Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Question about measuring the cam chain tensioner. Getting the bike ready for summer I wanted to measure the tensioners. I was thinking I would see a rod under the cap when removed but I see what looks like a tube. From what I read on gadgets page Im supposed to measure from the top of the tube (rod) to the top of the threaded body? The best I could measure I came up with is 3/8" of a inch. I have 28000 miles on the bike. Is it time for the extenders? thanks.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
If you have 3/8" showing you're getting down there. Generally, tensioners need the extenders around 33-40k miles, depending.

·
Registered
436 Posts
I wonder what the variables are. I've got over 60K on mine with original tensioners. I'm not getting any clatter and I certainly haven't worn a hole through my spark plug tube. Is measuring them the only way to know for sure? Is there a service spec for them to refer to?

·
Registered
113 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It looks to me that the carb must be removed and the tube that goes from air cleaner to carb also to get at the front one for replacement. Carb removal does not look to hard. I want to keep the stock air intake so I cant just cut the tube our of there.

·
Premium Member
3,146 Posts
It looks to me that the carb must be removed and the tube that goes from air cleaner to carb also to get at the front one for replacement. Carb removal does not look to hard. I want to keep the stock air intake so I cant just cut the tube our of there.
This is where you need a shop or a Clymer manual. :D

1 - 6 of 6 Posts