·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can this be done or are forks removed?

·
Registered
79 Posts
I believe you can but you have to remove the front tire to get to the drain plug/hole. Someone with more knowledge then I will probably correct chime in

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
169 Posts
I haven't done forks on the Vulcan, but my experience on other bikes is that it might be possible, its probably easier just to remove the tire and slide the fork out from the trees.

·
Registered
1,163 Posts
keep the forks on the bike, just remove the caps and clip and plug then springs then suction out the oil using a copper tube with plastic clear hose attached or you can insert the copper tube and let gravity do its thing to drain what's at the bottom of the fork cavity

·
Registered
1,043 Posts
According to the Kawi shop manual the forks have to be removed so that they can be tipped upside down with the caps removed to drain the oil completely. Seems to be from the Dark Ages - my ancient 1978 Yamaha 650 had drain screws at the bottoms of the forks to make oil change easier. Obviously other members have developed work-arounds for the 900.

·
Premium Member
1,119 Posts
You can change the fork oil with the forks on, but you shouldn't. The old oil builds up acids and needs to be removed completely. You can't do that with the forks on the bike. Well, not unless there is a drain at the very bottom that is ok to use for that purpose.

Take the forks off, turn them upside down to drain, and pump them to get all of the old oil out. I always put a little clean oil in them, pump them upright then turn them over and drain with more pumping. This clears out almost all of the old oil.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts