Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
New to me 2005 Vulcan 500, just under 1100 miles. I will need to get it in to have the carbs pulled and cleaned out real good to get it running right, but I've been tooling around in the neighborhood a bit. I've noticed after the bikes been running for a while, when I pull on the front brake lever, I can hear a buzzing sound. Doesn't seem to change with speed/engine RPM's, and doesn't matter how hard/soft I pull on the brake lever. The only thing I can think of that seems to fit what I'm hearing would be maybe a relay for the brake lights? Are there any other electronics involved in the braking system?

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
New to me 2005 Vulcan 500, just under 1100 miles. I will need to get it in to have the carbs pulled and cleaned out real good to get it running right, but I've been tooling around in the neighborhood a bit. I've noticed after the bikes been running for a while, when I pull on the front brake lever, I can hear a buzzing sound. Doesn't seem to change with speed/engine RPM's, and doesn't matter how hard/soft I pull on the brake lever. The only thing I can think of that seems to fit what I'm hearing would be maybe a relay for the brake lights? Are there any other electronics involved in the braking system?
Nope.......Just the switch at the lever that activates the brake light. :)

·
Registered
56 Posts
Are you sure it's not speed dependent? I have the same thing with my front brake, it only went away when I had to change the brake pads. Mine sounds like bees buzzing.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I've noticed it when I first got the bike. Sounds like a high pitched buzzing noise while the brake light is on. I don't think that it's an issue though.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It does it when bike sitting still?

It may not be wise to dismiss the issue.
I only notice the buzzing when the bike is moving. If I start it up and pull on the brake lever at a stop, no buzzing. I would say that it gets a bit louder the harder I pull on the brakes.

>Mike

·
Registered
11,756 Posts
OK, the terminology might be hanging us up here.

Is it a buzzing, like the sound of a bee, or is it a screeching like brakes do when they are worn out?

·
Registered
2,149 Posts
I believe that the 'buzzing' noise is the rotor vent holes contacting the brake pads. If so this is nothing to worry about. Since I keep ear plugs in these days I don't hear it anymore. :)

·
Registered
318 Posts
I think it's the pads contacting the rotors too. My '09 900 custom didn't do this until a got new pads, so it was a new noise and freaked me out. According to some things I've read, it can be more or less noticeable depending on exactly what type and material the pads are made of. I bought the best pads I could get, according to customer reviews (hey, some things ya just don't skimp on). And yes, mine does get slightly louder the harder you pull the brake lever. That's because the pads are squeezing the rotor harder. I'd be willing to wager that if you pay very close attention, the sound changes with speed too. Mine did, but at first I thought it didn't. I had to think about all the other noises it was competing with: wind, engine, tires...

If this is only happening when the bike is moving, I'd wager that's what it is. If it's a bad light relay making the noise, it'd presumably happen while the bike is sitting still too.

Mine give off a very soft hum at low speeds even when I'm not touching the brake lever.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
It's definitely an electronic sounding buzz, nothing like what I'd expect to hear from pads rubbing on rotors. The bike is pretty much put away for the winter now, so it'll have to wait for spring.

·
Registered
318 Posts
I feel bad for the fellas that have to put their rides away for the winter :'(
Round here, we can still ride, just not quite as much. Even in January, there's usually a day or two per week that's good for riding. One of the many reasons I love the South.

Sent from my Nexus 6P using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1 Posts
hey did you ever figure out what the humming sounds was I just bought a bike same issue need help solving it driving me crazy it's only when I push the front brakes at a slow speed it's not the brake pads sounds electrical

·
Registered
2009 Vulcan 500
23 Posts
My 2009 makes the same noise.. it's the pattern of the holes causing it.

Sent from my LM-Q710.FG using Tapatalk

1 - 17 of 17 Posts