Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm looking for a windshield for my 2009 900 Classic. I've read a lot of posts about Memphis fats and other aftermarket windshields. There seems to be a lot of complaints about being buffeted by wind using these windshields. My question is, do you still get the same wind buffeting using the OEM LT windshield?

·
Registered
1,044 Posts
I have an LT shield with lowers , only wind I am getting is on my arms , I can wear a ball cap lol

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have an LT shield with lowers , only wind I am getting is on my arms , I can wear a ball cap lol
Sounds like when I had my Harley Softail. I could ride without any wind bothering me. So it sounds like the LT windshield works better than the aftermarket ones. Do you know how tall it is?

·
Registered
953 Posts
I'm looking for a windshield for my 2009 900 Classic. I've read a lot of posts about Memphis fats and other aftermarket windshields. There seems to be a lot of complaints about being buffeted by wind using these windshields. My question is, do you still get the same wind buffeting using the OEM LT windshield?

RJM,

Sure you get buffeting with the OEM shield. There are a couple older threads that cover this same issue. It's easily solved with a set of lowers, either pre-manufactured or home made. Both will work just fine.

The OEM shield for the 900 measures 20 inches from tip of the headlight cutout to the top of the shield. For a reference, I am 5'9". On the lowest setting I can look right over the top with no issues.

KB

·
Registered
163 Posts
I don't know. I get no buffeting over the top, I have the Memphis Fats 21" and I'm 6'3" And whatever comes under I don't notice.

Try one first but definitely get the right height. You can always add the lowers.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'm 6' even. Do you think a 19" would be good for me? Thanks, Rich

I don't know. I get no buffeting over the top, I have the Memphis Fats 21" and I'm 6'3" And whatever comes under I don't notice.

Try one first but definitely get the right height. You can always add the lowers.
/QUOTE]

·
Registered
376 Posts
6' tall

I as 6' and the Memphis Fats 21"works well for me. I can look over or through the top with just a tilt of my head.

It is a combination of trying different angles and height adjustments to eliminate buffeting. The home made lowers made the biggest difference.

·
Registered
358 Posts
I've got the OEM windscreen and lowers. The buffeting is not coming from over the top of the windscreen, but from air blowing up from below the windscreen.
I did get vision-shaking buffeting at highway speeds while wearing a ff helmet before installing the lowers. The lowers reduced the buffeting effect greatly, but I also think my neck needed time to get used to the extra couple pounds and wind resistance of wearing a helmet.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Rjm 2 weeks ago I installed Memphis Fats 19" with quick release on my 900 classic. As soon I hit 40 mph I knew it was too short. ( Lots of vision shake). The memphis quick release has slotted connections to allow for about an inch in installation position. I installed at the highest setting. Last weekend I replaced the acrylic only to a 21". ( utilizing all purchased hardware). I haven't been able to get out and test it yet with all the rain as of late. I am also 6ft.
I agree with Bluecruiser. It's about finding right combination of ht and angle with the hardware.

·
Registered
543 Posts
I'm 6' with a 21" shield and have no buffeting. Have a space of about 2" between the headlight and shield. Helps keep me cooler on hot days.

·
Registered
4,477 Posts
I have an 800B with a MS windshield. Added lowers and it really improved the airflow. This past winter I added a Honda windshield vent to my MS and love it. When closed it flows just enough air to stop all buffeting and you can vary the opening in increments, during the warmer weather and stop and go traffic, so that I don't roast without any air flow. Great investment, under $50, and it took only a couple hours of careful cutting to install. JMHO

·
Registered
84 Posts
I've got the OEM windscreen and lowers. The buffeting is not coming from over the top of the windscreen, but from air blowing up from below the windscreen.
I did get vision-shaking buffeting at highway speeds while wearing a ff helmet before installing the lowers. The lowers reduced the buffeting effect greatly, but I also think my neck needed time to get used to the extra couple pounds and wind resistance of wearing a helmet.
I too get a lot of wind under the OEM shield and lowers combo, but I would not call it buffeting, it is constant. I seem to get it all on the right side. At 5'6" I get it right in the chin, so the taller riders may not have issues with this airflow. I think it is off the air intake cover - if I hold my hand flat at the tank level just in front of the airbox it goes away.

·
Registered
10 Posts
My wifes old 500 vulcan had a bad buffeting problem with an after market windshield . I angled the top back as far as possible and the problem was solved . Seems to me the air is trying to go around [left-right] instead of goin over the top. KCCO BB

·
Registered
1,044 Posts

Attachments

1 - 20 of 23 Posts