Kawasaki Vulcan Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys. Just got my bike friday night. I love it although I'm trying really hard not to horse it tooo much under the 600 miles. I've given her a run up to 95 mph no problems with more left but again this whole 600 mile thing, and I was sure to let off and let the engine break her back down to 70... I've already racked up about 375 miles. Anyways.... I come across some humps in the highway etc that will actually bounce me (weeeee) off the seat a little bit, and slam me back down on the saddle. Not cool. I think I need to lower the shock setting? Anyone else have this problem? Today was the first day my ass got sore... Sucks but hopefully I'll develop a callous or somethng hahaha. Also notes before the trip to deal's gap some 800 or so miles away. next month..... MUST GET WINDSHIELD! :D

·
Registered
711 Posts
Just type the word shock settings and you'll get more than enough info on this ;)

·
Registered
711 Posts
I keep mine on the factory setting. I ride 2up often and no issues.

·
Registered
50 Posts
After researching this prior to delivery of my bike I had the shop set mine to 5 There are 6 settings and this is one below top. I am 230 pounds and 6.2 I can ride 2 up with no bottom out issue on any bump and I dont find the stiffer setting a problem in fact I think it is a better ride.

Believe it or not the stiffer setting the smother the ride. It is an inverse thing. I know this statement will elicit alot of debate but the lower setting is done for Show and marketing to have the bike look more low slung. However a softer setting actualy allows for more bounce and more road jump than a stiffer setting. Seems backwards but I have found it to be true.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm just gonna have to play with it a little bit (no pun intended) I guess and see whats just right. It seems to be good for around town and seems ok through the twisties, but we'll see.

·
Registered
343 Posts
This bike needs about a inch more travel but the design don't allow for it.I have my shock turned all the way up still get the bounce on couple bumps on my commute,it did help.I'm 200lbs & would love to here some feed back on the progressive shock for this bike ,but don't think anybody wants to fork out the $500.00 to see how it works.

·
Registered
179 Posts
You will find the instructions for making the shock adjustment in your owners manual. I had to adjust mine up 1 notch, I'm 6ft and 200lb. I ride single 99% of the time.

·
Registered
39 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks, yeah I think I may try that,I had looked in the manual and saw that. I'm about 6' 180 myself. And ride solo pretty much all the time too. I think I will bump it up one notch and see how it goes.

·
Registered
295 Posts
Thanks, yeah I think I may try that,I had looked in the manual and saw that. I'm about 6' 180 myself. And ride solo pretty much all the time too. I think I will bump it up one notch and see how it goes.
I'm 6' 1" around 178 and I thought the rear was too stiff so I backed the preload off one notch, which was perfect for me.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts