Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I started looking onto replacing my rear shocks based on a thread that RacNRay started a while ago. Ray told me that his shocks came from Works Performance. I thought their price for their Street Trackers was high until I checked with Kawasaki - the Works Performance shocks are a bargain at around $600 a pair depending on which product.

My question is this - has anyone ever had the rear shocks on their Nomad 1700 rebuilt? Works Performance offers this service for around $60 to $100, which sounds a lot better than new shocks. Any thoughts or comments? PS - My title should have read "...be successfully rebuilt?".

·
Registered
666 Posts
I successfully rebuilt the shocks on my '02 Nomad, and there doesn't look to be much difference to the Voyager shocks... (They're on the "to do" list).

Instructions are on Gadget's site.

However if your shocks are not holding air, the seals can't be replaced. Best option then is aftermarket, but that price from Works Performance (I'm assuming that's each shock?) sounds pretty good, and would definitely be worth a shot.

·
Premium Member
1,668 Posts
Changing the oil in the shocks is not considered "rebuilding". I also changed the oil in my Vaquero shocks and that helped for awhile. What frustrated me was the lack of rebound dampening (even when the skoot was relatively new I had the rebound all the way to #4) AND the fact the shocks never held air for a decent period. Once a week without fail I would have to add air.

So earlier this year I had Works Performance make a set of shocks. Now the skoot rides and handles better than it did when new.

Contact Tim at works, good guy to work with. I believe the standard 'street trackers' is what I have ,bout $560.00 for the pair.

RACNRAY

·
Registered
345 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Changing the oil in the shocks is not considered "rebuilding". I also changed the oil in my Vaquero shocks and that helped for awhile. What frustrated me was the lack of rebound dampening (even when the skoot was relatively new I had the rebound all the way to #4) AND the fact the shocks never held air for a decent period. Once a week without fail I would have to add air.

So earlier this year I had Works Performance make a set of shocks. Now the skoot rides and handles better than it did when new.

Contact Tim at works, good guy to work with. I believe the standard 'street trackers' is what I have ,bout $560.00 for the pair.

RACNRAY
Thanks for the feedback, Ray. I also found the air feature on the stock shocks to be just about useless. I plan to go with the Works Performance shocks.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts