Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am wondering if anyone else has this problem. I just did an oil change on my bike about 960 miles ago, and on my way home from Phoenix today from work, I started to hear a weird noise I had not heard before. After I got off of the Interstate, I finally was able to ascertain that it was my engine lifters ticking like I have never heard before. I don't understand how it can burn through three to four quarts of oil in such a low milage. Has anyone else ever had this issue?

·
Registered
157 Posts
Are you saying you actually checked and it was 3 or 4 quarts low? I would think that would be most of it. I think mine holds around 4. If it was run 4 quarts low, there very well could be some engine damage.

·
Premium Member
1,162 Posts
AZHunter -- check the Sticky at the top of our 2000 Garage for info on the ticking issue...My '05 2KA started doing the same thing recently, and I was really afraid somehow something catastrophic had happened. But after reading the Sticky here, then sending my baby to the mechanic and talking with him about it, I'm no longer worrying quite so much.

·
Registered
725 Posts
Sorry no way you've used/burned/leaked out 3-4 qurats and you didnt notice.
If burned - you'd know/see it very well even at 1000 miles.
If leaked you'd have a trail all over.

It's something else.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Remember these bikes can be difficult to get an oil reading, maybe the mechanic did not use the correct refill steps

My bike uses about one Qt. every 1000 miles 43,000 miles on speedo :surprise:

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Are you saying you actually checked and it was 3 or 4 quarts low? I would think that would be most of it. I think mine holds around 4. If it was run 4 quarts low, there very well could be some engine damage.
No, I only had to put in two quarts, however still seems like a lot for only 1000k miles.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Seems to be a common problem. Mine goes through a quart every tank. No smoke, no leak, no exhaust soot, no oil in coolant. Please post if you find the answer. Thanks

·
Registered
59 Posts
My 2001 Vulcan uses no oil and I change it every 4000miles. I am no mechanic but using a quart of oil every 5 gal of gasoline is a lot...a lot. I agree with a previous post that oil smoke or a puddle would be obvious.

·
Premium Member
981 Posts
shouldn't use oil like that.

Uh huh, I have a 2004 Nomad that uses less than 8 oz between 5K mile oil changes, has 42000 on the clock. If I went through oil like that the scoot would be a trade in...:devil2:

·
Registered
69 Posts
For what its worth my V2K uses 1/2 a litre in 3000 miles, Scotanor, maybe yours is a two stroke. Smiley face, Smiley face. ( don’t know how to insert emojis )

·
Registered
6 Posts
Thanks for the input. Guess I will need to have it checked by a professional. I love my bike but when you buy used, you do not know how they were maintained.

·
Bike Of The Year Winner, 2012
4,910 Posts
Only time I add oil, is when I do my yearly oil change.

"I" think them Hardly owners are taking a bit of your oil to put into their bikes.

Yea.. that is what is going on...

·
Registered
857 Posts
Only time I add oil, is when I do my yearly oil change.

"I" think them Hardly owners are taking a bit of your oil to put into their bikes.

Yea.. that is what is going on...
I wanted to put 3 likes on that but it wont let me.
:grin2:

My Beast has a way of telling me when it need oil, when it is 1 quart low (very seldom, almost time for my oil change) I will feel/hear the gear into 1st a little clunkier than usual, some times I notice even 1/2 quart low at the trans noise, you just learn to listen to yur scoot, she'll tell what she needs. And it is definitely easier than trying to find out what yur wife want or needs.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts