Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all and thanks in advance for any help, I have recently purchased a 2002 Meanstreak that had issues with 3rd and 4th gear, so I took the leap and decided to split the cases and repair the transmission assembly, everything looked to have gone ok and I now have the cases re assembled and the entire bottom end back together, now my problem is that when I try to shift gear with the engine on my table I won’t shift at all I can pull the shift lever up or down and there’s no change, I tried it with the engine not moving and I also tried it while spinning the crankshaft to see if it would help and no luck. I used the manual to re assemble everything so I don’t know what could be going wrong, is this normal? Should I continue assembling the engine and install it and start it up? Or do I need to tear the engine down again and split the cases ?

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Assuming you have installed all the parts correctly, you should be able to move the shifter down and get 1st gear. In order to shift into any other gear you will need to spin the output gear shaft. I use an electric impact wrench. If you do not spin the shaft the positive neutral balls will prevent you from shifting up. I do not recommend any further assembly until this is resolved. Also, did you replace the entire transmission, or purchase repair parts?

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Yes I replaced the entire transmission gear assembly with a “next to new” used assembly I pulled out of a crashed bike. All the gears stayed on the shafts so I know they are in the correct place, what I don’t know is how to line the shift drum and forks up to the gears properly. The repair manual is extremely vague when they describe the assembly process, basically saying install the gears forks and shift all as a set, that all the details they give me

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Assembling the transmission can be a bit intimidating. However, when the two shafts and shift drum are meshed together, they will just drop into the case. This is the only way it can be assembled. It is also very important that the 270 & 293 shift forks be in the correct position. Reason I asked about the transmission is, the meanstreak gears are different than all the rest. You can replace an
entire assembly from another bike, but if you are just changing parts, they must be from a meanstreak.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yes all the parts came out of a mean streak and back into a mean streak, the 270 and 293 shift forks are for sure in the correct spot, after I posted this I decided to split the cases again because I didn’t want to get any further ahead only to tear it down again later, and I believe I have found the problem, it seems like when I installed the shift I i didn’t get one of the forks dowls to line up into the shift drum grooves, I’m fairly sure all is well now, now to reassemble everything and hope for the best lol

·
Premium Member
1,199 Posts
Good find. I always make it a practice to test the transmission for shifting before I get too far in the assembly. Lot easier to repair before the rest is assembled.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Agreed, I’m glad I caught that now, would have really been upset if I had already put the motor back in the bike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts