Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all.

Cam back from holiday to find my Vulcan 900 Custom battery dead. I've only had the bike a year, it's a 2013 model and I've never had to access the battery before. I took the seat off and am told the battery is under the tool box. However, my datatool alarm seems to be installed in the tool box, and it doesn't seem to want to come off. I'm no mechanic, and I'm nervous of unscrewing things that may not want to be screwed back again. I tried unscrewing the screw at the right of the picture, but annoyingly it seems to be plastic and the screwdriver has shorn off the "wings", so it won't turn. Surely it shouldn't be as hard as this to get to the battery?

Attachments

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Surely it shouldn't be as hard as this to get to the battery?

It's only hard if you don't have the right tools. Sounds like the 'wings' remark on your tool you are using a Phillips screwdriver, you will need go buy a new #2 Phillips, buy a good one. That Datatool Alarm comes off.

·
Registered
1,155 Posts
Phillips screw drivers come in different sizes, the wing tips on them go from #1 small to #2 a bit larger wings to bigger wings, A #2 is what you need.

·
Registered
166 Posts
2 screws is all that holds on the cover over the battery. one you can see and move some wires on the left to see the other. previous owner removed tool pouch that goes there. really a simple operation, battery right below. I have my Power Commander attached to the back side of battery box. Attach a pigtail to the battery so you can charge without removing seat and cover. Most battery chargers have one and set of alligator clips.

·
Registered
87 Posts
What the above has said, plus, take a vacuum to that area, seems like you have a bunch of sand/dust that will scratch things up if rubbed over time.

·
Registered
347 Posts
Like headstall says, you need to clean up the nasties under the seat...for a 2013 there is way too much rust and gunk under the seat area. Sorry man, I'd get my steel wool out, get rid of all of that rust, and re-paint that while area. I know the UK is close to the ocean and everything, but wow...you need some maintenance under there...check the whole bike for rust and fix it if you plan to keep the bike. E&OE.

·
Registered
212 Posts
I like to rub down the rusty / dusty frame parts under the seat with an oily rag when I'm under there. It seems to protect things until I have the seat off again.

You don't want to be splashing or dripping water under there around the electrics.

Even if the phillips screw holding the tool box is stripped, a #2 bit and an impact driver ought to bust it loose.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts