Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Someone told me recently (after following me down the street in a cage), that you just can't see my bike... the tail lights and/or brake lights weren't bright enough to get your attention at all. I've also been advised to run my headlight on high beam during the day to increase my visibility from the front.

I've looked in several stores around here and also at a few catalogues for options for decreasing my chances of getting run over because someone didn't see me, but can't make up my mind.

Anyone wanna suggest something that works? Share something that doesn't?

·
Registered
84 Posts
do you run your electropods at night while riding? I've got blue LED's under the frame, tank and rear fender LOL at night you can't miss me, the bike looks like it is floating on a big blue blob.

·
Registered
719 Posts
I use a headlight modulator for the front and it does get attention in traffic. I also have the tail flasher, but if I'm not braking my bike is hard to see in the dark. The LEO's in my area will pull you over if you run the accent lights while riding.

·
Registered
397 Posts
I had the same concern, and added the Küryakyn Triple-Whammy kit that turns your (normally dark) rear turn signal lights into red running lights that are on all the time, giving you three lights in back instead of just one, plus it's also a brake light modulator. Plug 'n play installation.

·
Registered
782 Posts
On the front end you can swap the stock headlamp for a Wagner BP1210/H4. This is sold at Napa stores. The stock lamp is 55w on low beam and 60w on high beam. The BP1210/H4 is 80w on low beam and 100w on high. I read about this on Gadget's site and according to the folks there, the amp draw will not harm your bike or blow any fuses. I did the math myself too and it comes out to about an 8.3 amp draw at 12 volts on high beam. The headlamp has a 10amp fuse so you should be fine. I just made the change myself but haven't had a chance to ride at night yet.

Also, since low beam is a different filament than high beam, you still won't blind anyone. The low beam filament is aimed to cut off below the view of oncoming traffic. So you still get more light out front, but you don't blind the cage in the oncoming lane.

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
Until you can brighten the bulb front side, running on high beam during the day definitely helps. Also, a tip from my area MSF instructors for those times when you may be in doubt about a head on or side-approach driver seeing you: rock the bike. If you do a slight lean from side to side, or mini-swerve, just to get the headlight to move back and forth 3" or more, it's enough of a change to get most people's attention. I've used the trick myself a couple of times, and a couple of drivers who appeared to be pulling out in front of me have actually corrected themselves quickly, so I can vouch for the technique.

For the rear (though I haven't taken the steps myself yet), converting the rear signals to running lights and installing a flasher is your best bet. There are also all sorts of additional LED options, strobe effects, etc. that you can add on back there without ruining the lines of your ride. Until then, another tip from the MSF guys, pump your brake 3 or 4 times before fully braking. A flashing brake light gets more attention than a constant on. I've also been known to alternate my turn signals momentarily when I see someone zooming up on me a bit too fast. It's enough to get most people's attention.

·
Registered
1,158 Posts
Man, two of my friends ride Harley's, both 09's. Rocker and a Heritage Classic. Beautiful bikes, BUT,DIMMMMMM! Headlights. It's shocking. Neither bike has a good charging system (the heritage classic owner is on his third battery).Well, I'm just sayin....lol.

·
Registered
11,748 Posts
Another thing to check is your charging system. It must be up to specs in order for lights to function at their peak.

·
Registered
976 Posts
There was some Harley following me out of Eureka Springs Friday didn't have dim lights. Idiot had highway bar lights and all three were on bright and pointed at me. I was pulling a trailer and stuck in 5 miles of no passing zone with my shadow on the back of the trailer. Made me so happy when we hit the first passing zone and he blasted by without even giving me a chance, not that I would have taken it because my turn was half a mile up the road, but what a typical jerk.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Someone told me recently (after following me down the street in a cage), that you just can't see my bike... the tail lights and/or brake lights weren't bright enough to get your attention at all. I've also been advised to run my headlight on high beam during the day to increase my visibility from the front.

I've looked in several stores around here and also at a few catalogues for options for decreasing my chances of getting run over because someone didn't see me, but can't make up my mind.

Anyone wanna suggest something that works? Share something that doesn't?
Last Sunday came upon a rear end crash on the highway I take to and from work. The posted speed on this highway is 60mph with traffic signals about every 10 blocks or so, ( about 1mile ). Anyway this idiot had rear ended a fire truck....Yes a giant RED fire truck stopped at the intersection. Soooo if these distracted dirt bags can't see a fire truck then there is not much hope for us on bikes. That being said I am also looking at adding the Kury triple whammy. I guess every little bit has to help right?

·
Registered
657 Posts
You can rewire your rear signal lights to accomodate full time running lights (you can get the appropriate light sockets at a local automotive store). Next use Xenon bulbs in the signals/headlamp. Also make sure your headlamp is properly adjusted. Recently I discovered mine was aimed too far down and was difficult to see. Turned a screw and bam!!!.. now visable...
To be honest, while you can try and do everything totally right to be better seen, defensive riding is the best visability of all. All too many cagers just don't keep an open eye for traffic, especially while yaking on the phone or texting while driving...

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had the same concerns so I installed the Wagner BP1210/H4 along with a headlight modulator. That takes care of the front. The modulator flashes the bright beam which is very noticeable.

https://www.kisantech.com/index.php?cat_id=2

In the rear I added the Kisan SM3 which turns the turn signal lights into running lights and also turns them into additional brake lights that flash a couple of times. I also upgraded the rear tail light to a slightly brighter bulb. The SM3 also gives you self cancel turn signals.

https://www.kisantech.com/view_product.php?product=SM-3

The SM3 worked on my 900 Custom but other bikes may need a different number.

·
Registered
976 Posts
Where did that plug into? I was just under the tank tonight and noticed all the connectors on top of the bike spine are not the running/turn signal lights though the feed for the headlight IS there.

·
Registered
186 Posts
lighting

I switched out my rear tailight for a L.E.D it is brighter,also changed out the front bulb for a extreme neon H-4 its a 60/80 and it is definatly brighter looks like HID at night,and in the daytime its alot more noticeable according to my brother coming down the road. if your intrested in the H-4 i purchased it from a guy i know down the road from me who has a motorcycle supply store called Fly-N-cycle out of ashton IL. this H-4 bulb shoulnd't cause any voltage problems i've had mine in for about a month now and no problems. also the price was good. the bulb itself is only 800KV less than HID wich is the brightest on the kelvin scale for being road legal. will soon add L.E.D to turn signals..

·
Registered
376 Posts
Where did that plug into? I was just under the tank tonight and noticed all the connectors on top of the bike spine are not the running/turn signal lights though the feed for the headlight IS there.
The headlight modulator plugs into the headlight bulb in the bucket. Very simple install.

The SM3 takes the place of the turn signal relay under the seat. You also have to tap into the brake and turn signal wires to have the running lights.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do you run your electropods at night while riding? I've got blue LED's under the frame, tank and rear fender LOL at night you can't miss me, the bike looks like it is floating on a big blue blob.
Yes, I run my blue electropods whenever it gets anywhere near dark. I have them under the tank, on the wheel side of the saddle bags, shining on the chrome radiator grille, underneath the bike.... love 'em. I've heard stories about bikes getting stopped by the police for running blue lights but it's never happened to me and I've passed a lot of LEO's in the past year.

·
Registered
976 Posts
I've got a buddy that had the blue lights on his bike, he got stopped twice. Now, he was running a pretty cool chopper so they may just have wanted to see that as they didn't do anything but warn him and have him turn them off. He hasn't put them on the new bike.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got a buddy that had the blue lights on his bike, he got stopped twice. Now, he was running a pretty cool chopper so they may just have wanted to see that as they didn't do anything but warn him and have him turn them off. He hasn't put them on the new bike.
Yeah, it depends on your local laws. Before I installed mine I spoke with a few different LEOs and they all told me that blue is legal here unless it is flashing or blinking.

·
Registered
28 Posts
Being Seen

Getting away from the discussion of modifying lighting front and rear of the bike, the following link shows what reflective tape can do to improve visibility at night especially. I think he used a black reflective tape and applied it to black surfaces on the bike. Worth havinng a look at, guys. By the way, I picked this up from the VROC site.

http://www.en500.us/

kenny G

"We have to get older - We don't have to grow up!"

·
Registered
186 Posts
went for a little ride lastnight,and i can say that yes this xtreme H-4 bulb is for sure the way to light up the road. 100% improvement over the stock bulb.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts