Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
İ am getting to realise that it is more likely that the bike i am looking to buy has suffered a cam chain guide failure rather than full cam chain.(due to the low mileage of the machine20K miles)...can the guides be replaced without causing problems with the actual chain??..it is an EN500

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
İ am getting to realise that it is more likely that the bike i am looking to buy has suffered a cam chain guide failure rather than full cam chain.(due to the low mileage of the machine20K miles)...can the guides be replaced without causing problems with the actual chain??..it is an EN500
Are you sure the cam chain tensioner hasn't malfunctioned?? ;) :)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
This is the problem...knowing what is wrong without actually opening the engine. At worst it would be a cam chain and at 'best a tensioner. The bike is one i am thinking of buying and all i hear is the sound of a cam chain on an engine that has only done low mileage...i am told a cam chain would involve splitting the cylinders but dont know how much the best case scenario of just a tensioner replacement would involve....would the cylinders still need splitting.....People are very 'funny' about major engine work here and it really hurts the price. ...puts me off paying anywhere near what the seller wants!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
This is the problem...knowing what is wrong without actually opening the engine. At worst it would be a cam chain and at 'best a tensioner. The bike is one i am thinking of buying and all i hear is the sound of a cam chain on an engine that has only done low mileage...i am told a cam chain would involve splitting the cylinders but dont know how much the best case scenario of just a tensioner replacement would involve....would the cylinders still need splitting.....People are very 'funny' about major engine work here and it really hurts the price. ...puts me off paying anywhere near what the seller wants!
Cam chain tensoner is on the front of the engine & very easy to change. (30 mins) ;) :)

1 - 4 of 4 Posts