Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Alright so the past few weeks I have been attending various motorcycle safety schools offered by the Marine Corps on Camp Lejeune, NC. The 2 that stood out was ARTD (Advanced Rider Track Day) and AMOS (Advanced Motorcycle Operator School). For those two school the instructors from the California Superbike School were there, including Keith Code himself. With ARTD it was just a 0.4 mile track set out by cones and it was open to all bikes. Learned alot about my bike and my abilities on my bike and did things I never though possible on these bike (I ride a Custom BTW). The last two days I did AMOS. OMG wow, amazing classes. Instructors were fantastic. If you couldn't get something right, then they just kept working with you and never once got frustrated. The amount of knowledge was kinda intimitating at first but by then end of the two days everything fell into place. I was pulling lap times as quick as alot of the sportbike dudes. I was able to stop this little pig in 29 yards at 40mph, 39 yards at 50 mph, and 46 yards at 60 mph. This bike can perform pretty freaking amazingly. They also had a new decked out BMW S1000RR for us to get a VERY breif testride on it. OMFG that bike is a rocket. Throw it in second and at around 9000 RPM it just takes off and power doesn't fall off, of course I didnt even closely reach the limit of the speed on that thing. It literally felt like it was going to grow wings and fly away. The thing was so light and felt amazingly stable in the corners. Just wicked crazy. It was also one of the smoothest vehicles I have ever operated. I'm getting pretty serious about making this an investment down the road (or something similar). Anyways, useless post, just trying to promote the awsomeness of this school, I suggest anyone of you go. It's without a doubt, one of the best learning experiances I have ever had in my life. OK, sorry it took so long. Stay safe out there guys.
Sean

·
Registered
52 Posts
sounds pretty fun, dont have anyhting like that around here. I have to ask are you a Marine? I was station at Bragg for several years in the 90's, wow I'm freakin old now! anyway thanks for the post!

·
Registered
231 Posts
I was pulling lap times as quick as alot of the sportbike dudes. I was able to stop this little pig in 29 yards at 40mph, 39 yards at 50 mph, and 46 yards at 60 mph. This bike can perform pretty freaking amazingly. Stay safe out there guys.
Sean
Sounds like a GREAT school!
We forget sometimes (or at least I do!) that the Vulcan is indeed a pretty capable bike.
No...you're not going to reel in a Busa from light to light, but this bike has pretty darned good handling and braking for a 550+ pound V2 bike. It has a pretty big back tire, and the brakes are MUCH better than I thought a $6500 bike could have---and at 50 (more or less) RWHP, it's not to shabby in acceleration either if you don't go betting your pinks on it.

It's a PAIN in the backside having to take MC safety courses every three years to ride a scoot in the military, (something I'm currently 2-3 months DINK on!!:( ) BUT...you always get something of value out of the basic/advanced rider courses---and they're kinda fun to attend!!!:D

Be SAFE!

·
Registered
52 Posts
Thank you for your Service Brother! Got a son in on his 2nd tour in Korea now! Tried to sway his decision on the Army, nuthin doing, but I did talk him into keeping his feet on the ground HOOAH!

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
devil dog checking in :)
You don't happen to know if they do these classes on a regular basis, do you? On the reserve side, they'll occasionally pay for the basic MSF course but that's about it. If they do it again at Lejeune and have any extra slots open, I'd love to get more info. Lejeune is well within range for a weekend course.

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
What an awesome experience that must have been. To have someone patiently show you how to make the most out of your bike is a priceless opportunity. Very cool.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
You don't happen to know if they do these classes on a regular basis, do you? On the reserve side, they'll occasionally pay for the basic MSF course but that's about it. If they do it again at Lejeune and have any extra slots open, I'd love to get more info. Lejeune is well within range for a weekend course.
We did have one reservist guy out there. You Just gotta talk to your Motorcycle Saftey Rep.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I'll drop him a line and ask again. Last I spoke to him about it (just a few months ago), it was hard enough finding funding to cover the basic MSF course and impossible to get us into anything beyond it.

I'm assuming the Marine Corps paid for all this and it was free to the participants?

·
Registered
231 Posts
If you're a drilling reservist - at least in the Navy, then you may participate in any certified MSF course free of charge - in fact, I believe you can get orders for said course.
Marines do things differently, but I think that since you guys are in the Department of the Navy (yeah, I know...MENS department! Heard that one!!!:rolleyes:) then there is a pot of money out there for you to tap into to get your MSF course paid for by uncle Sugar.
When I get time, I'll look into it a little more, but MY NOSC has sent IRR folks to civilian MSF courses on paid orders - and I'll be attending one soon myself - as soon as work slows down.

If you're an active duty booty, then I think you have to arrange for a DOD course on a base somewhere.

Either way - I'm getting pinged on pretty loudly from my bosses for not having taken the course AGAIN after 3-1/2 years...so if you wear the uniform, you reeeeally need to do so. They're going to get nasty with DON folks who ride and have never done the MSF course - and I think that the Army and Air Force have similar aims.

Edit: Retirees can participate in a DOD rider course that's taught on base free of charge also, but I believe it's on a space available basis.
Source: http://navymotorcyclerider.com

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
I'm guessing if Lejeune is in driving distance, Cherry Point and Bogue Field are, too. Cherry Point does them from time to time but I always seem to be gone somewhere when it happens. I can't get the CP site to work or I'd give you the number to the MC safety office there. Let me know if you can't find it, I'll ask around at work and see if somebody has it handy. If you want Lejeune's number, it's 910-451-5903 or 2038.

Edit: I did manage to find this on another forum if it helps any.

To enroll in a course a rider needs to contact their Motorcycle Mentorship Program President or contact Bob Dubois at 910-451-4289

The following information is provided for the Advanced Motorcycle Operator School (AMOS): The course is open to Sportbikes and Cruisers except where noted. Any age, any military rank.
Dates
COURSE 3: AUG 7,8,9 MCALF BOGUE FIELD, NC
COURSE 4: AUG 10,11,12 MCAS CHERRY POINT, NC
COURSE 5: AUG 22,23,24 MCAS CHERRY POINT, NC
COURSE 6: AUG 25,26,27 MCAS CHERRY POINT, NC
COURSE 7: AUG 28,29,30 MCALF BOGUE FIELD, NC (CRUISER ONLY COURSE)
COURSE 8: AUG 31, SEP 1,2 MCAS CHERRY POINT, NC

Advanced Rider Track Day (ARTD) information: The course is open to Sportbikes and Cruisers. Any age, any military rank.
August 14 MCALF Bogue Field NC
September 11 MCALF Bogue Field NC
October 16 MCALF Bogue Field NC
Unrelated question: Are reserve units required to have a club?

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #13 (Edited)
I did the BRC (Basic Riders Course) and ERC (Experianced Riders Course) on Ljeune, I did the ARTD at Bogue and I did AMOS at Cherry Point, all funded by USMC. By Marine Corps Order, if you ride a motorcyle you are REQUIRED to take the BRC and ERC (both very similar to MSF) it is a chargeable offense. Things may be different for Reservist, but thats how it is for Active Duty.

BRC and ERC is instructed by Military Personnel. ARTD and AMOS is instructed by the same instructors from the California Superbike School. BRC and ERC are hardly worth doing if you've had more than 2 years experiance. ARTD and AMOS were amazing classes, I have been riding for 8-9 years and did things I didn't think were possible on cruisers. Just amazing info. I plan on saving up some money and going to the actual school. Get on the S1000RR on an actual road track.

·
Registered
1,082 Posts
I've taken the MSF course several years ago on my own dime (and am hoping to do it again sometime this Fall). It was my understanding that the BRC was the basic MSF course. Is there a difference at all? Never knew the ERC was required by an MCO. I'll have to find some more info out about that. Thanks for all the info that you and others have posted here. I'll do some follow up and hopefully have some info I can pass back to the unit here in Roanoke.

·
Registered
74 Posts
Alright so the past few weeks I have been attending various motorcycle safety schools offered by the Marine Corps on Camp Lejeune, NC. The 2 that stood out was ARTD (Advanced Rider Track Day) and AMOS (Advanced Motorcycle Operator School). For those two school the instructors from the California Superbike School were there, including Keith Code himself. With ARTD it was just a 0.4 mile track set out by cones and it was open to all bikes. Learned alot about my bike and my abilities on my bike and did things I never though possible on these bike (I ride a Custom BTW). The last two days I did AMOS. OMG wow, amazing classes. Instructors were fantastic. If you couldn't get something right, then they just kept working with you and never once got frustrated. The amount of knowledge was kinda intimitating at first but by then end of the two days everything fell into place. I was pulling lap times as quick as alot of the sportbike dudes. I was able to stop this little pig in 29 yards at 40mph, 39 yards at 50 mph, and 46 yards at 60 mph. This bike can perform pretty freaking amazingly. They also had a new decked out BMW S1000RR for us to get a VERY breif testride on it. OMFG that bike is a rocket. Throw it in second and at around 9000 RPM it just takes off and power doesn't fall off, of course I didnt even closely reach the limit of the speed on that thing. It literally felt like it was going to grow wings and fly away. The thing was so light and felt amazingly stable in the corners. Just wicked crazy. It was also one of the smoothest vehicles I have ever operated. I'm getting pretty serious about making this an investment down the road (or something similar). Anyways, useless post, just trying to promote the awsomeness of this school, I suggest anyone of you go. It's without a doubt, one of the best learning experiances I have ever had in my life. OK, sorry it took so long. Stay safe out there guys.
Sean
I work for the Navy and Marine Corps at NSWC Panama City. The Advanced Riders Course is compulsory for sport bikers. I ride cruisers and have had the MSF experienced rider course 3 times. My instructor in the third course rode a cruiser, but used it for the advanced course just for kicks. He said that maneuvers they were dragging pegs with at the beginning were done at 5-7 mph faster with no dragging at the end of the course.

Mike (RoadKill) Wynn

1 - 15 of 15 Posts