Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I have bought a 2008 vn900 classic as a project bike and have been working though getting the bike to start And done the following:
Checked all the connectors and they are fine
Replaced the ecu and now the ign fuse has stopped blowing and the bike attempts to start
Replaced the spark plugs as I am not sure when the bike was last serviced.

Now the bike is trying to start but is just not getting there, was back firing through the carb and exhaust. So I have looked over it again and found this connector under the seat. I have no idea whether it should be connected to something, but to me looks like there should be some sort of sensor attached....? I am new to these bikes so have no clue so apologies if these are stupid questions. Is someone able to identify what it is and if it should be connected to something. And also any suggestions on how to get my bike started so I can enjoying it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think that connector is for diagnosing and or a gear indicator if you want it to be.
Almost sounds as timing might be off or bad timing sensor.

·
Registered
314 Posts
I just had my seat off and installing the ECU, I wish I could say that connector looked familiar, but I can't. It's obviously capped so I would agree that it's likely a diagnostic connector.

·
Registered
709 Posts
I have a vague recollection that connector might go to the ignition switch, but I could be wrong. I do know a service manual with wiring diagrams would be very helpful here, if you look closely and follow the wire colors.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the replies, really appreciate it. From what others have said on other forums, it sounds like it is a connector for gear changing.

In regards to the non starting, would it worth posting a video up here so people can hear what is happening? In regards to the timing, is it an easy thing to check and put right?

·
Registered
897 Posts
WOW, timing being off would include some major problem.
I'd say that was just a suggested problem, keep looking for what it could be.

Is it getting gas?
Is the battery voltage high enough?
Is the spark there?
Do the plugs get wet with fuel when starting?
Is the choke working correctly?
Are the carb boots sealing well enough to stop air leaking in?

Just a few things I thought of to help you out.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Do everything Vulcondoc suggest but as you describe sounds like the bike wants to start. Check the ignition wires to the coils. Did someone swamp them around, Check your ground as well. I bought a non running 1500 and the owner thought he was a mechanic, and turned everything around!

·
BOTY Winner 2015!, BOTM Winner, July 2015
145 Posts
2008 900 Classics are fuel injected. If the bike is trying to fire sporadically it sounds like you have spark, but the fuel may be bad if it has been sitting for a while. If so I recommend draining and flushing the tank, get some fresh fuel and cycle the fuel pump several times to attempt to get fresh fuel through the injectors. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Hi, I have bought a 2008 vn900 classic as a project bike and have been working though getting the bike to start And done the following:
Checked all the connectors and they are fine
Replaced the ecu and now the ign fuse has stopped blowing and the bike attempts to start
Replaced the spark plugs as I am not sure when the bike was last serviced.

Now the bike is trying to start but is just not getting there, was back firing through the carb and exhaust. So I have looked over it again and found this connector under the seat. I have no idea whether it should be connected to something, but to me looks like there should be some sort of sensor attached....? I am new to these bikes so have no clue so apologies if these are stupid questions. Is someone able to identify what it is and if it should be connected to something. And also any suggestions on how to get my bike started so I can enjoying it.

Thanks in advance.

Paul

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Many thanks for all the suggestions!! I have looked at the wiring diagram in the manual and found the problem, the coil wires were not in the right place. Swapped them over and it fired into life straight away. Not sure my neighbours are too pleased!! :D :D
Your Welcome!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts