Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
At another board members house ( Dave ) and we noticed my 2011 VV had a extra vent hose on the left side of the tank with a red band. Looking at his 09 VV he doesn't have that extra vent. Anyway , followed that vent line to a return pump sitting next to a cannister with a blue and green line ( pg. 236 in owners manuel ) which is a Ca. model, verified it by looking at label under seat stating Ca. model. Here is the thing I live in Florida so, I'm going to the dealer Tuesday and see if they remove all the Ca. junk. My question is if, they can't remove that stuff and I'm stuck with a California bike does anyone know if the extra EPA junk like vacuuum hoses and whatever would effect performance or what?

·
Registered
291 Posts
At another board members house ( Dave ) and we noticed my 2011 VV had a extra vent hose on the left side of the tank with a red band. Looking at his 09 VV he doesn't have that extra vent. Anyway , followed that vent line to a return pump sitting next to a cannister with a blue and green line ( pg. 236 in owners manuel ) which is a Ca. model, verified it by looking at label under seat stating Ca. model. Here is the thing I live in Florida so, I'm going to the dealer Tuesday and see if they remove all the Ca. junk. My question is if, they can't remove that stuff and I'm stuck with a California bike does anyone know if the extra EPA junk like vacuuum hoses and whatever would effect performance or what?
If a dealer in Florida sold you a California bike without you knowing it then I would say you may have some legal recourse. :confused:

·
Registered
45 Posts
some states may require CA emissions-not sure about bikes but autos in NY, NJ and some others must be CA emission compliant.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Florida doesn't even have emission testing. We don't care what comes out the exhaust pipe...lol It's good if you are into modding cars and bikes. No carb crap to deal with. It wouldn't make sense to have a new CA model here, they cost a little more.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I'm still going to talk to the dealer even though I'm not sure is it's a problem or not. I have researched the Ca. set up, all it is is a vent line from the left side of the tank that sends fuel vapors to a return pump that routes the vapors to the throttle going behind air cleaner to be reburned. I think all it's going to effect is for me having to buy accessories for a Ca. model bike but not sure.

·
Registered
66 Posts
While this isn't apples to apples, on another make and model bike that I ride the only difference being a CA model made was that it had the vapor recovery system, it had the extra plumbing in the tank to support it and the tank cap (completely removable, not hinged) was not interchangeable with non-CA tanks. Biggest problem is that people didn't like the space the recovery can took up especially since some aftermarket headers would route through that area. There was no impact on performance. Really the only CA specific parts you'll probably need to worry about would be the tank itself if it ever needs to be replaced. There may be some differences in the FI but I'm not confident on it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pow 2k is right, there is no lack of performance or o2 sensors on the Ca. Models it's just the vapor line from the tank to the a canister underneath the bike. I haven't spoken with Kawi yet but, what I read in the owners Manuel it sounds to me that Kawi is going to support this Ca. CARB stuff by making all newer bikes Ca. models. I also was talking with Cobra tec support about my powerpro and I mentioned to him about the Ca. Model I got in Fl. He said all manufacturers now are starting to follow Ca. Emissions so, thanks California. By the way that powerpro problem will be posted in another post later on today or tomorrow when tec support calls me back so, if your planning hold off on it until I speak with cobra. I will post back.

·
Premium Member
2,115 Posts
Did they say anything about the red light or is that part of what you are waiting for a reply?

·
Registered
291 Posts
Pow 2k is right, there is no lack of performance or o2 sensors on the Ca. Models it's just the vapor line from the tank to the a canister underneath the bike. I haven't spoken with Kawi yet but, what I read in the owners Manuel it sounds to me that Kawi is going to support this Ca. CARB stuff by making all newer bikes Ca. models. I also was talking with Cobra tec support about my powerpro and I mentioned to him about the Ca. Model I got in Fl. He said all manufacturers now are starting to follow Ca. Emissions so, thanks California. By the way that powerpro problem will be posted in another post later on today or tomorrow when tec support calls me back so, if your planning hold off on it until I speak with cobra. I will post back.
Are you referring to a problem with the new power pro? if so what problem? If not, what problem are you referring to? I'm heavily considering the power pro as I am not happy with my fi2000r and don't like the complication of the other tuners out there.Thanks for your help

·
Registered
701 Posts
If you are having a problem with the power pro you may need the CA model power pro. There are different models for CA.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
That's what I was thinking but I talked with Cobra tec support today and was told that the powerpro was good on either model bike. He did say and I didn't know this that ca. Models will work on non ca. bikes and vice a versa, it's just a state regulation on when a Ca. bike engine can receive extra gas. That's what he said anyway and it make sense since since it's just rerouting unburned gas.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't think there is a problem with the powerpro yet anyway. Think it was the bike. It was real hard to start so automatically thought it was the powerpro but looking in the owners book it states on ca. model bike do not over fill gas tank do to hard starting because of the canister on these bikes. Well I have a habit of putting as much gas as I can put in so, it was way up to the filler neck. If you have a non ca. model bike hold onto it, it appears that all manufacturers are heading slowly to this ca. CARB emissions BS.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok, went back to the dealer about this ca. model bike. I was told that Kawasaki is starting to make all bikes all state ready and other manufacturers are going to follow. This is the same state that screwed up guns with magazine safety's. Thanks California.

·
Registered
701 Posts
Ok, went back to the dealer about this ca. model bike. I was told that Kawasaki is starting to make all bikes all state ready and other manufacturers are going to follow. This is the same state that screwed up guns with magazine safety's. Thanks California.
That is so true. Dam Californian Commies!!! They should leave the rest of us alone and go hug a tree.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts