Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 900 Custom went over today in my garage. Got distracted and let it down on the side stand that I had not put out! Down she went to my horror. Was not next to a wall so no damage to lever/mirror etc. Picked her up, put on the stand and got down with no great hopes to see the damage. To my complete amazement there was not a mark anywhere except for a tiny concrete scrape under the footpeg mount(shift side). The footpeg had folded out of the way. It would appear that the manufacturer has done a drop test design and arranged for the bike to go down on the left side, touching only the cast footpeg mount. Well done Kawasaki! I managed to catch the bike a bit breaking the fall but it went squarely on the metal mount. I checked the bolts and angles and everything seems to have held undamaged. Not sure what would happen with a right side drop but today I recon I got off very luckily. Rode afterwards - no contact had been made with the shift arm or clutch lever. Can't help think this designer drop protection. Years ago my SV650 went down in a similar manner and the shift arm snapped and clutch lever was badly bent.

·
Registered
2,098 Posts
Whew! I did a less than 5 mph drop on left side and was not so lucky. Dents/scratches on tank, bent shifter which I was able to bend back, and wasted shield that had to be replaced.

I'm sure highway bars would help you and I both.

·
Premium Member
1,335 Posts
One of the best investments you can make. Convinced my son to add a highway bar, and now he thanks me. About a month after he installed the bar he dumped his bike turning around in a driveway. Only a few scratches on the bottom of the bar, nothing else.... Highly recommend...

·
Registered
34 Posts
I did a 5ish mph lay down on mine a few months back as well, lucky it went down on right side (break side) all it walked away with was small scratch in mirror, break lever, right foot peg and on the very back of my CHROME pipes.. All doesn't bug me as much as the chrome
Cause there's nothing I can do unless I paint them.. But I've kinda gotten over it all and lucky that was all that happened!

Sent from Motorcycle.com Free App

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Can't say I'm a great lover of 'grandad bars' but yes they do a good job. In the last 6 bikes I only had 1 with bars and that went 2 years without a fall. The one that fell did not have them - sods law! Of course the best protection is taking extra care but that does not always work ;). If you put on crash bars for highway pegs then that's cool of course! Vanity prevented me from fitting any bars to my new Gixxer - went 12 months/6000 miles without a scrape and that was with some pretty 'spirited' lean angles - a drop on a sportsbike fairing is not good!

·
Registered
87 Posts
Crash tested mine at about 40mph a few weeks ago and was surprised at how well it did.

Went down on left side. Sure, some things got bent (mirror, clutch lever, shifter and bracket) and dented (gas tank, rear tail scraped up a bit) but the only thing that broke was the headlight housing and it was already cracked and JB Welded prior to the wreck. I rode the bike home w/ the headlight in my saddle bag. All told I'll spend about $300 on parts to make it nice again, a weekend w/ some bondo and rattle can on the tank and tail and be back in business. Glad my bike is black, hoping you won't be able to tell much.

·
Premium Member
443 Posts
Normally the crash bars work very well. On large cruisers with front and rear crash bars the bike is not supposed to go past 45 degrees. BUT...

A recent ride with a friend with a Yamaha Royal Star Venture, he was trying to back up and the ground sloped fairly sharply to the left. When his left foot didn't reach the ground he dropped the bike. Since the ground sloped to the left, his bike hit the highway bars and KEPT ON rotating until the top left was on the ground and the wheels were pointing upwards at 15 or 20 degrees. Trunk, saddlebags, fairing, windshield, lightbar, trunk and a light on the rear highway bar all bent, scratched, cracked. The bike was still rideable but repairs were $6500. It only cost him his $1000 deductible, but he's been without the bike for 2 months now waiting for parts and repairs.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Amazing how major a virtually stationary spill can be if the camber is nasty. I'm beginning to think I was very lucky yesterday! By the way guys, I wondered are the Classic and Custom 900 without crash bars, similar or different in damage when dropped?

·
Registered
87 Posts
DID THE SAME THING BUT LEANED IT IN MY WIFE'S CAR . Didn't hurt my bike but put a scratch in the car . Keep ignored it and didn't say anything . When she saw it she said some ass at the mall scratch my car . Had to laugh but still kept ed my mouth shut . That's what she gets for parking to close to my bike .

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
Grandpa Bars? I dropped mine years ago when the front tire slipped sideways on some dew covered RR tracks. That bar saved my leg from being trapped and really protected the bike from significant damage. Call them what you will, they work.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Oh yes bars protect you. So do airbags and riding slowly. I think it's just where you draw the line. I just don't personally care for the look but understand why some put them on. They look better on a fully dressed bike than a cool custom. Depends on your personal preference.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts