Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Been thinking awhile about this but have only started researching it. In a nutshell, can a 2" (or whatever you want) rear end drop be had by simply replacing the shock? I'm currently using the 1/4" steel plates and have yet to notice any adverse effects but this relocates the rear of the shock up and back. If the OEM shock is say 16" eye to eye could it be replaced with a similar shock that is 14" eye to eye and give the same result without spending the $650+ for the replacement shock? Maybe something from an ATV or a small Honda passenger car? There are several 14" (just speculating, don't know if that's the size I'd need or not) on ebay for around $150.
Just curious if anyone has tried it and what they've found.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yeah, I looked at that same one on Cheapcycleparts but it was $600+ on there. I'm cheap remember? lol I'm thinking that as long as the ends are the same with approx. the same diameter holes that it theoretically should work but I would like to use a shock off of something as big or slightly bigger than the 2000. I don't want to get a scooter shock and be bouncing everywhere. Could always weld up some ends on a straight pipe and make it a hard tail :( I've also run across several Kawasaki shocks but the reservior at the top of the shock would make it unusable on the 2000 but there is one with a remote reservior that may work. It was less than $200.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I would assume anything that would fill the gap and allow enough travel would "work". But how well I have no idea. The only think I would suggest is to make sure you have enough spring and shock movement to work like it should and not over extend when you hit a dip.

·
Registered
659 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Had the seat off night before last and did some measuring. Without taking the shock out it looks like it's about 12.5 inches eye to eye, BUT, the brackets allow the shock to go up and back. More up than back seems to me. There's only about 1 1/4" difference in the back between where the shock actually is compared to the mount on the swingarm, soooo, seems that if I could find an 11 1/4" comparable shock that should/would put my height at the same place it is now and attach it directly to the swingarm. Like I said earlier, the brackets don't seem to have any adverse wear but I can feel the spring on the bottom of my seat and if I could have the same height and put the shock back in it's lower position then I'd consider that a win/win.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts