Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok well Im going tomorrow to purchase a 09 900 custom special edition from a local individual. The bike has 15k miles on it and a couple of small scuffs here and there but nothing major. This will be my first bike purchase so is there anything outside the obvious that I need to check out? And is 15,000 miles considered alot of miles on a 900?

Also Ive been talking to a couple of guys from work and they swear up and down that If I want to do any long distance traveling then I need something 1100 or bigger to be comfortable? Is there any truth to this? I love the way the blacked out SE looks so Im hoping thats not the case.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
And is 15,000 miles considered alot of miles on a 900?
there is a guy on here who has over 150,000 on his 08 / 09 vulcan ....15000 means its just broken in ... check the usual suspects .... dirty oil, find out when the fluids were changed last. Look for drops ... ground mirrors, pegs, bar ends, scratched pipes etc.

if you do buy it ... have all the fluids changed, the bike serviced and have them give it a end to end check while its in there. This will allow for you to create your own service base line. Good luck on your purchase., scuffs don't always mean abuse ... it could mean clumsy friends.

Also Ive been talking to a couple of guys from work and they swear up and down that If I want to do any long distance traveling then I need something 1100 or bigger to be comfortable? Is there any truth to this? I love the way the blacked out SE looks so Im hoping thats not the case.
Tell them their full of it .... i have 2 trips, each over 5500 miles each, one 2 up towing my trailer, the other solo with my trailer. 14,000 ft up and a high of 120 F temps with no issues.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
check the usual suspects .... dirty oil, find out when the fluids were changed last. Look for drops ... ground mirrors, pegs, bar ends, scratched pipes etc.
I drove it a couple days ago and everything felt solid. The scuffs Im refering to are like where the bags rubbed, where his boot rubber, and things like that. You mentioned scratched pipes though and it did apear to have a scratch. It didnt appear like it was a scratch from being dropped but I dont know what it could have been. Ill ask him tomorrow. Heres a picture of it and you can kinda see the scratch Im talking about.

Attachments

·
Registered
36 Posts
there is a guy on here who has over 150,000 on his 08 / 09 vulcan ....15000 means its just broken in ... check the usual suspects .... dirty oil, find out when the fluids were changed last. Look for drops ... ground mirrors, pegs, bar ends, scratched pipes etc.

if you do buy it ... have all the fluids changed, the bike serviced and have them give it a end to end check while its in there. This will allow for you to create your own service base line. Good luck on your purchase., scuffs don't always mean abuse ... it could mean clumsy friends.

Tell them their full of it .... i have 2 trips, each over 5500 miles each, one 2 up towing my trailer, the other solo with my trailer. 14,000 ft up and a high of 120 F temps with no issues.
Listen to this guy. The vn900 is a great bike period. I could use a little lower revs at high speed, but I hold my own with the club I ride with and 90% of them ride large cc harleys.

·
Registered
950 Posts
Like Whiting57 stated, the guys from work are full of crap. Just did 1700 miles (2 up) with my son. The only problem was the 100 F plus heat. The bike itself was quite nice. Easy to do 70 mph, hour after hour, comfortably. Just for reference, I have over 20K on my 09. It seems the previous owner actually rode his bike. Lots of folks buy them and let them sit in the garage. For what it's worth, looks like a very nice ride!

·
Registered
183 Posts
Agreed. It's a good bike man. I've been very satisfied with mine. Hope you enjoy it man.

·
Registered
111 Posts
Buy the bike and enjoy one of the best bikes for the money. I have had my Custom for three years now and still think it was a good buy. It will do most anything you want and do it well. So if you like buy it and enjoy. Let the good times roll.

·
Registered
31 Posts
To me that scratch looks like something was dragged along side the bike. It doesn't look like the bike was laid down.
I like my 900 SE. I have the matte black paint job. It's a decent ride. Your engine will be revving a little high at highway speeds but the bike can handle it. I had mine cruising along at 90 mph in texas summer heat for well over 100 miles.
And I hope 15,000 isn't much, at my current rate I'm putting on that much each year.

·
Registered
140 Posts
you didn't post price but if you are happy with what you are buying it for you will be happy with the bike itself. Myself an ex GPZ550 and 750, Ninja x2, and ST1100 (my only Honda but awesome bike) can tell you I just got an 06 with less than 2k miles for a great price and love the bike already. Two up with me and the wife, no issues.... great bike IMO. Buy it and Ride it!

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
With 15k miles it's due for a valve clearance inspection. Ask the owner if it's been done, if not, consider doing it soon along with all fluids.

On the touring? I take mine all over the place. Bigger bikes might handle it smoother/a little better, but it's not that they CAN'T do it. Displacement means nothing, there is a lot more to the equation. An idea that "1100 or bigger" is automatically a comfortable long distance ride is hogwash. I'd much rather ride my 900 across the country than a full-forward tank-hugging 1300cc superbike, or an old 1100cc standard with little or no suspension! Not that both of those bikes wouldn't be awesome in their own rights, but won't tour as comfortably (for me) than my 900.

That said, a 1700 or for that matter, a Goldwing would be MORE comfortable, but that doesn't mean my 900 can't handle it!

The shortcoming your 900 will have with long-distance riding are:

Fairly high RPM's on the highway, the buzziness annoys some people, there are also some vibrations (neither of which bother me, and I don't think it vibrates more than some other much bigger bikes I've ridden, it just sounds 'buzzy')
The suspension in the rear is a simple mono shock, it's adequate, but it's not as 'cadillac like' as say, a dual-shock air suspension
Lack of creature comforts like cruise control, ABS, or a beefy enough electrical system for lots of accessories

That doesn't mean it CAN'T however. My wife and I love long touring on our bike. We've done several 500 mile one-day trips, a multi-thousand mile week long trip, you name it. And we don't have a nice fairing or hard bags like some of these other guys do on theirs!

It's up to you to determine what you want out of a bike! The bigger touring bikes will be a bit more comfortable on the highway but less nimble in town, they cost more, they'll burn some more fuel, and be less friendly to you if you are new, or returning after a long break of riding.

Love mine! Good luck!

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
the scratches look like some thing was scraped along side the bike ... like a buggy or bicycle or alike ... a cheap fix is wood stove paint ... its a flat finish, the hotter the pipe, the better it bonds .... of course you should try it on a small area where you wont see first to see it you like it before doing the whole pipe. (btw ... i did this on a sport bike 4 into 1 pipe that was matt black with good results.)

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Thanks for all the replies. I looked it over real good and the bike is super clean. The top of the tank looks likes its fading slightly but Im sure I can wax and buff it up real nice. I ended up paying 4K$ for it so I feel like I got a fairly good deal. I ask him about the scratch and he said he went into walmart one day and came back out to it. So probly a buggy or maybe even a car grazed it trying to park? :confused::confused: Im loving it so far. I got it out on the highway and found it to not be bad at all at around 75-80. I did get some lite vibrations but it wasnt to bad. I can deal with it. Well what do you guys think? Was it worth what I paid?

·
Registered
1,159 Posts
$4k for that bike sounds pretty good. The exhaust thing isn't too bad. If it bothers you that much (like it would me) it's not hard to find a replacement set on ebay or craigslist.

Congrats on the purchase. I'm sure you'll love it. Check out the Rides section for a 1400 mile trip I did on mine in May, and I have more in the planning stages for later this year.

·
Registered
7,620 Posts
If you want a replacement set just post on the 'wanted' section here. Lots of guys have a dusty set in their attic from when they switched the aftermarket!

Better yet, take the money you saved and buy a nice sounding aftermarket set!

Some realllly good polishing of the entire set of pipes with really high grade sandpaper MIGHT buff the scratches out, but, more than likely just dull the whole set.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Well I got it inspected, registered, and plates on it today and still had about an hour to cruise around before work. Im loving it so far. As of right now I feal I got my moneys worth easy. Next couple days off Im gonna change all the fluids and give her a good wash and wax find a way to fix that scratch on the exhaust. Thanks guys for the information.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts