Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just got them and mocked them on the bike.
Cables..... Looking at 8" over. Maybe 6". Not sure.
I have had some experience with aftermarket clutch cables on my Yami before and their quite stiff and rigid.
So 8" for sure on the clutch side.

As for the electrical extentions.....Looking at 17" over. Lots of room in headlight if over measured.

Will have to sand down the bar ends to get some of the thick chrome off to allow the clutch lever & right side main reservoir assembly on.

Also noticed that the hole at the bottom of the bars where the wires will exit will need to be enlarged a bit to allow room for the wires to go over the fork stem nut that is right below it.

Great thing is the way the electrical is set up with the Bug-Eye headlight. I can do all of the internal wiring/controls
and grips inside where its nice and warm. Then take it out to the garage and open up the right side and slip on the cables and install the clutch cable on as well as the brake lines and that will be it.

Now if anyone has any tip/info. Please do not hesitate to chirp in.

I don't pretend to know what the hell I'm doing. Just learning as I go. :eek:

Attachments

·
wocka, wocka, wocka
5,618 Posts
imp, nothing mini about them apes! ask me a question, when you ride with your arms stretched up toward heaven, do you wear any armpit protection? just seems like your gonna need it.? am 'magining a rock or a bee would put a serious hurt on you in them tender places. out, ponch

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not really much more higher than the stock ones cranked up.
About 3" higher.
I'm also not one to ride without my riding jacket fully zipped and cuffed.
Learned that many years ago when riding with a jacket not zipped and cuffs of sleeves left loose. Bee got into my jacket. Didn't get bit. But was that a moment.
Ever since then never had issues when properly dressed.
It could be 100 degrees and that jacket is on.

Hoping to get the bars fully mounted this weekend.
Been busy with family things this past week.

·
1946-2014
630 Posts
Paul,
I'm sorry sir, but I have got to steal the last line of your post. That so perfectly describes me.

"I don't pretend to know what the Hell I'm doing. Just learning as I go."

Priceless.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Well I finally got around to fully mounting them. All the electrical worked and ( look no fire ).
Made a few mistakes but got lucky and it all came together.
I was stumped when I turned on the ignition and the headlight didn't work.:confused:
I couldn't remember if the light comes on with the engine only or just when you power it.
Mine came on when the engine was cranked. So I guess thats right. :D LOL

Today I measured up and ordered the cables and brake line from PHAT PERFORMANCE.
I need to wait now a few weeks for them to arrive and its on to the next puzzle to solve.

I have to honestly say the bars do feel exceptional.
Not 16" as a lot of folks go too. But just right for me at 14"

So if any rookie wrenchers wants to tackle this..
Do it.... Don't be afraid. :eek:
Sh#!% if I can do it. Anyone can.

Attachments

·
Registered
40 Posts
1"?

Are the bars one inch or did you change the risers, too? And how tall are you? I'm six foot four and am getting 4" risers for my 07 Classic V2K LT possibly from Harley.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Are the bars one inch or did you change the risers, too? And how tall are you? I'm six foot four and am getting 4" risers for my 07 Classic V2K LT possibly from Harley.
Bars are 1 1/4" except where the controls/grips go on and where they
attached to the risers.

I'm 6ft..So you being taller I would imagine your reach is even more than mine.

Keep in mind that the design of the stock bars flare out more than up.
See pic below. For me ( since reach was a factor )
The bars to my taste did not look as good compared to getting bars that are designed going upward "catagorized as apes ".
They have 10", 12" 14" out there to suite any need.

Attachments

1 - 8 of 8 Posts