Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello all,

First, thanks for taking the time to read this.

I searched the forums for this issue, but the only one that came close was a very new bike, not the same as mine and the other post I found was on Reddit and seemed to involve the air intake.

The problem, I am smelling a burning smell from the bike each time I ride, hard to describe, but does have an burnt oil tinge to it (doesn't smell like burning plastic). I attributed this to the new oil the dealer put in the first couple rides, but now I cannot use that excuse

History: I bought my bike about a month ago with 6110 miles from a dealer and have enjoyed it and have been excited about it everyday. So I have only ridden it about 100 miles so far, mostly short jogs, but a couple longer rides. I have been mostly just adjusting and adding mods, while I get comfortable.

I am not seeing any leaks or a reduction in fluids. I looked at the bike closely tonight and removed some covers and found a haulking mass of chain grease/dirt/whatever else at the front sprocket area and below there, so I removed most of it it. I also found lots of dirt/grease/dirt/debris on top of the exhaust and exhaust covers. I have also sprayed some Penetrating oil on some rust areas and anything that moves. Could the smell be this combination of stuff cooking on the exhaust or the back side engine?

Have any of you experienced anything like this?

I plan on cleaning the chain, then the bike, then cleaning the chain again and then adding chain lube.

Any other suggestions? Should I be looking at something else? Thank for your feedback.

·
Premium Member
926 Posts
Chain lube that slings onto the stock exhaust will burn off. and it may take several sessions to completely burn off. One advantage of aftermarket exhaust :cool:

·
Registered
139 Posts
When I had my Vulcan S, I brought it back to the dealer twice because of a smell that I thought was either oil or a brake smell. Both times they told me there was nothing wrong. I rode with it for a while and eventually it went away.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I just experienced this myself, noticed it when I was heading to the gas station (just pulled out of the driveway) and could smell it getting worse as I rode (so things heating up). Nothing like getting to a jump and spending 10 minutes on all fours in slush to finally find a small spot on the exhaust of chain lube. Phew! At least we know the smell now right?!?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yeah, that's what I concluded, chain lube burnage on the exhaust, can't wait to get an aftermarket exhaust

1 - 6 of 6 Posts