Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
94 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just came back from a 2 week road trip. My bike was covered with bugs that met they're demise while crashing head on into my bike at 70 mph. I washed it last night and thought that I did a good job but you can still see bug stains on the fairing. What is a good product to use to help remove them. I don't want to wax it until I get them off so I don't wax them in. I was thinking clay bar but that will take a long time. Any suggestions on products. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
507 Posts
I've cleaned an unimaginable tonnage of bug guts off semi-truck windshields, and you won't believe our sooper-sekrit formula.

You put some Dawn dishwashing liquid on a wet sponge -- say a two-inch squirt on an eight-inch sponge, but the concentration isn't that critical -- and wash them off. We'd just carry a little bottle of Dawn in the truck and squirt some on the long-handled squeegees they have at the truck stop. You'll want to scrub a little more gently than we did the windshields, and it might take a couple of tries, but that bug crud you see is mostly fat, and that's what Dawn cuts like crazy.

I can't say I've tested other brands -- for some reason, Dawn is the chemical of choice for truck drivers, and I imagine there might be a good reason for that.

Do I get to screech in and kiss the cod now? :grin2:

·
Registered
30 Posts
a little trick my grandfather showed me ( i thought he was nuts but it works) next time before a long trip wipe a little baby oil on the fairing
everything washes right off

·
Premium Member
499 Posts
Turtle Wax makes a Bug and Tar remover that works real good. I've used a couple of bottles of it and keep a couple in the garage. You just spray it on, let is sit for a short time and wipe it off. Sometimes it takes a little elbow grease but not much.

·
Registered
256 Posts
When mine needs a bath I just use a bucket of HOT water with my regular car wash. I'll saturate all the buggy areas of the bike, let it sit and then go at it again gently. Usually, two rounds is enough and then a good wax job takes care of any leftovers.

·
Lifetime Premium Bike Of The Fall Winner 2017
2,855 Posts
Soap and water with a micro fiber cloth. Just ruff enough to get the bugs but to scratch.

·
Registered
504 Posts
I have had mixed luck with off the shelf stuff. The previously-mentioned Turtle Wax Bug & Tar Remover didn't work for me at all. I found Tarminator, and THAT stuff works well. If you keep your bike waxed (even spray wax every couple of weeks), the bugs come off easier, and the bike is shinier, so there's an added bonus! Since I keep my fairing waxed, the bugs generally come off with any spray detailer. Griot's Garage Speed Shine is the one I'm currently using.

-John

·
Registered
15 Posts
I use a product from Malco its called bug off u spray and let sit and then wash and bugs come right off, Wizard products makes a bug spray also havent tried it but would say its good also. One more tip I used Malco showroom shine and spray on and wipe off cleans bike with out washing and takes bugs right off plus gives you a shine like no other!

·
Registered
58 Posts
Fabric softener dryer sheets. Wet one and wipe the bugs right off. It leaves a film, so you have to rinse with water afterwards. I normally use Novus PC-10 Plastic Clean and Shine. Both have worked well for me here in Florida.

·
Registered
69 Posts
Ive been using lemmon juice and water to clean the glass on my truck, bike and house windows for years. I found this out from the local truck stop here. you can smell it when you use there squeege on your windshield. I buy the concentrated stuff from the grocery store and mix it 50/50 with water in a spray bottle. and use a clean micro fiber towel. after cleaning the bike windshield with this, I give it a quick spray with lemmon pledge and buff for a nice shine.

·
Registered
507 Posts
They put lemon juice in the windshield wash water at Canadian truck stops? WOW! You folks are even more polite than the stereotype says you are!

In the US we were lucky if they could spare a couple of drops of dishwashing liquid for the bucket. Some places, we figured they added mud.

·
Registered
69 Posts
I wouldnt say all truck stops do that, but the local one around here does.

·
Premium Member
994 Posts
Soap and water.
Alcohol free glass cleaner and a microfiber cloth (ie. Sprayway).
Plexus and a microfiber cloth.
Turtle Wax and a good clean towel with lots of buffing will help make them less sticky. Just don't leave streaks.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts