blocking a lane of traffic; and skooterman changes lanes without regard for someone being next to him. I think the guy in the car is distracted and doesn't even react until the skooter is under his bumper.

Finally, on the far side of the street; where does the road end and the sidewalk begin. I would be afraid to walk!

I don't think I could drive in New Deli, Shanghai or anywhere like that.
First I would want to kill someone, then I would be scared I was going to kill someone.

Scott

Attachments

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Yea; I think there is a lot of stupid going on here.

It looks to me like the little taxi trike thing is blocking a lane of traffic; and skooterman changes lanes without regard for someone being next to him. I think the guy in the car is distracted and doesn't even react until the skooter is under his bumper.

Finally, on the far side of the street; where does the road end and the sidewalk begin. I would be afraid to walk!

I don't think I could drive in New Deli, Shanghai or anywhere like that.
First I would want to kill someone, then I would be scared I was going to kill someone.

Scott
Leave it to VulcanForums to take stupid and extrapolate all the little stupid pieces within the greater stupid! LOL

But I agree. Actually I don't think the driver saw him at all, if he was behind him, 3/4 of his passing maneuver there would've been in the drivers blind spot. The driver is expecting him to pass and not driving very fast to begin with, not expecting him to begin his turn back into the lane while not yet clear of the vehicle!

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Leave it to VulcanForums to take stupid and extrapolate all the little stupid pieces within the greater stupid! LOL

But I agree. Actually I don't think the driver saw him at all, if he was behind him, 3/4 of his passing maneuver there would've been in the drivers blind spot. The driver is expecting him to pass and not driving very fast to begin with, not expecting him to begin his turn back into the lane while not yet clear of the vehicle!
Just doing what we do best. I do have to say the people of this forum are very detailed and thorough with our own actions and thoughts. That's why we are still riding.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
You ever wonder if stuff like this is fake though?

It's an awfully good camera (given the quality and sharpness in low light like that, obviously it's grainy from being a GIF, but other than that), it's in a fixed/tripod mount position, and the 'impact' and the jump happen perfectly centered on the camera. Everything about that clip sells a well composed thought-out shot with a good camera.

Not that coincidences don't happen, but this isn't exactly a cellphone picture or something. Wonder if it's actually a clip from some sort of a show or something?

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
You ever wonder if stuff like this is fake though?

It's an awfully good camera (given the quality and sharpness in low light like that, obviously it's grainy from being a GIF, but other than that), it's in a fixed/tripod mount position, and the 'impact' and the jump happen perfectly centered on the camera. Everything about that clip sells a well composed thought-out shot with a good camera.

Not that coincidences don't happen, but this isn't exactly a cellphone picture or something. Wonder if it's actually a clip from some sort of a show or something?
Your probably right. But its still fun to think about it if it was true (whether it is or not). Usually things like this don't happen on camera. Usually the aftermath is caught.

·
Registered
894 Posts
I say (apart from the stupid initial act) NICE CATCH!!!!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
Your probably right. But its still fun to think about it if it was true (whether it is or not). Usually things like this don't happen on camera. Usually the aftermath is caught.
Yeah. It could be real too.. but every once in a while you come across something that may or may not be shopped...

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Yeah. It could be real too.. but every once in a while you come across something that may or may not be shopped...
That would be a pretty darn good 'stunt'.

It isn't terrible quality for night, but it is a pretty well lit street, and it has a grainy contrast indicative of a high ISO.

I was looking for the video this gif was made from.
I couldn't find it, but enjoy these.

(check out 1:08 for a night shot)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0mFkDJ0rpWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://youtu.be/0mFkDJ0rpWA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Iz5GY6t4_zU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://youtu.be/Iz5GY6t4_zU

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
That would be a pretty darn good 'stunt'.

It isn't terrible quality for night, but it is a pretty well lit street, and it has a grainy contrast indicative of a high ISO.

I was looking for the video this gif was made from.
I couldn't find it, but enjoy these.

(check out 1:08 for a night shot)
<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/0mFkDJ0rpWA" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://youtu.be/0mFkDJ0rpWA

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/Iz5GY6t4_zU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
http://youtu.be/Iz5GY6t4_zU

Scott
Well it was no 5D Mk III but to my mind it looked better than what a cellphone or cheap point-and-shoot could muster in a high-ISO / low light environment. Hard to judge noise when it's so low-res though.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Well it was no 5D Mk III but to my mind it looked better than what a cellphone or cheap point-and-shoot could muster in a high-ISO / low light environment. Hard to judge noise when it's so low-res though.
I wouldn't think it was a cell phone or your average point and shoot digital camera ether.
But, there have been a few inexpensive HD camcorders on the market for a while now.

If it is real; you are right about it being a very convenient catch with a better than your average dash cam.

Really though, check out those videos; those scooter drivers in China are suicidal.:eek:

I thought I had the right code to embed them; but something isn't working. :(

Scott

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I wouldn't think it was a cell phone or your average point and shoot digital camera ether.
But, there have been a few inexpensive HD camcorders on the market for a while now.

If it is real; you are right about it being a very convenient catch with a better than your average dash cam.

Really though, check out those videos; those scooter drivers in China are suicidal.:eek:

I thought I had the right code to embed them; but something isn't working. :(

Scott
It seems to be the norm over there. I mean hardly anyone has the :eek: reaction. They just go on with their day. I think I will stay out of there.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,906 Posts
Actually, if you look, the little green taxi is parked in what we would call the "shoulder" of the road. Notice the solid white line, where as the line in the middle of the road is dashed.

It appears like the scooter is probably using the shoulder as a driving/passing lane to zip around traffic.

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Actually, if you look, the little green taxi is parked in what we would call the "shoulder" of the road. Notice the solid white line, where as the line in the middle of the road is dashed.

It appears like the scooter is probably using the shoulder as a driving/passing lane to zip around traffic.
It definately could be a shoulder.
What led me to believe it was a lane was; it would have to be a one-way and the other side of the road doesn't have a stripe to designate a shoulder, sidewalk, or edge of lane.
And if you look behind the guy talking to the cabbie; there what appears to be another scooter about to move out; at least until the accident.

Looking for the original vid to get a better look at things; I saw a lot of REALLY REALLY bad driving. Anything is possible in some of those countries.

Scott

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
It definately could be a shoulder.
What led me to believe it was a lane was; it would have to be a one-way and the other side of the road doesn't have a stripe to designate a shoulder, sidewalk, or edge of lane.
And if you look behind the guy talking to the cabbie; there what appears to be another scooter about to move out; at least until the accident.

Looking for the original vid to get a better look at things; I saw a lot of REALLY REALLY bad driving. Anything is possible in some of those countries.

Scott
Some of that driving is certainly possible here in the states too! Amazes me how little regard for safety people have. I think they honestly do not realize how dangerous it is.

Fear is an interesting thing, there's too much of it in some places, and not enough in others. A great example is driving a car, people don't respect and fear their cars, the road, and the other vehicles on the road nearly enough. There's an interesting disparity too in how people treat different types of vehicles. I was speaking to someone a while ago, whose dentist was in an awful motorcycle accident. He had his 15 year old son on the back (wearing a helmet, both were) and he was hit. He survived, his son was killed. Some months later, he got a new bike, and rides it all the time. The comment was "What an idiot, I can't believe he'd get another bike like that, you'd think he'd have learned his lesson". What if he was in a 4-door sedan? The same scenario is possible, it happens ALL THE TIME. Well, then, getting back into a car and driving would make him 'brave', heck, if he didn't, his friends and family would probably do everything they could to convince him to drive again! So he could 'move on' and 'live his life'.

I understand the risks are different, but, the risks were there before the wreck too. Fact is, people are very afraid of things like motorcycles, but not at all concerned about their own cars; which are pretty serious killers. There are, of course, quite a few bikers who have a lack of a healthy fear/respect for the two wheeled machines they ride. They take comfort in the "It's always the cagers fault", ride recklessly, blame any accidents or near misses on the other guy, and just generally fail to be defensive! (Like the guy in the GIF)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts