Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been talked about numerous times, but the buffeting is driving me crazy. I'm 5'5 have lowers and my shield angled back but the shaking of my helmet annoying. I always ride with ear plugs but it isn't helping. Any ideas would surely help. One more thing, can kawasaki please make a streetgide version of the 900. I don't need a radio but would love hard bags and a batwing fairing that doesn't weigh 800 pounds. Maybe they could add an overdrive fifth gear and cast alloy wheels so we could run tubless tires while they where at it. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
186 Posts
What size of lowers are you using, the OEM's? If you'll try and feel where the air is coming from that is hitting your helmet you'll probably find it's rolling up the sides of the tank. That would be a good indication that a increase in the lower size would be beneficial. It's been my experience that larger lowers usually will eliminate most of the buffeting providing the shield is tall and wide enough.

Skeeter

·
Registered
1,223 Posts
I'm with Skeeter, look to improved lowers for the buffeting. If you're interested in a full faring, i've seen one on Mean Cycles.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I had the same problem as you, had a MEMPHIS FATS 21" and MEMPHIS lowers but still had bad buffeting from the tank, really loved the look of the BATWING but was leary about doing all the fabrication to do the mounts, then "SHAZZAM" MEMPHIS now offers a simple batwing for metrics, same trigger lock mounts, ordered it put on the wing mounts took off the fats and slid the batwing right back on. Problem solved. Also got the wing lowers, now I sit back and enjoy the ride. Saw a web site on the forum for custom lowers that use the memphis lowers mount hardware an may give him a call: http://www.chucksterscustoms.com/Products check it out resonable price and will custom make any size you need (I think i saw that) oh and cast alloy wheels are available for a price (IF you have to ask you can't afford it) :eek:

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm 5' 10" and my dome bounces at times big time...I sure would like a smooth ride. Sometimes I can't even see straight it's so bad.

·
Registered
84 Posts
I'm 5'6" on a good day, and I had the buffeting and noise issue. The wind came, as stated above, over the right side of the tank and hit me right where the helmet meets my face. I actually think it is the gas cap that kicks the wind up, since the left side does not seem to have the issue. A ride in an interstate was like a rock concert!!! I picked up a set of Waterboys lowers and viola. I can even hear the valve train now. I did all the windshield adjustments known to man with no change. The difference, apparenly in Waterboys lowers is the width - after all he rides an LT. Check it out - BTW the look like they were put there in Japan too.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I'm 5'6" on a good day, and I had the buffeting and noise issue. The wind came, as stated above, over the right side of the tank and hit me right where the helmet meets my face. I actually think it is the gas cap that kicks the wind up, since the left side does not seem to have the issue. A ride in an interstate was like a rock concert!!! I picked up a set of Waterboys lowers and viola. I can even hear the valve train now. I did all the windshield adjustments known to man with no change. The difference, apparenly in Waterboys lowers is the width - after all he rides an LT. Check it out - BTW the look like they were put there in Japan too.
Where did you get them and how much?

·
Premium Member
3,670 Posts

·
Registered
41 Posts
Have you tried lowering (yes, lowering) your shield, so more of the on-coming rush of air strikes your helmet instead of going over it? This would be especially helpful if you feel a lot of wind coming from behind you. (and you're sure it's not coming from your old lady). Seriously, since you are a bit verically challenged, a windshield that is too tall can cause just as many buffeting problems as one that is too short.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Check out the link below on my accessories for the lowers! I'm 5'6" and fortuneately that extra inch helps me see over the headlight.:D The lowers have helped alot, however I still get the buffeting sometimes under certain conditions.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I purchased a set of Memphis Shade Lowers from my dealer. $85 bucks, but got them an put them on in 20 min and they work very well.
They are about 6" wide and they cut the wind by about 50-75% from over or around the gas tank.
Naturally I put them on with the handlebars turn to one side and attached them with 1/4" from the cobra engine guard and 1/4" from the blinker light.
Hit the highway to about 90 mph just to make sure they stayed put.
They worked better than I could imagine since I have never used lowers before.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Well not sure if this has any bearing but once i put my lowers on 85% of the buffeting went away. UNTIL i put my feet on my hwy bars then there is a whole new stream of air rushing at my head.

So Maybe if you have your feet out on the forward bars you are getting some turbulence from that.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts