Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2015 Voyager, 12000km on the clock.

It's the strangest thing: If I take a good long coast to a stop sign from highway speed with the throttle closed and don't bother downshifting, every now and then I get a whiff of burning oil after coming to a stop. It's the only time it happens and it's intermittent.

No smoke coming out of the pipes and no burning oil smell from the pipes on takeoff. Had the wife really pay attention today as she rode behind me. Couldn't smell a thing behind the bike when underway, taking off or at a stop sign.

It only happens in the situation I described, the smell seems to waft up from the centre of the bike. It's brief and intermittent. And yeah, I know what an oil burning dying engine smells like. It has me worried and puzzled.

I checked the oil and really haven't used anything over 5000km.

Any ideas?

·
Registered
580 Posts
look at the vent tube?? just a guess

Ya I would pull the left cover and air filter. You may be able to tell if the CC vent hose is still on without removing the whole airbox but if not, it pretty easy to do. If that isn't the problem I have no idea......can't be anything too serious as you say your oil level is still up. Good luck.

·
Registered
388 Posts
I have noticed the same smell on rare occasions on my 2011 Nomad. And I have found not a thing wrong as well.

·
Registered
2,656 Posts
Why would you do that? Doesn't the engine start lugging if you don't downshift or at least disengage the clutch?

I always downshift so I am ready to accelerate if needed.

Maybe coasting under engine back pressure is the problem. Search for oil on the bike by coasting int the garage that way and get out a powerful light to look around.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Why would you do that? Doesn't the engine start lugging if you don't downshift or at least disengage the clutch?

I always downshift so I am ready to accelerate if needed.

Maybe coasting under engine back pressure is the problem. Search for oil on the bike by coasting int the garage that way and get out a powerful light to look around.
I only do it if I'm lazy and coasting into a stop. Throttle closed after downshift and coast.

Here's what's inside the airbox: (that's not liquid, it's sticky, nasty gooey sludge)

Attachments

·
Registered
580 Posts
I only do it if I'm lazy and coasting into a stop. Throttle closed after downshift and coast.

Here's what's inside the airbox: (that's not liquid, it's sticky, nasty gooey sludge)
Just to confirm, your crank case vent hose is properly attached?

·
Registered
701 Posts
nothing abnormal about having some oil in there. The oil level can be to high or it is just a build from vapors that pass through that part of the intake. Nothing to worry about. Your car does this too, but it use a PCV vale to control it.

·
Registered
256 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So I think I solved the stink problem. I got ride of the deposits in the airbox. They were thicker than molasses. No more stink.

I'm thinking on long, closed throttle deceleration, could there be abnormally high venting going on? Hot gasses heat up that sludge and the stink happens....

Thoughts?

·
Registered
580 Posts
So I think I solved the stink problem. I got ride of the deposits in the airbox. They were thicker than molasses. No more stink.

I'm thinking on long, closed throttle deceleration, could there be abnormally high venting going on? Hot gasses heat up that sludge and the stink happens....

Thoughts?
I don't decelerate that way so I have no idea if that would cause any issues. Hopefully you have cured it

·
Premium Member
1,707 Posts
Best way to tell is to NOT decel like that for a while and see if you do not smell oil. Then do it again for a while and see if you smell oil. If you start smelling oil again... then.... either accept it or change the way you stop..... or neither.... I guess the long decel forces more engine vapors into the box than normal and you smell it coming out thorough the air filter box. Same thing with the hyper chargers on a couple of my Yamaha's. I get a gas/oil smell once in a while after I shut down the engine out of those.

It's your scoot, drive it the way you want, not the way others try to tell you.... and yes oil does accumulate there. I clean both air boxes and middle tube when I clean my air filter. Only takes a few minutes extra and is easy enough.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts