Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok As some might know from my othere thread I have a Memphis shade fairing I was wanting to get painted to match my bike. The local repair shops could not get the paint codes. I had to call the dealer which helped alot. Any way I had a friend that sent me PPG paint cods that list thousands of auto's an bikes. I know nothing about paint but this might help the shops you take it to.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Ok As some might know from my othere thread I have a Memphis shade fairing I was wanting to get painted to match my bike. The local repair shops could not get the paint codes. I had to call the dealer which helped alot. Any way I had a friend that sent me PPG paint cods that list thousands of auto's an bikes. I know nothing about paint but this might help the shops you take it to.
just make sure you give them a front fender to match the mixed paint to, most bodyshops do not like having a bike sit there for the duration for the job, the other option is to find a shop who has a paint scanner. (still give them the fender to match to)

·
BOTM Winner, May 2013
207 Posts
I had to put my Vulcan in the shop to get the damage fixed after a deer tried to be a hood ornament back in March (first ride of 2012), and I had just put my MS batwing on. I wanted it painted to match my bike (candy fire red). I learned that Colorrite owns the rights to the import colors. Here's a link that migt help.

http://www.colorrite.com/matrix-start.cfm

·
Registered
165 Posts
Does anyone know if the color rite paint is urethane or Lacquer?
From the colorrite FAQ

Q. What are your paints made of?
A. All of our products are urethane based, base-coat/clear-coat applications. Our paints have been thoroughly tested and are as good as or better than O.E.M. quality standards

·
Registered
16 Posts
From the colorrite FAQ

Q. What are your paints made of?
A. All of our products are urethane based, base-coat/clear-coat applications. Our paints have been thoroughly tested and are as good as or better than O.E.M. quality standards
Thanks, I was assuming Urethane, but wanted to make sure because I am going to put this on a truck project and wanted to make sure it would work.

·
Registered
415 Posts
I recently painted my side covers and had to match them to the oem color, there's a site online: colorite.com, they will ship the correct color to you, they have a aerosole kit with original color, primer, sand paper, tack cloth, clear eurathane, for $115. my covers came out great! Ride on!

·
Registered
357 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
I have done Autobody work for about 13 years and Auot and Industrial spray painting for about 16 years. When I started painting they were getting away from Lacq. spray painting unless you were painting a custom HotRod. They were using Acrylic single stage spray paint or your expensive Ureothene paints. In the 90's they came up with the two stage paints, which meant you had a base coat color with a second stage clear. Near the end of the 90's they were talking about a water borne spray paint that would be more friendlier to the planet. From my understandings they have made a water borne spray paint, but getting back to what you asked about. The spray paint for the Kawasaki Vulcan 900 is a two stage paint. It has a base coat color and a second stage clear coat clear. GM has a color close to the Candy Lime Green Kawasaki uses. They use it on the Camaro's and you can get that at any of your top Automotive Spray Paint Dealers in your city. I normally use DuPont Automotive spray paints, but I have used PPG, Sherwin Williams, and Sikkens. I have also use some cheap ass spray paints like Acme. The paint you are looking for is from ColorRite. The color is Candy Lime Green and the paint code is 367. The ColorRite top code is 3225, and the bottom code is 1225. When spray painting please use the right resparator to breath with and plenty of ventalation when painting if you are painting in your personal garage.

KawasakiVulcan900 aka Unk

1 - 9 of 9 Posts