Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've watched several videos and read lots of opinions about these, it looks to be a fairly straight forward procedure...

But then I read stuff like this: Cam Chain Tensioner Extenders Installation - Vulcan Bagger Forums

and it worries me because I dont understand all of it. Like this for example:

"Don't remove a tensioner without first insuring that the related cylinder is at top dead center on the compression stroke. Otherwise, an open valve can close under the pressure of its spring, spinning the camshaft and slipping the timing. Important to note that there is absolutely nothing that prevents the chain from slipping on the gear other than gravity and friction, neither of which are guarantees in this situation."

I'm not a mechanic, I've done brakes, plugs and fluid changes on my bike, that's about the extent of it... is this something I should take on, or should I have a shop do it? If the shop does it, how long can I expect to be billed for?

Thank you

·
Registered
281 Posts
If I were unsure of doing this procedure I would get a quote from a shop before starting. That way you can make an informed decision on whether you should try this or pay the professional and be covered if a mistake happens.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
if it's under a cNote I'll have it done... otherwise I might try to do it myself... the ticking is pretty annoying, Im guessing once i put my dual bagger V&H pipes on I wont hear it as much though :p

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Funny, the dealerships I spoke with are not sure what this is... (they are Kawi dealerships). Am I crazy?

·
Registered
814 Posts
if it's under a cNote I'll have it done... otherwise I might try to do it myself... the ticking is pretty annoying, Im guessing once i put my dual bagger V&H pipes on I wont hear it as much though :p
Are you sure the tensioners are out of travel? There's a couple ways to check. You can visually inspect the tensioner travel per Gadget's page, or even easier inspect the spark plug well sleeves for wear marks, also on Gadget's page.

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
No I am not, I will verify this. Thanks!

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
1 - 8 of 8 Posts