Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi folks,

So I'm new to biking and after some research the Vulcan 650 S seems to be everything I'm looking for in that it is newbie friendly and I really like the style.

I'm 5"6' so I imagine I'll be looking for the reduced reach configuration. I am also interested in the touring version with the rear seat, saddle bags and high screen.

My question is this: since I am unlikely to find a machine nearby ticking all these boxes, which should I prioritise, the extras or the Ergo Fit? I.e. would it be easier/cheaper to sort the Ergo Fit configuration or the extras afterwards? And of the extras (rear seat, bags, screen) which are harder to obtain and/or more expensive?

Thanks in advance all!

·
Registered
126 Posts
Im sure there are riders your height on here that cancomment on their setuos. The ergo fit control components are pretty cheap. The seat is fhe only expensive part (if needed). The factory seats are terrible so if you need to change the seat probably better off going aftermarket anyway. Handlebars are maybe $100.

Rear seat and footpegs are about $175. Saddlebags depends on what you get but viking bags start around $160. Windscreens are $150-300.

You'll probably spend more setting up for touring, but you'd also have the most opportunity for personal preference there.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Im sure there are riders your height on here that cancomment on their setuos. The ergo fit control components are pretty cheap. The seat is fhe only expensive part (if needed). The factory seats are terrible so if you need to change the seat probably better off going aftermarket anyway. Handlebars are maybe $100.

Rear seat and footpegs are about $175. Saddlebags depends on what you get but viking bags start around $160. Windscreens are $150-300.

You'll probably spend more setting up for touring, but you'd also have the most opportunity for personal preference there.

Sent from my SM-G960U1 using Tapatalk
Thanks for this. I was just having a look at some after market stuff here in France and you're right - I think it won't be a big deal getting the setup I want

·
Registered
139 Posts
In buying a used bike you're more likely to find one with extras rather than the reduced reach components simply because people don't tend to buy those to reconfigure fit unless they're really into the bike. Most buy and ride it like it is, many probably don't even realize those items are available as options as this is truly one of the few Japanese bike models that makes those things available in a smaller or midsize model. Typically you only find that level of "fit" accessories for the larger higher end models.
As for price, as I recall the ergo items aren't that inexpensive as compared to other accessory items like bags and shields so price wise you're looking at an equal outlay to go either way.
Shields should be easy, I'm a fan of Memphis Shades and they should make mounting brackets for this model. As for bags you need to decide how you want to go, hard bags or soft, permanently mounted, quickly detachable or throw over. I've done all three and depending on the bike or the particular brand of bag all are workable. I used a set of Cortech throw over sport bike soft bags for years and loved them for convenience on a trip. Could fit my shaving kit, a weeks worth of riding clothes (typically an extra pair of jeans, a 3 to 4 "T's", underwear and socks because you can wash clothes most anywhere) a .75 L bottle of whiskey and a real glass to drink it from. Easy off when I got to my destination and carry into my room.
For daily stuff I prefer either a trunk, tailbag or rear seat bag to carry things that I will keep on bike all the time like rain gear or more.

Reactions: Tourer

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
In buying a used bike you're more likely to find one with extras rather than the reduced reach components simply because people don't tend to buy those to reconfigure fit unless they're really into the bike. Most buy and ride it like it is, many probably don't even realize those items are available as options as this is truly one of the few Japanese bike models that makes those things available in a smaller or midsize model. Typically you only find that level of "fit" accessories for the larger higher end models.
As for price, as I recall the ergo items aren't that inexpensive as compared to other accessory items like bags and shields so price wise you're looking at an equal outlay to go either way.
Shields should be easy, I'm a fan of Memphis Shades and they should make mounting brackets for this model. As for bags you need to decide how you want to go, hard bags or soft, permanently mounted, quickly detachable or throw over. I've done all three and depending on the bike or the particular brand of bag all are workable. I used a set of Cortech throw over sport bike soft bags for years and loved them for convenience on a trip. Could fit my shaving kit, a weeks worth of riding clothes (typically an extra pair of jeans, a 3 to 4 "T's", underwear and socks because you can wash clothes most anywhere) a .75 L bottle of whiskey and a real glass to drink it from. Easy off when I got to my destination and carry into my room.
For daily stuff I prefer either a trunk, tailbag or rear seat bag to carry things that I will keep on bike all the time like rain gear or more.
Thanks for the detailed and very helpful response, I really appreciate it! I particularly enjoyed the considerations for the bottle of whiskey :)

For some reason, your post now makes me want to do a road trip in the USA. I've visited many times in the past... but never on two wheels!

Thanks again

·
Registered
139 Posts
In choosing luggage, to me there are only two real choices, hardbags which are water tight or throwover fabric type with rain covers. The typical "Cruiser" type flap top leather bags are typically not water tight and everything you put in them to tour with you'll need to put in zip lock or other water proof covers or run the risk of them getting wet in a downpour. Nothing worse than a long ride in the wet to get to your room and all your clothes for the next day are wet as well.
I've seen to many buy them for the sake of a "Classic" look only to have them end up moldy and nasty inside.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
In choosing luggage, to me there are only two real choices, hardbags which are water tight or throwover fabric type with rain covers. The typical "Cruiser" type flap top leather bags are typically not water tight and everything you put in them to tour with you'll need to put in zip lock or other water proof covers or run the risk of them getting wet in a downpour. Nothing worse than a long ride in the wet to get to your room and all your clothes for the next day are wet as well.
I've seen to many buy them for the sake of a "Classic" look only to have them end up moldy and nasty inside.
That is some pretty solid advice - thanks a million!

·
Registered
139 Posts
Since you're in Europe I've always been impressed with the Givi line of equipment. They offer brackets for the model to accept their line of cases. The stuff is pricey though.

I've used some good quality Japanese stuff, Tsukayu and more recently some Pakistani made products sold here in the US under the Viking brand name and have been impressed with both. They are pretty much "universal" fit, you buy the bags with the brackets which come with a variety of bolts and you have to fit/ align, drill holes etc. A clever lad can make good work of them. I've included a couple pics of a Kaw 1600 Meanstreak I bought for my wife on which I first had one set of Viking bags which I had to remove and replace with larger ones, both sets in pic, and I ended up putting the smaller bags on my V-rod also pictured. The bags are fiberglass, lined inside with keyed locks and sealed lids.
IMG_20201107_162318142_HDR.jpg
IMG_20201025_113534188.jpg

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
355 Posts
My wife is 5'6 and the KVS is set at standard mid reach in all areas and she finds it fits her comfortably all around.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Since you're in Europe I've always been impressed with the Givi line of equipment. They offer brackets for the model to accept their line of cases. The stuff is pricey though.

I've used some good quality Japanese stuff, Tsukayu and more recently some Pakistani made products sold here in the US under the Viking brand name and have been impressed with both. They are pretty much "universal" fit, you buy the bags with the brackets which come with a variety of bolts and you have to fit/ align, drill holes etc. A clever lad can make good work of them. I've included a couple pics of a Kaw 1600 Meanstreak I bought for my wife on which I first had one set of Viking bags which I had to remove and replace with larger ones, both sets in pic, and I ended up putting the smaller bags on my V-rod also pictured. The bags are fiberglass, lined inside with keyed locks and sealed lids.
Nice machines! I've a much better sense regarding what's at play and realise that this part is going to be half the fun over time :)

·
Registered
2020 Kawasaki Vulcan S, 2020 Kawasaki Z900
355 Posts
Yes, the seat height is only like 26" so she has no issue there, me at 5'9 have plenty of room to spare too

1 - 13 of 13 Posts