Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
If you read the title and DIDN'T think " now there is an odd comparison" I would be surprised.

Can-AM had a demo day in my city and not only did I get to ride one, but the path that they took us on happen to be the EXACT path I take home from work most days that I ride my Vulcan 900. So needless to say its not every day you get to test drive a bike for about 30 minutes on familiar roads.

My take away from the experience are as follows:

Can-Am:

Pros
Very user friendly
Excellent wind protection especially on the lower half even with no windshields or extra fairings.
Nice riding position
Gets lots of looks
absorbs road bumps well

Cons
Speedo goes up to 200mph - WTF
side to side transitions make the bike feel like its floating and disconnected from the road
You need to learn to drive it into the corner and focus the weight on the outside wheel in order to regain stability in a corner
Stock exhaust has a bad drone
Stock seat is not nearly firm enough for my taste
Generally a disconnected or far to electronically assisted feel to the entire bike
Throttle response on mine just plain sucked. I think there was something wrong.
Power band was narrow and came on all at once at about 5k
No front brake lever. Its not really needed but I was reaching for it half the time.

Favorite feature - Lack of any wind on lower 2/3 of the body

Least Favorite feature - 200mph speedo. Needle barely moves in the city

I know that's a lot of con's but I usually make my bike purchases based on the one I find the least flaws with. So for the price of 20k they can keep it. If the price was down south of 15k a ways maybe we could talk. For now I am sticking with my Vulcan 900. I know this wasn't really a comparison, but it is in the respect that I am comparing how the bike handled on roads that I typically ride the 900 on.

Comments and questions are welcome

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
You forgot to mention that the Spyder isn't a motorcycle. It's more for folks that want to be able to say that they ride, but are afraid of the inherent risks involved! LMAO!

·
Registered
2,221 Posts
You forgot to mention that the Spyder isn't a motorcycle. It's more for folks that want to be able to say that they ride, but are afraid of the inherent risks involved! LMAO!
When I get too old/weak to hold up my big bikes; I'll try out some of the smaller lighter bikes.
When I get too old/weak to hold up a light bike; I MAY give something like that a try.

I know some clumsy people that would be a lot better off on three wheels vs two though. And if they want to get in the wind; more power to em.
I know a woman that has one so she doesn't have to ride b*tch (I think the husband talked her into it).

The real risks are pretty similar.
Sure; you're not likely to drop it at a stop sign but any kind of fender bender still makes for a seriously bad day.

I can't say I want one; but I will say I find some comfort in knowing they're out there. :p

·
Registered
600 Posts
+1
One wheel away from being an open air "cage".................but
different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I also had the opportunity to go for a demo day on a Can Am. My comments are similar to Darkarchers. It is more like riding a snowmobile than a mc.......not for me.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I doubt I could even ride one. I can't ride a three-wheeled pedal trike, I had a real struggle riding a Harley with a side car a few miles.
If they won't lean into a turn, I just don't have the coordination or the will power to make them turn just by cranking the bars.

·
Registered
1,467 Posts
If I was going to do 3 wheels, it'd be a trike, I think. That way, the whole part in front of me looks and (mostly) feels like a motorcycle. I've never ridden a Spyder, but I sat on one and it felt more like a jet ski than a motorcycle.

·
BOTM Winner, May 2015
740 Posts
When I get to old and week, I'll have a jeep. Top doors and remove windshield. And be able to places most don't. Besides. I need to bring the nurses with me since we m old and week

·
Registered
156 Posts
Having worked at Best Buy for many years (in a past life, thankfully) and seeing what Consumer Reports recommends versus all the products we sold...I would take what they have to say with a large grain of sea salt. I suspect they formulate their lists more on the size of their benefactor's installments than actual empirical data.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
If you read the title and DIDN'T think " now there is an odd comparison" I would be surprised. ...
Cons
Speedo goes up to 200mph - WTF....
Actually that is 200 kph. The Spyder is made in Canada. FYI

As you can see from my signature, I also own a Spyder RTS. It is the most comfortable and easiest ride of anything I have owned for two up riding. The steering is something you have to get used to, but once you do, it is a piece of cake. To steer to the right, you just push the left handlebar and to the left, push the right handlebar. My rule of thumb is push or pull, but not both at the same time. Otherwise, you tend to over steer. No leaning is required except to feel comfortable in the seat. The Spyder is extremely stable on the interstate, with no buffeting when passing an 18 wheeler. The Rotax engine is a high revving engine. You need to change gears at about 5000 rpm (or higher), and downshift at 4000 rpm. It needs to remain between 4000 and 5000 (except in 1st gear).

I have ridden on two wheels for 45 years and still enjoy that ride. The two machines are different beasts and I love them both.

Just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
340 Posts
If you read the title and DIDN'T think " now there is an odd comparison" I would be surprised.

Can-AM had a demo day in my city
Comments and questions are welcome
I too had a chance to test the Spyder.
If I was looking to go back to riding the snowmobile "year-round", it would be an ok ride.
Totally felt like riding the sled right up the middle of the 4 lane.

I took my step son on the test, together we were around 475lbs and that "vehicle" had no problem with the giddy-up go...Lots of it:D

·
Premium Member
102 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
Take a look at where the Can Am finished in a Consumer Reports reliability study.

LINK TO STUDY
When you consider the bottom 6 are what I would call "high price boutique brands", it goes to show that not always is "cheap" cheap. The 05 Spyders had a habit of self igniting in your driveway.

In reference to the comments after a short test ride, most of those who ride them that I have talked to, just love em. As a touring platform, their ST and touring models command good reviews from their owners. To compare it to a 2wheel cruiser is asinine in my view.

Are they different, yes, do they ride different ... yes, should anybody expect it to handle like a 2 wheel bike ...er, no. Does it move its butt, go to youtube and watch a stock spyder blow off a hemi pick up with slicks at the strip. at this link ...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DaIHoBAzeaA

Lets see, 998 cc, 100 hp and people are bitchen that nothing happens under 5000rpm ... go ride a ducati and see what happens under 5 grand ... and then see what happens between 5 and 10.

Just cause its different does not mean its junk.... its just different.

I just love it when people compare apples to ... er ... watermelons.

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
3 wheels, Need to Fly

If I was going to do 3 wheels, it'd be a trike, I think. That way, the whole part in front of me looks and (mostly) feels like a motorcycle. I've never ridden a Spyder, but I sat on one and it felt more like a jet ski than a motorcycle.
bb,, bikes. we ride em because they make us feel like we are flying.. piloting our aeroplanes just mere inches above ground level.. sorta like hugging the terrain..
I did the trike thing a few years back. trik'ed out my lectraglide.. sorry dealer, wound up costing me 15large, but that is history.. I rode that rigg 2yrs 20k miles. it was different. fun, ok. was xtremely stable and great for 2 up. could carry a ton of groceries n beer.. it was, ah how do you say,, boring?.. but stable and safe.. no, boring is more closer true.. I sold it (that hardly motor was about to blow its cookies at 70k) here are some pix.

Butt, the time will come when I do something like this again. I have coin in with this company www.TiltingMotorWorks.com they have a bolt on front end to existing sleds, (hardly n wings 4 now). It puts 2 wheels and brakes out front, doesn't touch or hose your bike drive train and LEANS in the corners like the reason why we ride in the first place. chek em out, write feedback. poncho

Attachments

·
Premium Member
3,671 Posts
the concept has been around for at least 9 years that I know of ..... its what ever gets the job done.
PS Ponch, Im in your neck of the woods.

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
Piaggio 500 triple.. a fella on, I forget which 4m, has one and says it is the balls.. him and his wife ride it all over Fla..
is what got me interested in the front end. I considered buying one as a trainer bike for fambly and frends, $10k yikes!
My researched turned up TMW in Seattle. have had numerous exchanges with this business, it is new(er). They seem to have a product (solution) that is marketable. When I retire soon, I think to open a franchise installing these front ends on existing bikes.. its still in the concept stage.

Call/text when you'r in town. you got my cell number? pm for it. adios, poncho

1 - 18 of 18 Posts