Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here's one for ya. I went to use my debit card the other day and it was declined. I couldn't believe it so I tried three more times-even tried to run it through as credit with no success. I called my bank as soon as they opened the next morning to see why my card would not work and found out someone had got my card number and it had been hacked. Thank God my bank caught it in time. I used it for purchases in Charleston and Marshall, Illinois and someone else was using it in Missouri at the same time. In fact FIVE times. The only thing out of the ordinary that I have done with my card was order the 12 o'clock labs speedometer fixer which I have commented about on this site. I could not get a phone number for them so I had to enter all my card info online, which is something I never do, and for this very reason.I don't trust any of these sites and here is a good reason why. I don't know if Motomummy was at fault or if my order was hacked in transit or what the Hell happened. Take some friendly advice, DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING ONLINE AND USE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO PURCHASE AN ITEM-EVER!!!! If you can't get a phone number so you can call them and purchase your item over the phone, then buy somewhere else. Either that or call your bank and tell them to watch for unusual purchases and HOPE they catch it in time! Believe me it is not worth the hassle you have to go through once this happens, not to mention the embarresment when your card fails in a hometown store where everyone knows you.

·
Registered
361 Posts
Firstly, sorry to hear that Emery. It really makes ya angry eh, even more so cos ya don't who to be angry at.

Secondly, did ya tell motomummy about it? Reason being, when we got fleeced i notified the companies we regularly dealt with to inform them what happened. All were appreciative for the heads up and carried out their own checks to ensure their security was not compromised. Keeping them in the loop, keeps us protected in the end too.

So Yep we've been stung too. We now use paypal and a debit card now for online purchases.

Btw it's not just sites that can steal ya info there is a myriad of vile software that can glean info straight from your own pc. Always pays to run decent virus protection that is routinely updated.

Since being fleeced (four years ago) we had our PC cleaned up and issues sorted since we could not figure out how our details got stolen. We also opted to pay for a subscription virus protection from a reputable company(US based) that covers all devices and email as opposed to the free online stuff.

Since having it we never had any issues and our PC has runs like clockwork. The system reports when issues are blocked and provides a full monthly report and tips, very cool and very satisfied.

The debit card. After being stung our bank recommended a debit card to use. These are backed by the major credit card companies. Basically means we can use as a credit card but means it will not go into overdraft/credit. When we pay our bills or buy something online we only put on the debit card how much things will cost.

So, we work out how much funds are needed, transfer to debit card, pay for the items immediately(critical part, MUST be done immediately) debit funds are used to pay for products, balance on card goes to zero, NOTHING to steal, wha la.

Anyone who does manage to get the details can't steal anything cos its empty, it then gets declined or refused and the bank notify us to check up, our funds remain secure, nice and easy.

Online trading is fine provided you take reasonable steps to cover your backside(just to be clear, I'm not saying Emery didn't) We asked our bank for advice and they gave us good assistance with this matter, which in the end avoids them from having to pay out.

Lastly, Emery is right, NEVER use your credit card online, too much to lose if you have a healthy balance or large credit available, some dishonest fecker will steal it, sooner or later, been there done that eh!

Ando

Sent from the bottom of the Earth via a Tapatalk clone........……Motorcycle.com.

·
Registered
987 Posts
Buyer Beware

Unfortunately, the "Internet of Everything" has turned into a scummy pond where bottom feeders dwell and prosper. I put my 08 900C and an 11 Ford Fiesta on "Kijiji" to sell. I have had nothing but scammers call, acting like legitimate buyers, getting info about the car/bike etc and then asking for a credit card or debit card number for "insurance" purposes. I contacted Kijiji to let them know about it and they told me that there was nothing they could do about the responses, they were just an advertiser. Now, I post pictures at the local grocery/hardware stores, use buddies for contacts, and never buy or sell without being able to reach out and touch the purchaser/seller. The banks are getting better at recovering money from scammers if you use a credit card, but there is still an issue with debit cards.:cool:

·
Registered
372 Posts
What you can do is get a Visa or Mastercard from your local retailer, say with $ 100 or so on it. Use only that card for unknown online purchases. The most they can get from you is the balance on the card.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,849 Posts
Use pal pay for all your online purchases. My check card stopped working last week so when I called the bank they said they stopped it due to it may have been compromised and I new one was on the way. No theft on it cause it was stopped. Good thing my bank was on watch.

·
Registered
2,967 Posts
Frankly, I've heard just the opposite. NEVER use a debit card for online purchases, it's a direct line into your savings, checking, etc.

The credit card company I use has a service to provide virtual credit card numbers. A virtual card number is a one-time use number that can be set with a dollar limit or time limit, or both. But in any case it's one time use and when that number is used its done, over, kaput.

The charges come back to your regular credit card account, but the number visible to the outside world (including crooks) is that one-time-use-only virtual account number.

·
Registered
1,432 Posts
Take some friendly advice, DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING ONLINE AND USE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO PURCHASE AN ITEM-EVER!!!!
LMFAO!!! That's rather dramatic . . . I think a more accurate statement would be "Have a reputable bank, and monitor your statement". I have dozens of online transactions every month, across state lines, and never lose a dime.

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Here's one for ya. I went to use my debit card the other day and it was declined. I couldn't believe it so I tried three more times-even tried to run it through as credit with no success. I called my bank as soon as they opened the next morning to see why my card would not work and found out someone had got my card number and it had been hacked. Thank God my bank caught it in time. I used it for purchases in Charleston and Marshall, Illinois and someone else was using it in Missouri at the same time. In fact FIVE times. The only thing out of the ordinary that I have done with my card was order the 12 o'clock labs speedometer fixer which I have commented about on this site. I could not get a phone number for them so I had to enter all my card info online, which is something I never do, and for this very reason.I don't trust any of these sites and here is a good reason why. I don't know if Motomummy was at fault or if my order was hacked in transit or what the Hell happened. Take some friendly advice, DO NOT ORDER ANYTHING ONLINE AND USE YOUR CREDIT CARD INFORMATION TO PURCHASE AN ITEM-EVER!!!! If you can't get a phone number so you can call them and purchase your item over the phone, then buy somewhere else. Either that or call your bank and tell them to watch for unusual purchases and HOPE they catch it in time! Believe me it is not worth the hassle you have to go through once this happens, not to mention the embarresment when your card fails in a hometown store where everyone knows you.

Actually, this is exactly why I use a credit card for online purchases. This is also exactly why I never, ever, ever use a debit card.

Seems like I remember some credit cards offer single-transaction numbers for this sort of thing...

·
Premium Member
864 Posts
Frankly, I've heard just the opposite. NEVER use a debit card for online purchases, it's a direct line into your savings, checking, etc.

The credit card company I use has a service to provide virtual credit card numbers. A virtual card number is a one-time use number that can be set with a dollar limit or time limit, or both. But in any case it's one time use and when that number is used its done, over, kaput.

The charges come back to your regular credit card account, but the number visible to the outside world (including crooks) is that one-time-use-only virtual account number.
I agree with you. Never use a debit card for online purchases. It's linked to your cash. I like to keep a level of separation between my online purchases, and my cash.

I also urge caution using paypal for online purchases. My paypal account is linked to a bank account which has a balance of $ 25, has no overdraft protection, and is only used for paypal. It's also linked to a credit card, also only used for paypal. I have had an issue in the past where someone was somehow fraudulently able to use my paypal account without knowing my login information. I discovered it when I got an email indicating I had a large negative balance. Fortunately, Paypal cleared that up right quick. I also urge anyone using paypal to receive money to transfer that money away from paypal as soon as possible, to an account that they can't access.

I've been hit with fraudulent credit card charges many times. Usually the bank catches it before I do. When that doesn't happen, it's never taken more than one phone call to clear it up, and my money is never touched.

·
Registered
361 Posts
I agree with you. Never use a debit card for online purchases. It's linked to your cash. .
Um, yeah nah eh. Only if you have it set up that way eh.
We have a stand alone acct that is solely for debit transactions. We can transfer into this acct online, pay the for the product and the acct is then empty again, all done in a matter of minutes online.

The debit acct is not directly linked to our funds and takes an authorised transfer only done by me worth all of the other security measures the online acct has as done by the bank. The usual stuff with changing security codes an crap. The total cost of running this separate acct is only a couple a bucks a month. It manages the majority of our bills and buying. The convenience is great and more secure than getting the credit card or other accts breached. Ya can't steal anything if it's empty and unlinked to all of ya funds eh

1 - 11 of 11 Posts