Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all,

Im in contact with a seller about purchasing his '95 VN750 with 18k miles on it. The guy claims he has done oil changes every 2k miles with valvoline extended life oil, and the only thing thats wrong with it is that it needs a choke cable installed (however the choke can be adjusted via a lever near the engine). He's asking $1300, but everything else appears to be in pristine condition. I don't know much about these kinds of bikes, but does this sound like a fair deal? Do these 750's have any consistent issues I should be worried about? Thanks for the help! :smile2:

·
Registered
918 Posts
Hey all,

Im in contact with a seller about purchasing his '95 VN750 with 18k miles on it. The guy claims he has done oil changes every 2k miles with valvoline extended life oil, and the only thing thats wrong with it is that it needs a choke cable installed (however the choke can be adjusted via a lever near the engine). He's asking $1300, but everything else appears to be in pristine condition. I don't know much about these kinds of bikes, but does this sound like a fair deal? Do these 750's have any consistent issues I should be worried about? Thanks for the help! :smile2:
The 750's are pretty solid bikes if properly maintained. You're biggest draw back on getting a bike that is no longer in production is finding new replacement parts. Also, as time goes by, finding good used parts will get harder and harder. There isn't much in the way of aftermarket. You're left to your own creativity there. The engine can be modified to an extent. It's mainly opening up the carbs and replacing stock air boxes with better flowing pods.

I won't say if that price is a deal or not. I've been able to obtain 750's used from a dealer for about $2500 and they were early 2000 models with low miles. Although one had a leaky gas tank which was a pain. Anyways, if it were me, I'd try to find something newer. IF you're wanting something cheap and fun to ride, try finding a KLR650. They offer more room, they have a cult following and tons of mods and aftermarket support. Only down side is lack of power from the single cylinder engine. But the bike is fun regardless.

Hope this helps!

Cons:
* Drive shaft. There was a quality control issue on certain years where the rear-end didn't get greased from factory. For some reason, this wasn't addressed in a TSB, so most shops didn't know. This ultimately leads to spline failures and an expensive repair (about a grand to replace rear-end new).

* Internal engine balancers. These engines have rubber balancers which fall apart after x number of years resulting in nasty vibrations. If you can't see out of the mirrors while riding, best get those replaced.

* Stator. Entire engine must be removed or propped a certain way to stay in frame. Kawasaki built the frame in front of stator, making replacement a huge chore.

* Dual carbs. Not necessarily a bad thing. However, they will need periodic balancing to maintain a level of engine smoothness.\

* Not big guy friendly, especially in the legs. The foot controls are pretty close. The bike isn't stretched out. So it sits tall.

Pros:
* Self-adjusting lifters. These engine use hydraulic lifters; so, no valve adjustments needed.

* Shaft-driven. Virtually maintenance free (HAH!). Does need periodic fluid change.

* Sporty for a cruiser. These bikes were to dominate the HD 800 Sportsters. A well running 750 easily has more HP than an 800. The 750's also have really good acceleration compared to other cruisers.

* It's nostaligic. Kaw built the 750 beginning in the late 70's early 80's and barely changed when they quit making them in 2006.

·
Registered
61 Posts
yes vn750.com has a ton of info and better response time then here

Sent from my LGL34C using Tapatalk

1 - 6 of 6 Posts