Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to site am considering a new vulcan,want a 1700 classiic,but the 761 lbs semms more than an old man can handle, was considering a 900 610 lbs,but dont want to buy an under powered bike,am on a 09 yamaha fjr1300 ,145 hp, 641 lbs,have owned a yamaha royals star venture and it was close to 900 lbs and more than a hand full. am getting old and need to slow down and ride like a grown up, but dont want to be left in the dust,:)am 6'2" 240 lbs,and will ride solo most of the time with wife occaisionly

·
Registered
1,388 Posts
Kinda comes down 2 whatever floats ur boat........My advice is always sit on them.....Get a feel.....Which one feels better 2 u........And if possible always take a test drive....If u r able......The 900 is more than a capable cruiser/touring.......They r both awesome bikes.....Most dealers will have demo bikes......Take some time and test drive.....Kinda comes down 2 what u want from the bike i guess........:)

·
Registered
279 Posts
What do you want to do with it, and where do you want to ride it ?

If you want to saddle up with mama and hit the highway for a long haul several times a month, I would look at the 1700.

If you want to scoot around the backroads, and take mama out to lunch once a week, the 900 might be the way to go.

Either one of these bikes will satisfy the young man trapped within..

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
There are guys here that ride 2-up and pull a trailer on trips with the 900 and are happy with the performance.

If you're riding with sport bikes, you're gonna get left in the dust. If you're riding with cruisers (particularly MATURE cruisers) it'll hold it's own.

·
Registered
950 Posts
new to site am considering a new vulcan,want a 1700 classiic,but the 761 lbs semms more than an old man can handle, was considering a 900 610 lbs,but dont want to buy an under powered bike,am on a 09 yamaha fjr1300 ,145 hp, 641 lbs,have owned a yamaha royals star venture and it was close to 900 lbs and more than a hand full. am getting old and need to slow down and ride like a grown up, but dont want to be left in the dust,:)am 6'2" 240 lbs,and will ride solo most of the time with wife occaisionly
You answered your own question. The Royal Star was more than a handful, and you intend to slow down a bit. I am sure the 900 will suit your needs.

·
Registered
711 Posts
The 900 is not known to be underpowered. Only known to rev high at speeds over 65mph or 70mph with the sw front pulley. If your riding calls for lots of highway then the 1700 is a better option.

·
Registered
657 Posts
As a solo bike, the 900 is plenty for most circumstances. Though it can ride 2up, if you plan to do any distance riding, you may want the 1700 (I think Kawi screwed up big time not having a bike 1300-1500). The suspension on the 900 can bottom out really easily, even at the max setting (unless you spend about $800 for a really nice air shock). Also, if you're riding with a group fo people who tend to move at a fair clip, the 900 can bog down some on steeper hills or into a head wind. The big plus is what you mentioned is the lighter weight in dealing with the bike and as I said, it does ride really nicely as a solo bike. It's a really great bike for around town. I'm 56 and have no problem with the 900. If I were buying a new bike at this time, I would more than likely be looking for a bigger bike. :cool:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts