Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
OK so I have my 800 pretty much the way I like it for now, only things I have left to do this season is design and install a custom exhaust and maybe get the bike painted if budget allows, anyway I have been looking at all the alternatives on the market for our bikes and I must say they are impressive for sound but are kinda lacking is original design, to me a great looking exhaust is as important as a great sounding exhaust.

I know I am going to get slammed but the one I like the most is the Harley Fatboy design as pictured below, with our Vulcan having similar lines (at least mine does now after some suspension work and bolt ons) I think this would be a great looking exhaust:

brad_k_2_tm.jpg

My next selection is the Highway Hawks slash cuts:

snapshot.jpg

I am working on a photoshop of the FatBoy exhaust on my bike and will post it when it done, guys help me out here post pictures of your aftermarket or custom build exhausts systems, thanks.

2002 VN800 as it is now, stock exhaust de-baffled

web large 001.jpg

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
you in usa?

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Canada eh!

·
Registered
1,319 Posts
did your bike ever have a scootworks belt drive on it? are you on the east coast? or Ontario, I might know of your bikes history or might not, depends where you are at, maybe your 2002 B is a different bike than I am thinking of

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
I made a 2-1 exhaust for my 05 800 Classic a couple years ago. Mine had no baffles, but should not be too hard to install some if you like. I did double wrap the head pipes because the heat from he rear pipe was burning a hole through my jeans, the 2nd wrapping stopped that. Could also made/buy custom heat shields to prevent this.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Nope never had Scootworks belt drive, thought it would be cool and looked into it but found not worth the hassles in the long run, Scootworks are historically slow on delivery times and the belts are unavailable anywhere else, they also seem to be unreliable with modded bikes snapping belts under heavy throttle, and I am a throttle whore so not a good combination, the chain is messy but strong and easily replaced on roadside if need be, and I have a cheap spare with me at all times. Re-geared to 18T front and 40T rear gave me same drive ratio as the belt drive, better on highway.

This bike is from eastern Canada, at least that's where I bought it and where I live, Cape Breton, Nova Scotia. Bought it from a dude in North Side East Bay, Cape Breton NS. Have had it since May 2015. Was basically bone stock when I got it.

BTW just scored this set of 2003 anniversary FatBoy pipes for $80.00 Canadian delivered, was told these were removed from the bike at the dealership and replaced with V&H Pipes, they look brand new inside and out, owners kept the pipes and is now clearing out basement I found them on Kijiji. Can't wait to get started, for $80.00 I couldn't even get enough tubing to do an exhaust let alone chromed and with heat shields and already formed bends, this is going to be interesting..

$_27.JPG $_271.JPG

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I made a 2-1 exhaust for my 05 800 Classic a couple years ago. Mine had no baffles, but should not be too hard to install some if you like. I did double wrap the head pipes because the heat from he rear pipe was burning a hole through my jeans, the 2nd wrapping stopped that. Could also made/buy custom heat shields to prevent this.
Nice, that looks slick,most exhausts I see for our bike do not flow with the lines if you know what I mean, they do the job but look like there was little to no thought put into the design, yours definitely flows and that and that's what I am after, great job and I am now torn between what I had in mind and what you did. Thanks for the pics.

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
Nice, that looks slick,most exhausts I see for our bike do not flow with the lines if you know what I mean, they do the job but look like there was little to no thought put into the design, yours definitely flows and that and that's what I am after, great job and I am now torn between what I had in mind and what you did. Thanks for the pics.
With the tubing and having it bent, plus the 3"x24" exhaust tip I used as a "muffler", I had about $50 into it plus 2 packs of exhaust wrap. Total investment was less than $100. I used all of the stock front tubing. The rear tube is where I used new stuff. The welds are not the prettiest, but I did this with a wire feed gasless welder, and know I would be using wrap to cover them.

Attachments

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
With the tubing and having it bent, plus the 3"x24" exhaust tip I used as a "muffler", I had about $50 into it plus 2 packs of exhaust wrap. Total investment was less than $100. I used all of the stock front tubing. The rear tube is where I used new stuff. The welds are not the prettiest, but I did this with a wire feed gasless welder, and know I would be using wrap to cover them.
very nice, how does it sound any sound clips you could share?

·
Registered
3,895 Posts
All I can say is LOUD! I have since bought another set of stock pipes and removed only the rear most baffles, it tended to drone on long rides were now it mellows out at speed. I could have probably put baffles in it but got a set cheap. Its very close to the stock pipes without any baffles as far as sound goes. I do still have this system and may reinstall with baffles later.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #11 (Edited)
Found another design posted a few years ago on this site by Bob Myers where he added some HD Sportster mufflers to the OEM VN800 exhaust header, looks very sharp and a lot less work than I had proposed to do cutting and welding and such. Might go that route and do something more elaborate over the winter while the bike is in storage. I sent Bob a pm requesting some pics and maybe a bit of advice but haven't heard back as of yet, anyway here are some pics of that mod that were found on this site:

P3270059.JPG P3270058.JPG P3270057.JPG Oct 24, 2010 001.jpg

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Fat Boy exhaust mufflers on VN800B

OK so after looking at many options and the obstacles I would encounter I decided to go with the simplest of just removing the old megaphone mufflers and welding on the new Fat Boy mufflers in their place, not quite as simple as it sounds but I got it done, took approx 10 hours but I was taking my time and enjoying a few cold ones. anyway here is a short video of the end result, have not installed my header pipe heat shields or the RH side saddlebag, have some detailed pics of the process including the brackets I made if anyone is interested, let me know.

·
Premium Member
1,221 Posts
Found another design posted a few years ago on this site by Bob Myers where he added some HD Sportster mufflers to the OEM VN800 exhaust header, looks very sharp and a lot less work than I had proposed to do cutting and welding and such. Might go that route and do something more elaborate over the winter while the bike is in storage. I sent Bob a pm requesting some pics and maybe a bit of advice but haven't heard back as of yet, anyway here are some pics of that mod that were found on this site:
I'm terribly late to this party, never got a notice of a pm, did get a notice today of a reply to another post I had made and discovered this. I sold my 800 several years ago, bought a Gold Wing(2 of them actually), I still have the extra set of sporty mufflers if some one wanted them.
Again, I apologize for being so late, if I can help, best way to get me is direct email; [email protected]

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts