Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Some time ago I was going through some of the threads looking for information on valve train noise....There was one thread that addressed this describing the same symptoms I had.. excessive noise at 25-3500 RPM..and in deceleration as well...with 30K~ on the motor ..Diagnosis...cam and cam follower wear....
I just got a used lot from ebay dropped off by the post office and finished the install about an hour ago....Now for those who have in excess of 30K...I have about 65K on mine(vn900 2008) and this is exactly the problem I had....very easy to repair and takes about an hour or so...depending on your abilities and interest...I took pics as well and have them attached for illustration...may be hard to see but they will give you an idea just the same....phones are NOT great cameras...

Attachments

·
Registered
227 Posts
Camshaft wear

Interesting, but is it normal/expected for 30K+ to have excessive cam shaft wear?!
So what is the procedure to replace?
I know it must be in the manual but tips and tricks from someone who just done it would be great.
Do you have any more photos of what you did?
That would be useful...
Cheers

·
BOTM Winner, December 2013
1,172 Posts
musta got a bad one.....there are many vn900s out there with 50k miles+ on them..some with near 100k miles....heck even a few with 150k+ and this is the first camshaft failure i have heard of......hope you got a good deal on the parts!!!!!

·
Registered
259 Posts
i heard oil level and amt of sludge and coking has alot to do with how much camshaft wear you get. cams are up high so they are the first to get any reduction in oil.

change your oil and don't run rich!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
musta got a bad one.....there are many vn900s out there with 50k miles+ on them..some with near 100k miles....heck even a few with 150k+ and this is the first camshaft failure i have heard of......hope you got a good deal on the parts!!!!!
Not too bad...about 130 for rear and front with the rockers....Good cams too..about 15,000 kilometres on them..measured the lift and checked the cam rotation and no flat spots with smooth lift.....Just put about 1,700K on the replacement and no problems....so far all's good!

·
1,172 Posts
glad it worked out form ya dude... btw my hometown aint far from yours...born in c-brook and raised on the port au port peninsula...and i take my vn9 down home with me every summer on vacation...

·
1,172 Posts
lol....ya just never know !!!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts