Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,554 Posts
It appears he's leaning *against* the turn, but if you'll notice the twist in front of him, he may just be preparing for the next lean?

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It appears he's leaning *against* the turn, but if you'll notice the twist in front of him, he may just be preparing for the next lean?
I agree that the camera angle makes it a little difficult to determine if he is indeed preparing for the next turn, but the fact that the bike is probably scraping he may have done this prematurely. If he is indeed preparing for the next turn at the appropriate spot in the road, then he was travelling too fast for the road conditions.

I have attached a couple of images showing better rider position for cornering which will allow you to reduce the risk of touching hard parts on the road.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
... then he was travelling too fast for the road conditions.
I thought he was placed poorly in respect to the upcoming curve, but not knowing what was left of the edge of the picture, i couldn't tell for sure.

I tend to disagree about your "too fast" statement however. The road conditions look fine... good visibility, dry & clean road.

My guess is that he failed to look far enough ahead to properly set up for the turns. But then, i don't have a problem with scraping a little metal on occasion.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I thought he was placed poorly in respect to the upcoming curve, but not knowing what was left of the edge of the picture, i couldn't tell for sure.

I tend to disagree about your "too fast" statement however. The road conditions look fine... good visibility, dry & clean road.

My guess is that he failed to look far enough ahead to properly set up for the turns. But then, i don't have a problem with scraping a little metal on occasion.
This is supposed to be the "NEW RIDER" section. The picture makes it look like the frame is close to touching if not actually touching. He is either a) going to fast for his skill level, or b) using improper body positioning in the turn which is causing the bike to have to lean further to hold the line. But that is just my opinion based on observation.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Sorry, i didn't notice that. I'll make sure not to post here in the future since i'm not really a "NEW RIDER".
I was trying to post something useful to new riders. I guess I will stick to the other sections of the forum since you seem to have this one covered. :p

·
Registered
419 Posts
Is this rider doing anything wrong?
What I see wrong is:
1) It's warm enough to wear short sleeves, yet he's wearing long pants?
2) He hasn't passed the Harley in front of him slowing him down?
3) He hasn't opened the vents on the lowers?
4) Of course, (Stupid me), It isn't me riding the Dragon on my Voyager!!

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
His body should be perpendicular to the bike. When you lean your body upright like that, it changes the centrifugal mass weight distribution of the bike and puts more downward pressure on the bike. Better to stay perp with the bike and just swivel your neck if you want to be looking level.

Having said that, if he's going too fast into the turn, applying more downward pressure helps the bike turn tighter at higher speeds. It what some track racers do when they lay their bikes over and scrape their knees on the ground. Check the inside guy:

·
Banned
161 Posts
Is this rider doing anything wrong?
Well, to me it looks like that he has his supension set too soft for his weight. I think if the bike was straight it would be sitting way low. Who knows what he is carrying in his bags, could be gold bricks, everyone knows how heavy that stuff is!:D

C

·
0 Posts
I am curious to know if you know this person or did you just spot this while looking thru photos of the dragon?

If you were just looking thru the photos I wonder if you would look at mine and see what I might be doing wrong, besides being careful with a 900 lb bike with my wife on the back. Just kidding. Maybe he has a bad back and can't sit straight. I guess I need to go back and look at my photos now.

·
Registered
34 Posts

I think he was referring to the nature of the road, rather than the weather.

Unless one has a lot of experience riding tight, twisty roads, it can be difficult to constantly set up properly for a curve. A common mistake is to enter a curve too late and too fast. The natural reaction is to lean the bike over more, and a common result is to scrape something on the road surface. One of the most important things to do is to keep the head level with the road and look through the curve, as well as shifting the weight into the curve. Let the inside knee move out and shift the hips to the inside of the curve. It's amazing how that eases up negotiating a curve. Remember a basic from the MSF course--"slow, look, lean, and roll." Let off the throttle and slow slightly before entering the curve, lean, then add throttle to maintain speed and stablize the bike, and at the apex of the curve, start to slowly roll on throttle to accelerate out of the curve. The guy in the photo may have been guilty of too much speed and late entry into the curve. Hard to say from the angle of the picture.

·
Registered
735 Posts
Better to stay perp with the bike and just swivel your neck if you want to be looking level.

I swivel my neck, reminds me to counter-steer. I don't think he's counter-steering as much as he could be but he nonetheless seems to know what he's doing

·
Registered
15 Posts
photo?

From this angle it's difficult to determine but the other driver of the motorcycle is blurred. Wrong with the photo not with the driver...

1 - 16 of 16 Posts