Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am heading out of town tomorrow to look at an 08 900 Custom. It is a 1 owner bike with 11,000 KM on the odo. What if anything should I look for. The owner of the bike claims all work is up to date etc. It turns out that they lent their friend some money and he gave them the bike as security unfortunately for him he has not been able to pay them and they are selling it. The price is too good to pass up - I have sold my 500 and I only need to kick in another$500 to buy it.

Any advice from 900 owners would be appreciated.

Cheers

·
Registered
702 Posts
If I'm not mistaken the 2006 model is known for having issues with the stator crapping out around the 10,000 mile mark. Maybe I'm wrong, I'm sure someone will chime in.

·
Registered
125 Posts
Well, it doesn't have a lot of miles on it. At the right price I wouldn't even worry if I did end up replacing the stator. Personally, if it looks like it was well maintained and if it functions properly I would buy it. There isn't much to go wrong if it hasn't been abused or neglected.

·
Registered
673 Posts
I am heading out of town tomorrow to look at an 08 900 Custom. It is a 1 owner bike with 11,000 KM on the odo. What if anything should I look for. The owner of the bike claims all work is up to date etc. It turns out that they lent their friend some money and he gave them the bike as security unfortunately for him he has not been able to pay them and they are selling it. The price is too good to pass up - I have sold my 500 and I only need to kick in another$500 to buy it.

Any advice from 900 owners would be appreciated.

Cheers
If you can write down the vin number take it to a dealer or two and have them run the numbers for any recalls.

·
Registered
14 Posts
At the risk of stating the obvious: 1. make sure the seller has a clean title, 2. Ask for proof that all work is up to date (shop invoices, parts invoices if the claim is that the previous owner did own maintenance), 3. look for any signs of excessive wear (tires, weeping fork seals or other fluid residue, unusual discoloration, brake pads), 4. verify smooth operation of all controls, lights, signals, 5. etc., etc, etc

If you're not confident to assess condition/functionality pay $100 and have it evaluated at a shop before purchase.

Good luck.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I love my 07 Custom, I needed to put a set of risers on the handlebars to make it fit me just right.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Found a bike spent the day driving 300 km, saw 3 bikes, 1 disaster, 1 that was too loud and too chromed up. Ended up with a nice pure stock 07 Blue Custom - needs to have the throttle cables replaced other wise perfect......road it for a bit nice and easy and much smoother than my 500. Get it on Wednesday already ordering the few mods I need....maybe a Mephis Bullet fairing...I feel like a kid :)

I will post better pics once it is home and I am working on it.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,349 Posts
99 percent of the people on here love their 900s. You wont find much negative about them here. I love mine, I wont say anything negative either. Only thing I'd be careful about isn't the bike, but getting the clear title. This collateral, giving up the bike because the "friend" can't pay them back might end up a nightmare. Make sure the original owner doesn't owe money on the bike. Make sure he's signed it over, or will wthout issue. I know this is obvious, don't mean to insult your intelligence, just be careful. The bike wont be the problem. The people might be. Good luck.

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
99 percent of the people on here love their 900s. You wont find much negative about them here. I love mine, just be careful. The bike wont be the problem. The people might be. Good luck.
You have not insulted me. I have purchased and sold a number of used vehicles over the years. Good thing is the Ont government keeps good track of leans. As it turns out I didn't buy the 900 I was originally looking at. I found the one in the pic here in Toronto. The bike has some cosmetic issues and needs a new set of throttle cables. It is stock which is what I really wanted now I can make it my own bike. The seller purchased it new from the same dealer here that I got my 500 from. Good thing is I have a friend who is a licensed auto dealer and he checked the VIN for liens and the MC shop checked for any recalls.....all is good. Wednesday I am the proud owner of a 900 Custom :)

1 - 14 of 14 Posts