Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buying used and am looking at three bikes. Need some help deciding. All are Nomad 1600s

Bike 1: Two tone blue and silver. 25k miles. Has light bar, luggage rack, racks on the the hard bags, stock exhaust with no name slipons, looks the best physical condition. $4500

Bike 2: two tone red and silver. 29k miles.
Modified with Thunder 95 Hi Performance kit (ported, bored, cams, Dyno-Jet power commander ign). HD Barnett clutch spring, Vance & Hines exhaust. Corbin seat. The pipes have bluing and goldish coloring and have plastic melted on them. $4500

Bike 3: two tone black and gold. 50k miles. pretty much stock with luggage rack added. It a 2007 for $3500

Third bike is up there just for the price really but is my least favorite. So it's really between the first two

1st one looks a more well kept and the sellers are really open about everything. But is 3hrs away and has stock exhaust.

2nd one has a lot of upgrades but don't know if I need all the performance stuff he added and based off the looks of the pipes I am worried all those mods are making it run really hot and it gets about 7-10mpg less because of them. I don't like the look of the Corbin seat but maybe that will change after I sit on it. Don't mind tge stock seat though from one's I have ridden. This one is only an hour away.

Should I worry about all the mods to the second one or should I be seeing that as a great upgrade bonus? Tires on all are in good shape. Here are pics of all three. Thoughts????

·
Super Moderator
4,550 Posts
Welcome to the forum from North Carolina. Glad you decided to join us. First off I am going to move your post to the 1600 Model Section so other members who have this model will contribute their opinions. You don’t mention the years of the bikes. Use www.kbb.com and check values. The Private Party value is in between the Trade In and the Typical Listing Price. Also get the vin numbers and do some checks. Below is a Google search for free vin checks. Added a Goggle search for how to buy a used motorcycle for some research. The more you know the better deal you will get and prevent buyer remorse.

Definitely the first bike gets my vote. Low miles, looks well kept, and lowest mileage. Mileage is the one main thing that determines a bikes worth. Is also has a good deal of accessories. Accessories do not raise the bikes value a lot. Just a couple of hundred.

The second bike has been driven hard. Just the fact that the owner wanted those type of modifications states that. Pass.

The third bike looses in this group just because of the mileage. Not saying it is a bad bike, just not the most desirable of the three. Pass.

So what that the first bike is three hours away. Rent a 10 foot Uhaul trailer and go get it. Buy some straps at Walmart. Make sure the trailer has the front indentation for the front tire to go in.

Any additional questions, post back, we will be happy to help you.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks for the response and links. The first bike is a 2008 the other two are 2007. I have been trying to find a website that checks motorcycle vins so thanks again for that.

I had the same thoughts about the second one but didn't want to pass up some good mods if they were worth it.

Hesitation with the drive was I just drove 3.5 hrs last week to get one and didn't realize all his photos on line were just of one side and angled for the front and back which hid the fact the bike had been dropped hard before on the other side. He neglected to disclose that as well the couple times we talked including when I asked if the bike had been dropped. Needless to say I was quite upset.

The first bike already agreed to a video call walk around before I drive down there so shouldn't have that issue again.

·
Registered
2008 Vulcan 900
60 Posts
Thanks for the response and links. The first bike is a 2008 the other two are 2007. I have been trying to find a website that checks motorcycle vins so thanks again for that.

I had the same thoughts about the second one but didn't want to pass up some good mods if they were worth it.

Hesitation with the drive was I just drove 3.5 hrs last week to get one and didn't realize all his photos on line were just of one side and angled for the front and back which hid the fact the bike had been dropped hard before on the other side. He neglected to disclose that as well the couple times we talked including when I asked if the bike had been dropped. Needless to say I was quite upset.

The first bike already agreed to a video call walk around before I drive down there so shouldn't have that issue again.
That is always frustrating. Had someone on Craigslist try to slick me a cracked guitar awhile back. They got super defensive and even yelled at me when I pointed it out. Definitely do your research and make sure you know what you’re getting. Too many damn con men out there. I hope you find what you’re looking for!!!

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
While the second one is the prettiest (see my avatar pic...lol), I agree that bike number one would get my vote. They have decent power stock and I find the stock seat more than adequate. Of course, I'm coming from a Vstar so any other seat would feel like a soft pillow compared to that one...lol. Mine is stock except for the exhaust and I love it.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Too bad you can't find an all black one. ;) Kidding. I would join in and say that the first one looks best based on available info. I had to drive almost two hours each way to get mine back in March. Now that couple hour drive is just a good evening out riding. Renting a motorcycle trailer from UHaul is easy and safe. Plus, if it ends up with a bad tire (like mine did) or something, you won't find out on your nervous first ride all the way home. From what I understand, 22,000 is nothing on one of these if it has been taken care of. Good luck, and hopefully we'll see you in the 1600 club soon.

·
Registered
2012 Nomad
866 Posts
I drove 8 hours one way to get my Nomad. (And it was uphill both ways) ;)
I don't regret it at all. If it is the bike you want, go for it.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I drove 8 hours one way to get my Nomad. (And it was uphill both ways) ;)
I don't regret it at all. If it is the bike you want, go for it.
8 hours? beat me . . .mine was a 3½ drive into a different language area . . . well worth it. while I too like the colour of bike #2 ;) I'd go with the first one (actually, I had first looked at one that colour and was going to grab it but someone with cash in hand beat me for a test drive, so I lost out -- but am more than happy with what I have).

forget the mods, go with the better shape.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Too bad you can't find an all black one. ;) Kidding. I would join in and say that the first one looks best based on available info. I had to drive almost two hours each way to get mine back in March. Now that couple hour drive is just a good evening out riding. Renting a motorcycle trailer from UHaul is easy and safe. Plus, if it ends up with a bad tire (like mine did) or something, you won't find out on your nervous first ride all the way home. From what I understand, 22,000 is nothing on one of these if it has been taken care of. Good luck, and hopefully we'll see you in the 1600 club soon.

My first choice was a black on which I drove 3.5 hrs for the week prior to find the guy lied and had dropped it hard on the one side.

·
Registered
203 Posts
I agree with all the previous replies - number one is the ’pick of the litter’. When I bought my Nomad (also an ‘08’ model). It was at an interstate dealer over 1000 km away. They were a reputable HD agent and the bike had been a trade in. I requested additional photos which they happily provided and the final deal included a new rear tyre and transport fo my front door. The bike was fine and went well for the 4 years I had it. Basically trust your gut and you will be fine 😊

·
Registered
2007 Kawasaki Vulcan 1600 Nomad
64 Posts
From your description alone, I would pick the second one because of all the performance add-ons for the same price. But after looking at the pictures, the first and third bikes both look better maintained. I would go with the blue one first, black the second option, and red only if the other two sales fail (or your run across another deal besides these 3). Still test ride before making a final decision.

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
I drove 4 hours to look at my current ride, and it rode the 4 hours back home with me. Well worth the trip.

·
Registered
617 Posts
It is not how far you have to ride to pick it up, it's how far you can ride trouble-free after you pick it up :cool: It sounds like number one sellers are more honest. I worry about the mods that we have no idea how successful they are. The 1600 engine has above-average performance in stock condition. (I have a 1600 Meanstreak) with 57000 miles without major problems. Last year I did replace the fork seals and improved the suspension with progressive fork springs and rear shocks. I vote for #3.Good luck and ride safe.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Update. Went with the blue one and was able to talk him down to $4k. The light bar was not working when I got there and a little more rust (superficial) than was disclosed. Got it home took a couple hours and she cleaned up real nice and I just cleaned the connectors to the switch on the lightbars and they work fine now. Very happy with the bike. Had it out yesterday for a ride and took it to work today. Pics to follow. Thanks for your comments, it made me feel a lot better about my decision.

·
Registered
2006 Vulcan 900
35 Posts
(Edit: just had you post the moment after I posted this...)
My father's 1500 nomad has a bunch of those after market options you've listed, he loves the sound, the feel, the power, but as you said, the gas is something you need to manage. Go with your gut, it will always serve you best. If you're unsure of something, then it can always be changed at a later date; and you will not be sorry for spending on something you weren't confident on.
I think the red looks really nice, but the blue sounds the best!

·
Super Moderator
1,002 Posts
Congrats on your new (to you) Nomad. I fell in love with mine when I went to look at it and hearing those Vance and Hines pipes sealed the deal. This will be my third summer on it and it will pass 100,000 km in a week or two (62,000 miles). It still looks and works great and if it ever does wear out I want another one...lol.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Buying used and am looking at three bikes. Need some help deciding. All are Nomad 1600s

Bike 1: Two tone blue and silver. 25k miles. Has light bar, luggage rack, racks on the the hard bags, stock exhaust with no name slipons, looks the best physical condition. $4500

Modified with Thunder 95 Hi Performance kit (ported, bored, cams, Dyno-Jet power commander ign). HD Barnett clutch spring, Vance & Hines exhaust. Corbin seat. The pipes have bluing and goldish coloring and have plastic melted on them. $4500

Bike 3: two tone black and gold. 50k miles. pretty much stock with luggage rack added. It a 2007 for $3500

Third bike is up there just for the price really but is my least favorite. So it's really between the first two

1st one looks a more well kept and the sellers are really open about everything. But is 3hrs away and has stock exhaust.

2nd one has a lot of upgrades but don't know if I need all the performance stuff he added and based off the looks of the pipes I am worried all those mods are making it run really hot and it gets about 7-10mpg less because of them. I don't like the look of the Corbin seat but maybe that will change after I sit on it. Don't mind tge stock seat though from one's I have ridden. This one is only an hour away.

Should I worry about all the mods to the second one or should I be seeing that as a great upgrade bonus? Tires on all are in good shape. Here are pics of all three. Thoughts???? View attachment 249850
View attachment 249851 View attachment 249852

Should I worry about all the mods to the second one or should I be seeing that as a great upgrade bonus? Tires on all are in good shape. Here are pics of all three. Thoughts???? View attachment 249850
View attachment 249851 View attachment 249852
Bike 1 “looks to be in the best condition” you said. I’d go with that. If you upgrade the pipes you’ll upgrade the intake also at some point. Maybe bike 2 has those upgrades because he wanted a different sound, not because he was going to the drag strip. I’d go with the best condition. You can add mods easier than you can overcome bad condition.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Congrats on your new (to you) Nomad. I fell in love with mine when I went to look at it and hearing those Vance and Hines pipes sealed the deal. This will be my third summer on it and it will pass 100,000 km in a week or two (62,000 miles). It still looks and works great and if it ever does wear out I want another one...lol.

Yeah I def liked the sound of the vance and hines pipes on one of the others I looked at. Def an upgrade that I will be doing shortly. The stock pipes aren't horrible but def not the same.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Yeah I def liked the sound of the vance and hines pipes on one of the others I looked at. Def an upgrade that I will be doing shortly. The stock pipes aren't horrible but def not the same.
Vance and Hines dual bagged pipes, barons. If air kit, and synthetic power commander. Will improve performance not to the point of making it a race bike but sound better and run better. If you can find an archive of gadget’s fix it page it was a great website for everything Vulcan woth a tom of how to info. Good luck!

1 - 20 of 22 Posts