Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
new to site am considering a new vulcan,want a 1700 classiic,but the 761 lbs semms more than an old man can handle, was considering a 900 610 lbs,but dont want to buy an under powered bike,am on a 09 yamaha fjr1300 ,145 hp, 641 lbs,have owned a yamaha royals star venture and it was close to 900 lbs and more than a hand full. am getting old and need to slow down and ride like a grown up, but dont want to be left in the dust,:).. am 6'2", 240 lbs, that 900 will have to haul me around and an occaisional passenger

·
Registered
34 Posts
Okay Grampa, (I'm one too). Don't worry about the 900, I've got one and at 220 lbs. she has plenty for me. she's easy to handle as far as weight (the way it's balance has something to do with that) and has plenty of guts for the highway. I live in the Ozarks and Ol' Scoot takes the hills with no problem. She'll keep you up with much bigger bikes and won't be uncomfortable doing it. She's a 2009 Vulcan 900 Classic LT.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I concour the 900 will serve u very well as an all around bike especially if u do regular city driving. I am a Gandpa as well and 6.2 230 lbs. Just finished taking my 900 on 1000k trip and had no problem going over hign mountain pass and maintaining the 110K speed limit with power to spare. Bike does rev higher after 100K (could use 6th gear) but unless you are doing regular lengthy highway road trips the 900 will be a great all around bike. Some day when I decide to go tour the US and Canada I will get a 1700 but dont need one now.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Do all grandpas weigh about the same? LOL!! I'm 52, 6'3" and 240lbs and if I mention my wife's weight,,, well, lets just say I enjoy not have the rolling pin protruding out from the back of my head. Anyway, the 900 has way more then enough power for me and the misses. Hills are no problem, corners great, it's great in town, back country roads are a great ride. But the real choice is yours.

·
Registered
976 Posts
The weight on the 1700's is down low so it's lighter to lift than you think. Really, you'll need to sit on one and preferably ride it for a bit and see how it feels.

·
Premium Member
135 Posts
As with all replies so far, I totally agree about the 900; while I'm not a grandpa, I am 240 lbs, and often take another 140 lbs with me and the 900 has never had a problem out on the road...seems to actually run better with a good load on her!

IMHO, the 900 will be fine for you.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
thanks for all the good info,just found out that the 900 only comes with spoke wheels or the sport model with a skinny 21 front wheel, so as I cant live with either, then its the 1700 for me

·
Registered
976 Posts
Guys gotta know his limitations. Enjoy the 1700 it's probably my next bike, if I get a next bike, some year, I hope.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Love the 900 i have but yes after a year or so on the classic 900 would have choose the bigger one for sure. But am on a payment plan so have the 900 for a couple more years then a bigger one for sure

·
Registered
65 Posts
I like the nimbleness of the 900 vs the larger bikes. (My son's 1500 drifter.) And the belt drive take off vs the shaft drive. I'm 60 @ 6'0" 245. (used to be 190 before I quit drinking.) Was 220 when I bought this bike and it still hauls my fat a-- well enough. I am buying extras for it with an eye to whether they fit a 1700 though. Plan is to buy a motor home and put the bike on a back rack and tour the country. The 900 would be fine for that.

·
Registered
80 Posts
I just got a 1700 Nomad after selling my 900 Custom. I loved my 900 but it just didn't have enough power to comfortable cruise two up. I loved the fuel economy on my 900 as I could push it to over 400 km on a tank. Its like night and day with Nomad when you're talking comfort. Just got back from a 500 km scoot and you feel great when you get off the Nomad. With the 900 I would have been beat. The 900's engine sounded very busy at anything nover 100 kph. The Nomad just purrs along at 120 km in sixth gear. As far as the weight goes, you don't even notice it on the Nomad. The bike is very well balanced, and I personally think it is easier to handle at walking speed than the 900. Both bikes were great, but for two up riding on the highway, its got to be the Nomad.

·
Registered
451 Posts
Grampa, 60, 5'9", 260. I upgraded from a Suzuki C50 to a VN900LT, which is a heck of a lot more upgrade than 100 cc's would indicate.

I occasionally think about upgrading to a Nomad, but I think that's mostly testosterone talking. My LT does everything I need it to do, pleasantly and comfortably, up to 80 mph, then gets a little buzzy.

When I'm on the back country roads at 50-60 mph, I catch myself thinking, "yup, this bike is me".

I also think it's the nicest looking midsize cruiser in the market, bar none. Just my opinion.

·
Registered
52 Posts
hey krotch...I think u would love the 900 custom.......The skinny tire at first,may look out of place,...but after u drive it for an hour or so....u will love it...I too am 6'2'' and 280...so ride on....

·
Registered
198 Posts
Not a grampa yet, 55, 5'9", 165lbs. I have a V-Star 1100, which I love. Big fat bike, big fat noise, big fat horsepower, big fat handling. I need two lanes to turn around. The Vulcan takes one.

I bought a VN900 Classic LT for my wife. We chose that over the Honda Shadow. I like it lots. Very different from fat, it's light an nimble and quick off the line. I would trade with her, except that she says the Yamaha is too heavy, and I have to respect that.

I have straight pipes, larger intake and fuel processor to install yet, as well as Myron Schneider's rear pulley, which is totally gorgeous. The one lowers torque to the back wheel and the other boosts horsepower, so it should be a happy marriage. Out of the box, the bike is very quick and nimble, so much easier around town than the 1100.

I've ridden the new 1700 V-Stars, which are another dimension of horsepower. So what? I'm an old fart, as far as that goes. Zero to sixty in four seconds is fast enough. I doubt I'll ever need to get there in three seconds, so I'm not going to worry about it. The VN900 is a great bike, with me on it jumps into fourth gear without hesitation, so I'm sure it would have no problem with another 200lbs. My lady likes it because its so easy to ride, so I have no complaints. I love my V-Star, but the Vulcan is a completely different ride, and I love it for different reasons.

Quirks... I like my Yamaha because it chugs along, unstoppable. The Vulcan revs too high in third at sixty-five, and at fifty-five fourth gear lugs. Sucks, and I shift too often. There is a fix, a front pulley from Scootworks, or a rear pulley from Myron Schneider, which is pricey but totally gorgeous. Either will drop the revs at cruising speed, give longer legs, and the drop in delivered torque is easy to recover with straight pipes, larger air intake and a fuel processor. Bottom line is a totally awesome bike.

Ride the VN900 and the VN1700. Get a feel for them and decide. I don't think you should you write off the VN900 just because it isn't as fat. It's a great bike,and will probably do all that you ask of it and more, with the advantage of lighter weight and greater agility.

The preceding is a totally uninformed opinion. Like all free advice, it may be worth exactly what you paid. Check it out and decide for yourself, but that's my experience.

Cheers
Scott Fraser
Calgary, Alberta

·
Registered
34 Posts
Sit 'em both. Ride 'em if you can. The one that feels like it was built under you, that's the one to go with. If neither of them feel that way, keep lookin'.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts