Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I put an OEM windscreen from an LT on my 08 900 Custome and the buffeting was terrible. I tried adjusting up and down with no relief. I then added OEM lowers and the buffeting was dramatically cut down. That being said, at 70mph or if the wind is blowing, I still get buffeting. I have read some posts about how angeling the windscreen back so it is at the same angle as the forks also helps. http://www.vulcanforums.com/forums/showthread.php?t=4996&highlight=buffeting

Can someone explain or better.... post pics of how they angled the windscreen?

·
Registered
487 Posts
On one of the past threads "waterboy13" mentioned he was working on some brackets that would angle the windshield. You may want to PM him or contact him through his web site. http://ironsinthefire.webs.com/

·
Registered
487 Posts
Found this from an earlier thread.

You are welcome! Making the shield snug up against the windshield behind the turn signal certainly eliminates the wind through that gap that comes up around the tank, quite strange aerodynamics of the wind around and up from the tank on the 900, you honestly won't believe the difference, it was my first "creation" for my bike. You can hang your hand/arm down by your side and out and the wind doesn't blow it away! I've had a South Dakota "ringneck" pheasant bounce off mine at 45mph, saving my leg and did no damage to the lower or bike, they have caught many a bug and road debris from passing motorists. The adjustable feature will let you raise them as you raise the windshield if that is an issue. Coming soon is a "Windshield Tilt Mod Kit" with both vertical and rearward tilt option replacing the factory brackets on the windshield which should help with buffeting even more and make the windshield more pleasing to the eye by being in alignment with the forks. I will never have a bike without the lowers again. Thanks again, would love to be able to help (a displaced Minnesotan from Spicer!). Click on site photos to open more.
http://ironsinthefire.webs.com/apps/photos/

·
Registered
117 Posts
Windshield Tilt Mod Kit

Thanks jfarley, laser folks are cutting prototype and when fitted and approved I will be getting several sets cut, then off to chrome, 4-6 weeks I'm guessing, they should be very affordable.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Thanks jfarley, laser folks are cutting prototype and when fitted and approved I will be getting several sets cut, then off to chrome, 4-6 weeks I'm guessing, they should be very affordable.
I'm still planning on getting a set of your lowers. I'm scheduled for an April termination at work, good old reduction in work force. I've applied for a new position, if I get it I'll get them on order. If not may have to sell the bike.:mad:

·
Registered
117 Posts
Recession Sucks

I'm still planning on getting a set of your lowers. I'm scheduled for an April termination at work, good old reduction in work force. I've applied for a new position, if I get it I'll get them on order. If not may have to sell the bike.:mad:
Both Deb and I want you to know that we have "started over" in life countless times, each time thinking it is worse than the last, but as I walk into the bedroom each day I am reminded by a wall hanging that, "When God closes one door, he opens another", how true, I'm sure that what change may come will somehow be better, it's just hard to realize it sometimes as we mortals tend to dwell on misfortune instead of rejoicing for our gifts, good luck.

·
Registered
657 Posts
Another way to look at came when I was at my lowest point. I thought I had lost the most important thing to me because of someone elses actions, but all I lost was a lousy marriage... and still ended up raising my son after the age of 13. It came from a line in a book. Though the book was fiction, this tidbit was real. "Where once I thought I was the victim of my circumstances, I discovered I was really the designer of my destiny". I took the actions and trusted in that which is greater than myself for the result... and it proved to be true. As mentioned above, when one door closes, another one is opened. All I have to do is to have the faith to reach out and turn the door knob!!!

·
Registered
487 Posts
Another way to look at came when I was at my lowest point. I thought I had lost the most important thing to me because of someone elses actions, but all I lost was a lousy marriage... and still ended up raising my son after the age of 13. It came from a line in a book. Though the book was fiction, this tidbit was real. "Where once I thought I was the victim of my circumstances, I discovered I was really the designer of my destiny". I took the actions and trusted in that which is greater than myself for the result... and it proved to be true. As mentioned above, when one door closes, another one is opened. All I have to do is to have the faith to reach out and turn the door knob!!!
Both Deb and I want you to know that we have "started over" in life countless times, each time thinking it is worse than the last, but as I walk into the bedroom each day I am reminded by a wall hanging that, "When God closes one door, he opens another", how true, I'm sure that what change may come will somehow be better, it's just hard to realize it sometimes as we mortals tend to dwell on misfortune instead of rejoicing for our gifts, good luck.
Thanks, I do appreciate your thoughts.:)

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
I am suprised at the buffeting, maybe its because its on a custom, mine is a classic lt and i was amazed when i got the bike at how quiet it was, shorty helmets, normal conversation at speed <65mph> no wind noise, i wear earplugs on my sportbike, what a difference.... I changed the "rake" of my shield to angle the same as my forks by enlarging the bottom hole and using a washer, not much of a adjustment but it all flows, height setting is on low.... just my 2 cents worth.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Curious to hear how changing the angle of the oem windshield helps. I too have the oem windshield with bad buffeting. hoping to buy a set of Waterboys lowers in the spring here(so dont stop making them) to help the problem. Like head in a paint shaker right now. Riding without the windshield is way easier on the brain but the rocks and bugs hurt a lot more.

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts
Curious to hear how changing the angle of the oem windshield helps. I too have the oem windshield with bad buffeting. hoping to buy a set of Waterboys lowers in the spring here(so dont stop making them) to help the problem. Like head in a paint shaker right now. Riding without the windshield is way easier on the brain but the rocks and bugs hurt a lot more.
Try altering the shield height, i am 5'10" and mine is on the lowest setting, eyelevel is just over the top of the screen with no distorted vision, works for me, the only thing i find with the shield is it gets a little walm during summer with a Balistics (protective ) coat on. Maurice

·
Registered
117 Posts
Windshield Lowers VN900

Thanks NorthWanderer, I have been busy with these thanks to satisfied customers and their remarks here. I will have to get shelf stock up to par shortly with spring approaching. Any questions PM, call or email and I will respond promptly. I am not at the computer often but my Blackberry is my life line to my business and I immediately respond to buyers transactions and calls or questions from folks. Hope spring gets here for all of us EARLY-I am personally going quite stir crazy. Take Care!

1 - 12 of 12 Posts