Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have a rattle on my 03 Classic that I can't find. It seems like it is coming from the left rear around the back tire. It only rattles above 45mph and only when I pull the clutch in. Revs don't matter I even shut the engine off at speed and it made no difference.

I went through and tightened every bolt I can get to on the bike. I checked and changed the diff fluid. It is really starting to irritate me. Any ideas?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It could be from that area it is hard to tell but definitely worse on the left side. It does slightly rattle on decel as soon as I roll off the throttle in gear for just a second then quits. It is much more pronounced with the clutch in.

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Good luck in sorting out the rattle problem. A long shot - I had a very annoying rattle on my Vulcan 900 which got worse with increased speed. After several rides and lots of bolt and nut tightening I discovered that the cause was the leather fob on my ignition key which was being blown against the side cover. But it wasn't affected by clutch use.

·
Registered
115 Posts
When I had an annoying rattle from that area, it was my exhaust. The heat shield clamps broke and it was hitting against my pipes. Just an idea.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Sound by its very nature travels. I had a rattle on decell that I was sure was a loose baffle in my right exhaust. I even made arrangements to buy a set of take offs from a member here. It turned out to be the plates on the back of the factory sissy bar/backrest. I pried them apart and stuffed a rubber grommet between them. Good luck, hope yours is as simple a fix as mine was.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I just put new Vance & Hines pipes on it but it did it with the stock pipes too. I will check the sissy bar. Could the clutch itself be causing the noise?

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
Could be the clutch, but let's hope not since in the worst case scenario the cause might be a bad internal bearing, but it could be something in the clutch itself. Is there some way that you can securely jack up the bike so that the rear wheel can turn and then run the engine and shift through the gears while listening for the noise? It's best to have a helper while trying that.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
So today I went through and tightened the rear fender and sissy bar. The rattle is still there. It seems like if I double clutch the noise will stop or lessen. I picked up a jack today so I can get it in the air and try it.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
A good jack is always handy but an extra set of hands can sometimes be the answer. I had checked everything, or so I thought, before having my daughter sit on the Nomad and rev it up. I had done this with the bike on a jack and never heard the rattle.

I am not sure what bike you are chasing this rattle on but my 09 Nomad has had three mystery rattles so far. The first was a tenny sound every now and then at a red light that turned out to be a loose exhaust heat shield clamp I found wiping the bike down after a shower. The second turned out to be the pre-shield while it was failing. I think this is only on the 1700 Nomad and is an extra part of the windshield that helps restrict air flow under the shield when it is in the upper positions. The third was the backrest. Not the mounting bolts but the plates on the back of the backrest behind the pad vibrating. I'll tack a pic tomorrow to show what I mean.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I had the same 8ssue with my exhaust. I finally took it off and replaced every clamp there was with ss clamps. Not a rattle to be heard now.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Yeah I rode it without the sissy bar and it still makes the noise. I put it on the jack and could not replicate the sound.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Think I found it. I peeled back the boot covering the u joint and metal powder and a few needle bearings fell out of the boot.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Yeah , that's kind of where I thought this was headed. The good news is if you found it you can fix it. Finding it is the hardest part

1 - 20 of 21 Posts