Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought an 07 500 that won't run last fall, and I'm finally getting around to working on it. As I take it apart, I'm reading the manual and getting familiar with how the bike works. I removed the fuel tank yesterday to drain the old gas and get to the spark plugs, and in the manual I just saw the Evaporative Emissions Control for CA models. I'm not sure where this bike originally came from (although I plan to do a VIN search to learn as much as I can), but I'm not sure I have the canister for this system. There are two hoses running out of the back of the fuel tank that seem to go nowhere, and looking at the diagram makes me think that's what they're for, but I can't tell where they're supposed to go. There's definitely no canister for them that I can see, unless it's part of the engine block or crankcase and I just can't spot it. Anyone have any ideas? I'm worried that, if I don't have this system set up right, I won't pass CA emissions. I live in Glendale, and I'd love any help with this. Can anyone tell me where to look for the canister or hookups? Photos, etc.? I'm learning as I go with this bike, and I'm trying to cover all my bases so I can get it running again. Thanks!

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have one on my bike in Florida. My mechanic didn't know what it was or that it even existed. Two lines, one from each side of the tank lower front corners run down next to the frame to below the air box at the swing arm area. 3 lines attach, never looked to see where the third one goes. I had gas leak from them due to age and cracking, only reason I knew they were there.

Find the manual pdf should be one in the forum somewhere. I can't post pictures, never figured it out. This is where I found mine. Save it old bikes need attention.

Diagram 2-22 shows it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the help. I've already downloaded the service manual, and I've pored over that diagram more than once today. I"d also already looked at that thread you posted - that guy did have the same questions I did, and I thought about doing what he did.

After further reading, though, I've begun to re-evaluate whether this bike was originally a CA model or not. I don't have the original owner's records or info, and I know he was in Long Beach, but the bike has a license plate frame from Texas on it. Plus, from other forums and info I've found online and in the manuals, it appears that all tanks are made this way - on a non-CA model, the two hoses are a breather/vent hose and an overfill drain hose, respectively. One allows for air to enter the gas tank (which is confusing to me, considering the petcock needs a vacuum to work, and a vent tube prevents a vacuum, but people smarter than me designed these things), and the other ensures that, if you overfill the tank at a gas station, the excess runs out.

NOW: according to the diagram and other info i've found, it appears that, on a CA model, these tubes DO go into the EVAP system, but they perform the same function, essentially. The separator cylinder keeps the liquid gas from going into the air cleaner routes the gas vapors into the charcoal box or back into the engine to be re-burned. I'm learning a lot today.

Regardless, I've found a used charcoal canister and separator on eBay, and I intend to convert the bike into a CA model, whether it ever was or not. I just want to ensure it meets CA emissions standards, and it results in a cleaner burning bike and a cleaner environment overall. I've got some other stuff to test on the bike tomorrow to see if I can get it started (still worried I'll have to pull the carbs, but hoping not), and hopefully this won't affect it. It doesn't appear that it should. We'll see.

Thanks again!

·
Registered
17 Posts
The overflow leaked a couple times after fills because the line was cracked. The fuel spills in the canister and the fumes go back to the carb so they don't get in the atmosphere.
I have a Yamaha xs that has two fuel petcocks that each have 2 lines to to them the vac from running opens them up to flow. It's a safety so if you dump the fuel doesn't. The carb vac opens the flow on one, but there's a cutoff in the bike so if it goes lower than the 60 degree the bike can get to, it shuts ignition and the bike. The other is prime/ always on and will empty the tank with a stuck float.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts