Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all u guys that have this 230 on ur factory wheel I really want to do this... have any of u experienced ANY safety issues at all? How long have u been riding on this tire?

·
Registered
208 Posts
I haven't had any issues with mine. I have only heard of one problem from a 230 owner, and that turned out to be he didn't trim the inner mud flap enough. I have had my 230 for a while now and will be staying with it. I know of a couple of guys that has had theirs for quite a few years. One of the better mods in my opinion.

·
Registered
151 Posts
What does this mod accomplish? I read something about upping rear tire size to 200 to help correct the speedo? Is this right?

Thanks fellas

·
Registered
208 Posts
What does this mod accomplish? To make the rear end look cool! Thats really about it. It did help with correcting the speedo issue from what I can tell. I have done some tests and it does seem to be more acurate. I lowered mine at the same time and love the look and ride. And the rear fender now looks like it fits so much better.

As far as size, it is a 230/60B-15 (86H) Avon Roadrunner AM21 Rear Motorcycle Tire. I do not believe the 230 fits the fender of the classic, I think the 200 is the largest you can go with. I got my tire from this site (I am not affiliated with them, just happy with there service)
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do;jsessionid=4EA2A4A9B0A5BB03E16064E5067BFE25.westring1?navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&navType=type&webTypeId=229&prodFamilyId=22944&listingId=&sizeAttr=6999

Pictures, well ok

·
Registered
208 Posts
Ya, I know she looks bad. I try to keep her washed but being she is a daily driver it gets kinda hard to keep her clean. The day those pics were taken, we were mainly takeing pics of my wifes bike and decided to put mine in also. So please forum members forgive me for posting a dirty pic! :(

·
Registered
5 Posts
What does this mod accomplish? To make the rear end look cool! Thats really about it. It did help with correcting the speedo issue from what I can tell. I have done some tests and it does seem to be more acurate. I lowered mine at the same time and love the look and ride. And the rear fender now looks like it fits so much better.

As far as size, it is a 230/60B-15 (86H) Avon Roadrunner AM21 Rear Motorcycle Tire. I do not believe the 230 fits the fender of the classic, I think the 200 is the largest you can go with. I got my tire from this site (I am not affiliated with them, just happy with there service)
http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do;jsessionid=4EA2A4A9B0A5BB03E16064E5067BFE25.westring1?navTitle=Tires+and+Wheels&webCatId=8&navType=type&webTypeId=229&prodFamilyId=22944&listingId=&sizeAttr=6999

Pictures, well ok
Looks a WHOLE lot better from stock. How does it ride double up? Does it cause any interference?

Also, is there a way to bring the back wheel back without changing the rear pulley?

·
Registered
208 Posts
Two up isnt bad at all. You will need to set your shock to 6 or 7 and watch out for bad bumps. I personally have not bottomed out but i have heard from some that has.

I am not sure what what you are asking about moving the tire back and changing a pully. I didnt do any of those things.

·
Premium Member
11 Posts
I installed ME880's on my 900 classic lt.with a 200 on the rear..
Man!! what a difference it makes in the control and ride.
My next set will be ME880's
Factory set completly wore out at 9800 miles
I now have 17000 and the tires still look and ride good
( Year round rider, Coldest ride this winter was 12 degrees windchill 1 hour and ten min to work)

·
Registered
13 Posts
What all needs to be done to put a 230 tire on? Shaving anything down? I am planning on doing this but I need to know EVERYTHING that is involved in it!

·
Registered
208 Posts
Now all the guys that got there new tire need to remember to post some pics when they are installed.

Trimming wise, the belt gaurds will need to be trimmed to fit. The inner mud flap needs to be trimmed down to just above the two top mounting holes. I trimmed mine to where it gives just enough room to allow the screw head to set properly and did a "V" pattern inbetween the two holes about 2 inches further down. If that makes any sence. Unless you do alot of mud ridding or hit alot of puddles it will be no issue. If you do do alot of the formentioned, you can add a piece of foam or something behind the battery to make you feel better.

I would also recomend stiffining up your shock to about 5 or 6 for solo riding and 6 or 7 for two up. This mod is actually fairly easy. Just rmember how the tire is mounted, don't loose any spacers or washers. And don't over tighten your belt. That would probably be the hardest part, adjusting your belt.

And if you are going to lower your bike, it is easier to do it while the tire is off. It takes the weight off the swing arm. And the tire is wide, so it will be close to the fenders inner supports, but is does have enough room for clearance (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on either side)

·
Registered
953 Posts
Now all the guys that got there new tire need to remember to post some pics when they are installed.

Trimming wise, the belt gaurds will need to be trimmed to fit. The inner mud flap needs to be trimmed down to just above the two top mounting holes. I trimmed mine to where it gives just enough room to allow the screw head to set properly and did a "V" pattern inbetween the two holes about 2 inches further down. If that makes any sence. Unless you do alot of mud ridding or hit alot of puddles it will be no issue. If you do do alot of the formentioned, you can add a piece of foam or something behind the battery to make you feel better.

I would also recomend stiffining up your shock to about 5 or 6 for solo riding and 6 or 7 for two up. This mod is actually fairly easy. Just rmember how the tire is mounted, don't loose any spacers or washers. And don't over tighten your belt. That would probably be the hardest part, adjusting your belt.

And if you are going to lower your bike, it is easier to do it while the tire is off. It takes the weight off the swing arm. And the tire is wide, so it will be close to the fenders inner supports, but is does have enough room for clearance (about 1/4 to 1/2 inch on either side)
gillisfire,

can you tell me where you got that license plate mount? Thanks and bike looks great

·
Registered
208 Posts
The plate holder is just something I made up in the shop. Just a piece of flate stock aluminum and a alum. angle stock, rivited together, held to the bike with hose clamps with rubber gromets. The plate cover I got from Radiantz.com with L.E.D. lights. Nothing fancy but it works and looks ok.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts