Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
40 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2008 900 Classic LT and am on my third season with about 8,000 miles on the bike. I need to lube the throttle and clutch cables and have not done it before. I have searched this thread for a procedure but cannot find one. Looking things over, I assume I need to split the throttle housing so I can get to the cable openings. The cable guides run up hill then down to the throttle wheels, so I assume I need to disconnect the cables and pull out the cable guides from the housing to get a downward flow of lube. I'm planning on using a liquid graphite cabe lube that I've heard of people using. It's in a squeeze bottle. Also, The clutch cable on the L/H grip will need to be removed (right?) and if I flow the lube down, will it run out the bottom of the clutch housing to tell me I've got it lubed? Sorry for long winded question but once I do this I'm dialed in lubing the cables.
Salute all!

·
Registered
297 Posts
I use a spray cable lube, but I cheet! How you ask? Well I unhook the cables at the upper ends (clitch & throttle) and while one person sprays lube down into cable housing I hold the shop vac to the lower end of the cable housing and use gravity and VACUUM to draw the lube into the cable. GENIS. You dont have to get a tight fit with the vacuum just hold vacuum and cable cupped in hand if you peek every once in a while you can tell when the lube has made it thru and makes very little mess. Like I said GENIS.

·
Registered
225 Posts
I use a product called "Cable Life". It can be purchased from Amazon along with an adapter to inject it into the cable housing.

[ame]http://www.amazon.com/CHAMPIONS-CHOICE-CABLE-LIFE-20006/dp/B000N5MVUO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1308791865&sr=8-1[/ame]

1 - 4 of 4 Posts