Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts
J

·
0 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Last Wednesday my job took me by the Honda dealership in the afternoon. Whenever I pass this shop, I always glance at the used motorcycles they usually park on the boulevard in front of the place, this is how I stumbled across the Triumph Bonneville I bought from them some years ago. As we passed by, I spotted a white 1988 BMW K75 in the pack lined up by the road, and instantly recognized it as my wife's old bike due to it's distinctive R90S quarter-fairing and optional chin piece, both of which we had installed on the bike shortly after she bought it in St. Paul about twenty-four years ago...I took this photo of the old K75 at the Honda dealership yesterday (Saturday) afternoon...

Teresa bought the bike from St. Paul Honda/BMW around 1989 or 1990, it had 119 miles on it. It had originally been purchased by a young man who's mother in California, after learning that her son had bought a motorcycle, threatened to take him out of her will if he kept it (seriously), so back to the dealer it went. That's when Teresa found it. She had put about 26,000 miles on her 1987 Ninja 750 and was ready for something a bit mellower to travel on and the BMW appealed to her, so she traded the Kawasaki in for the K75. Originally, this K75 model was fitted with a factory quarter-fairing, though it was a rather unattractively boxy affair in our opinion, and was soon swapped-out for a BMW R90S quarter fairing, which we had painted white and striped to match the fuel tank. Teresa then added the fiberglass chin piece, which was also a factory K75 option. Then she finished it out with black bar-end mirrors, and soon had the original black wheels powder-coated a light silver and installed a Luftmeister slip-on muffler and Corbin seat.

Here's a few shots of her K75 from around twenty to twenty-four years ago when we still lived in Minneapolis. It had a little more shine on it back then...

On a trip to Yellowstone...with my 1993 BMW R100 'Paris Dakar' in the background...

We brought both of our BMW's with us when we moved to Rapid City in 1993. In 1997 or 98, Teresa traded the K75 in at the Sturgis BMW/Yamaha shop for a new BMW R100R Roadster, which she only kept for a year or two, and the K75 was then purchased by a man from Custer, South Dakota and went away. We saw the bike only once after that maybe seven or eight years ago when we were down in Custer and saw her bike being ridden by it's owner and we followed him a few blocks and luckily, he stopped, and we were able to talk to him about the bike for a few minutes. That's the last we saw it...until it popped up last Wednesday.

I made a special trip to the Honda shop today to look over the bike again, and asked to ride it. The salesman threw a dealer plate on it and I took it for a fifteen minute ride. The K75 sideways triples have distinctive sound to them, a whistling purr that's about as exciting as a blender beneath a ten foot deep pile of feather pillows. The previous owner had removed the Luftmeister muffler and put a stock muffler back on the bike, which is fine, and the bike was very quiet. It shifted as smoothly as any motorcycle I've ever ridden, and showed no signs of abuse or excessive wear. It was certainly slower than I remembered it to be, but they're only 70hp, so it was never a rocket anyway, but altogether still a very civilized, pleasant, and comfortable motorcycle, which is exactly what it was supposed to be. Somewhere along the way, it's very nice black bar-end mirrors were replaced with stock BMW stalk mirrors, and an ugly little travel trunk was put on it's tailpiece, but otherwise very much as we left it many years ago. It now has 36,000 miles on it, but Teresa must have had 30-32,000 on it when she traded it in, so it's not been ridden very much in all that time. It now has a full-coverage tank bra on it, so I don't know what the paint is like beneath it, but all other painted parts still look very good, so I'm going to assume that the tank paint is also.

A few rolling shot from the saddle this afternoon...The first time I've ridden it in about eighteen years...

Of course, I asked Teresa if she was interested in owning the bike again, and although she appreciates the 'Twilight Zone' aspects of finding the bike, she doesn't really want to buy it for herself. Even though she rode this machine for some years, she was never really comfortable with it's seat height and weight, even though her K75 is a factory low-seat model, she's just too happy with her current Hayabusa, and unlike me, she isn't the type to want to own multiple motorcycles. I, however, am kind of interested in it for myself, though I can't buy it right now...but it's nearly fall, and the K75 might sit around for some time and I may just go after it in a few months if it's still there. We'll see. I just changed jobs, and my income has been, as they say, 'interrupted' for the past three weeks, and it'll take me a little more time to get things settled back down to where I can snatch another motorcycle, but the good news is that my new job pays about half-again more than my old 'gig' did, so who knows?

·
Registered
1,068 Posts
Man, that's a neat story. I always wonder about the fates of some of my old vehicles, but sadly, too many of them started off pretty rough and a couple I sent to the scrapyard myself. My first bike, an '85 VN700, I know it got grenaded by a Harley tech after the kid I sold it to brought it in for a trade. That kid was rough on that bike too. And my 9 was traded in at Action Motorsports in Idaho Falls for my Vic, so it could be anywhere in five states by now.

That sure is cool, tho, J

1 - 2 of 2 Posts