Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My throttle cable broke today and I managed a 30 mile ride home by pulling the cable by hand....not the best idea but it worked. Now after looking at it, it
looks like I may be able to replace the broken cable by removing a small plate on the throttle body that the cable threads through. Other post here say to remove the tank which is a pain in the a$$ so wondering if anybody has done this without tank removal. Here's hoping.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have removed the tank before to do a valve adjust but the plug connections were a pain and took me a lot more than 10 minutes that's for sure. I may just loosen the tank and slide it back to get a 2x4 between the tank and frame to avoid unhooking everything and still have room. Of course when the throttle cable broke I had a near full tank of gas so that is a pain also. When I did my valve adjust and was removing the tank I ran it to almost empty to make it easy. I was just hoping someone has done this without the removal of the tank since it is currently 100 degrees outside and about 120+ degrees in my garage and I'd like to make this a quick repair.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I'm not looking forward to disconnecting the 3 electrical plugs. It was hard to do by Braille since I couldn't see them well enough to figure out how they unsnapped given they were up inside in the dark...and of course each one was different. I could have redone the job in minutes but that was last year and I have forgotten how they worked. LOL. I'm sure I will figure it out.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Heh, I've taken to removing the tank every single time I do anything with a wrench near the tank, since I accidentally dinged the front. Lucky you can't see it lol

·
Registered
164 Posts
My throttle cable broke about two years ago while out for a local joy ride. I had to have her towed in. :( I could tell the tank had been removed after both cables were replaced by my local bike shop. Could it have been done without removing the tank? I don't know. :confused:

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I replaced the throttle cable today and I did remove the tank. It just seemed easier after I first loosened everything, slid the tank back and shoved a towel to raise the tank and still couldn't see the cable connections that well. I needed room to work in there so just took it completely off. Now that I've done it I think I could do it without a full removal but not that much more work anyway. This was a good lesson for me to remember to lube all cables and not get lazy...I think this cable would have lasted much longer than 23,000 miles if either I or the previous owner had lubed it....pretty sure neither one of us did. The tank removal is not that big a deal but again those connectors are not a good design in my opinion. Child proof for sure. Entire job took about 1 hour and 20 minutes.

·
Registered
148 Posts
I'm almost positive you can, but it'll be a pain in the butt. You'd have to take off the airbox instead to get any sort of access, and even then, access will be limited.

Seriously, once you do it once, you'll never do anything to your bike without taking it off. It's a great way to get a good polish/wax coat on the tank too, since the speedo and cover come right off.

·
Registered
536 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I did remove the airbox too before deciding to just take the tank all the way off. I definitely like having room to see things I disassemble for the first time. The first time I took the tank off was the worst for sure...now I think I could do it in 10 minutes so thats the way it will be from now on. I was hurrying so didn't get a chance to wax it up but will remove the speedo for the next wax job for sure. Gotta love the cables freshly lubed both clutch and throttle. Smooth as butter. Thanks for unput you guys.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Hardest part is always that damn breather hose, and it doesn't get much easier. I was going to put some oil on it last time I had it off to make it easier, but I wasn't sure what was paint-safe that I had laying around.

Like I said though, once you do it once, you'll do it every time you do any maintenance, even an oil change. Might as well check the plugs and clean up the head covers, right?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts