Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK, I just found out that the VV I just purchased last week is a California model. On every other bike I have been told I did not want that. The Kawasaki dealer I purchased from never mention that this was a Cali model. I dont know wether to be pissed or not. Is there much differance besides the vaccum hoses for fuel vapor recovery? Am I being cheated of preformance? Should I get a lawyer and demand a none Cali model? Do I have a reason to be pissed? You just cant imagine what is going through my mind right now. I only found out after the dealer mech told me because I noticed a couple of vaccum lines hanging from under the frame/tank, and asked him to hide them. And looking in the owners manual at the sticker locations verifies that this IS a Cali model. He also told me that they have from time to time gotten in Cali models from the mfg and never really questioned it. How many of you have a Cali model and didnt or dont know it? Should the dealer not have disclosed this information to me?
Sorry for my seemingly to be going off the deep wnd, But I am. I look forward to hearing from those of you that know better than me.
Thanks,
Frank :confused:

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I997 using Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
53 Posts
Are you sure that they aren't all "50 state" models now? I bought my 2011 Nomad in Utah and had it shipped to Los Angeles. It had a "50 state" certification and got registered in CA with no problems.
BTW, I haven't had any problems with the way it runs, especially after I put RACENRAY's throttle mod on it. I do have other plans in mind for it though :D.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I have a friend that bought a Vulcan Voyager and didn't know it was a California model until weeks later. He was upset too, but what can you do. Like Hammer said there's a collection canister that attempts to return fuel back into the gas tank. The downside my friend found was that he could not fill the gas tank to the full indicator without having problems.
Knowing what I know now if I were to buy a new bike I would make sure that it was not a California model.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Frank, I saw your post & got curious. I went out & checked my 2011 Nomad I bought in March & guess what, it's a California model as well! Now i don't know if i should be pissed but i am. Bought mine at Kawasaki City in Lancaster,Texas. (Dallas suburb) What's the purpose of having 2 models if the California model if it's sold all over the country anyway? When you say California model on anything i immediately think of reduced performance cause of additional EPA regulation crap. As far as i can tell right now it has a different fuel evaporative system for sure. I don't really know what that means except for there is more crap to eventually give problems. I will be discussing this with my dealer for sure. All i know is that if i had wanted a California model i would have went to California to buy it. I do plan on installing Racnrays' throttle mod, Cobra Scallloped tip slip-ons & a K & N filter so maybe that might offset any performance loss caused by additional restrictions. If any of you guys find out anything else please let me & Frank know.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
I know the Vulcan 900's have reports of reduced fuel economy on the California models. I've often wondered, too, why there are two models, unless there is some significant disadvantage or reason Kawasaki bothers to sell two models rather than JUST the California model (which would be legal everywhere).

·
Registered
169 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well, This is what I just found out after calling the number in the back of the owners manual:
The only difference is that the Ca model has a fuel vapor recovery system. (vacuum hoses, charcoal canister etc...) instead of venting to the atmosphere. However, the tank is also different because of the added line or lines. Kawai will not pay to have this system removed but will not void the warranty if I remove it. I guess now I need to determine if its worth it or not. Probably not. The owners manual says on Cali models NOT to fill above the bottom of the filler tube because fuel will get into the recovery system and cause performance issues. So.....Also, he could not explain why this bike was on the east coast or why my dealer did not disclose this info to me. And I am wondering now, does it really matter? So maybe I got all hot and bothered for nothing? No O2 sensor or any electrical differences tells me that I should leave well enough alone and put it out of my head :) I still love my VV
Comments please:

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
If it were me I would disconnect, plug and remove anything pertaining to that fuel recovery system because I like filling the gas tank as full as I want. The California models shouldn't be sold over here in the East, that they are. My friend that bought the VV here in Florida was a California model and had problems if he filled it up to full, even to the bottom of the filler tube. So he had to stop filling about an inch below that. If I was stuck with a model like that, I would just remove it all and be done with it.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
And you're positive it's a Cal modle?
Well anyway, his was a 2011 and it caused him problems.

·
Registered
636 Posts
How

How do I tell if its a california model? I bought mine in chicago area. It has some funny hoses on both sides of the bike coming from under the tank. It does not have an o2 sensor though.

·
Registered
112 Posts
How do I tell if its a california model? I bought mine in chicago area. It has some funny hoses on both sides of the bike coming from under the tank. It does not have an o2 sensor though.
new kawi rider,

I only had 2 hoses to disconnect to remove my tank to install my Cobra PowerPro. One from the fuel pump on left side and one from the rear right side, a vent line I assume. How many did you have to disconnect to pull your tank when you installed your PCV?

·
Registered
11 Posts
And you're positive it's a Cal modle?
Well anyway, his was a 2011 and it caused him problems.
Yes bought the bike in Arizona. The dealer disclosed as a CA model. And on the rear fender under the seat there is a data tag that says it is a CA model and has the diagram of the hose routing and characoal canister next to it.

·
Registered
82 Posts
Under the drivers' seat on the rear fender there is a Vehicle Emission Control Information sticker. If it's a California model it will say on the sticker " This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA and California regulations" If it's not a California model it just says "This vehicle conforms to U.S. EPA regulations"

·
Registered
636 Posts
Its official

Its official I got corn holed its a california model no wonder it runs like crap!!!!!!!!!!! I just thought the bike in general was a pos! Boy I am pissed! This is horse sh..!

·
Registered
636 Posts
hoses

new kawi rider,

I only had 2 hoses to disconnect to remove my tank to install my Cobra PowerPro. One from the fuel pump on left side and one from the rear right side, a vent line I assume. How many did you have to disconnect to pull your tank when you installed your PCV?
I think there was 4 or 5 almsy. I was putting a heat shield on the cross over pipe the other day and noticed that canister thing under the bike. Wow I am flabergatsed by this. Never heard of such. a lot of the VTX guys had troubles getting there california models to run right after doing up grades. I thought all california models had an 02 sensor? We all need to come together and figure out how to get rid of all that unneeded extra crap on the bike. DAVIDSHEEK any ideas?

·
Registered
636 Posts
Hold over model?

How many guys that bought a cali model bought the bike as a hold over at a discounted price?

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
I think there was 4 or 5 almsy. I was putting a heat shield on the cross over pipe the other day and noticed that canister thing under the bike. Wow I am flabergatsed by this. Never heard of such. a lot of the VTX guys had troubles getting there california models to run right after doing up grades. I thought all california models had an 02 sensor? We all need to come together and figure out how to get rid of all that unneeded extra crap on the bike. DAVIDSHEEK any ideas?
Like I said in post #8 I would just take off that canaster and plug off the male fittings on the tank, except for the vent line of course. As far as the ECU (if there is a difference) there's nothing you can do. Except ordering a non-cal ECU.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts