Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My Clymer manual says to remove the muffler (stock) but I see in other posts folks just use an opened end wrench (or a box?). I'm going to have a local shop replace the tires but the guy was asking if the muffler needs to be removed. I'd like to tell him "no" but thought I'd check with ya'll first.

If not, what's the basic procedure? Thanks!

·
Registered
1,273 Posts
The reason they want you to remove the exhaust is so you can correctly apply a torque wrench to put the wheel back on. I've had my rear wheel off 4 times now leaving the exhaust in place. I use a box wrench on the axle nut and the torque wrench on the left side. That's not the proper way to use a torque wrench, but it works.

·
Living The Dream
1,512 Posts
I am able to use a 27mm crows foot with my 1/2" torque wrench without issue, without taking pipes off.

·
Registered
155 Posts
Yes, I have changed my rear tire with the muffler in place with no problems. I torqued the axle nut with a borrowed crow foot extension too. However, I have removed the muffler for a thorough polishing, and it's really not that hard to do; just not necessary for a tire change.

Grandpa

1 - 4 of 4 Posts