Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought some electric FirstGear gloves and a jacket liner and now I'm wondering if there is enough juice in the battery to support their use. Does anyone know how big is the electric load to run the engine and lights? How much is left for things like a GPS and heated gear?

·
Registered
2,001 Posts
I just bought some electric FirstGear gloves and a jacket liner and now I'm wondering if there is enough juice in the battery to support their use. Does anyone know how big is the electric load to run the engine and lights? How much is left for things like a GPS and heated gear?
Hello, that's a great question. I've been an Elec. Tech. (not engineer) for a long time and I'll try and help.
The charge circuit is protected by a 30 amp fuse. That means that once the bike is started the stator (s) or alternator(s) supply's amps (its rectified and regulated first) to run everything. That includes recharging the battery.

The stators on my bike (08 1500) is rated to put out 42 amps @ 6000 RPM.

The thing about power consumption is...what ever is needed or drawn from this 42 amps (30 amp fuse remember) is what the stators supply. So if the battery pulls a couple and the lights and ECU pull 5 to 10 amps...then the rest (30 amp fuse) can be used for your accessories. Just guesstimates.

So...the battery output (start amps) should not be the question. It's the load after you start the bike. Just keep all your extras off until you start the bike and you'll be fine. If you blow that 30 amp fuse then I would eliminate something. LOL Keep a good one handy and know where to replace. Keep warm...your 900 is designed for extra accessory load.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts